PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start, won't turn over

musicarcade
06-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Went to leave work Wednesday and my Spyder wouldn't start. Was fine on the 15 mile ride to work, but when I tried to leave, I would turn the key, watch the display do its sweep w/ the speedometer, and tach, hit the the ignition and all I would get is a click sound in the back like a solenoid switching, and the display would do its sweep again and the display would come on and tell me to depress M.

Any ideas what the problem might be? The battery seems to be charged, I have all my lights and turn signals working and the headlights seem bright.....:dontknow:

Lamonster
06-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Sounds like a bad battery or bad connection to or from the battery. That's what I would check first.

musicarcade
06-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks Lamont-
It's being trailered in for service tomorrow- Hope I find out what it is soon so I can still plan on ryding to Chicago.:doorag:

SpyderWolf
06-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I hope they get it sorted out for you quickly so you can make the trip to Chicago.

My wife's Spyder did that one time, and it turned out the connector to the battery was loose. Hopefully it is something simple like that.

boborgera
06-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Lamont-
It's being trailered in for service tomorrow- Hope I find out what it is soon so I can still plan on ryding to Chicago.:doorag:

I agree with Lamont about being the battery'.
Something you could try before you take it in, If you have a battery charger with boost [start] position or booster cable's see if that will start the engine.

Blue Star
06-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Went to leave work Wednesday and my Spyder wouldn't start. Was fine on the 15 mile ride to work, but when I tried to leave, I would turn the key, watch the display do its sweep w/ the speedometer, and tach, hit the the ignition and all I would get is a click sound in the back like a solenoid switching, and the display would do its sweep again and the display would come on and tell me to depress M.

Any ideas what the problem might be? The battery seems to be charged, I have all my lights and turn signals working and the headlights seem bright.....:dontknow:

Maybe your Spyder was having so much fun at work, and did not want to leave :roflblack: If the battery connector turns out to be loose, check for dirt that might block a good connection.

pjp623
06-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I feel your pain. :gaah: Mine turns but won't start and I still haven't been able to find a solution.
Good luck.

canam9
06-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a bad battery or bad connection to or from the battery. That's what I would check first.

:agree:

musicarcade
06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Had the Spyder trailered from Beaufort to Summerville SC, as they are my new authorized Spyder service center. Chris from velocity powersports called me today and said the battery and starter were good, but they found some corroded connections that needed replacing and was done under warranty. I was a little surprised as my Spyder is nearly always garaged and I have had no electrical mods in the 10 months I've owned the:spyder:. He also said the detected some exhaust leaks and ordered some gaskets to fix that issue (under warranty as well)
I wasn't aware of the exhaust issue and it feels a bit more comforting knowing I now can take my :spyder:somewhere and they seem to have a clue about servicing it:thumbup:

pjp623
06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
You're very fortunate to have found a service center that is accomidating and knows what they're doing--I'm still searching.
These things ain't easy to work on. :ohyea:

SpyderWolf
06-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Had the Spyder trailered from Beaufort to Summerville SC, as they are my new authorized Spyder service center. Chris from velocity powersports called me today and said the battery and starter were good, but they found some corroded connections that needed replacing and was done under warranty. I was a little surprised as my Spyder is nearly always garaged and I have had no electrical mods in the 10 months I've owned the:spyder:. He also said the detected some exhaust leaks and ordered some gaskets to fix that issue (under warranty as well)
I wasn't aware of the exhaust issue and it feels a bit more comforting knowing I now can take my :spyder:somewhere and they seem to have a clue about servicing it:thumbup:

Thanks for the good report on Velocity Powersports. I am still searching for a dealer I can trust, and it sounds like they may be worth trying as well. Especially if they are covering exhaust gaskets under warranty. :thumbup:

I stopped in there once, but did not see any Spyders on the showroom floor and that worried me a little. Did they have any on display while you were there? Of course, it could also be a good thing meaning they are selling them as quickly as they are getting them in. :dontknow:

Tom in NM
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
. . . . . Chris from velocity powersports called me today and said the battery and starter were good, but they found some corroded connections that needed replacing and was done under warranty. . . . . .

:agree: A good service department will make all the difference in the world!

One question, what/where were the corroded connections? I just saw this post this AM and was thinking that if the dash console was not seated or corroded, it might cause the kind of problem you were experiencing. Battery, fuses, dash - would have been my troubleshooting path.

Tom

bodymanpainter
06-09-2010, 12:40 PM
:agree:I have a great dealer (North Jax Motor Sports) In Jacksonville Fl. They never cease to amaze me when it comes to repairing my Syders fast and completely the first time!:2thumbs:

musicarcade
06-09-2010, 12:40 PM
:agree: A good service department will make all the difference in the world!

One question, what/where were the corroded connections? I just saw this post this AM and was thinking that if the dash console was not seated or corroded, it might cause the kind of problem you were experiencing. Battery, fuses, dash - would have been my troubleshooting path.

Tom
I'm curious about the corrosion location myself- I'll ask when I get the Spyder. I take a lot of care w/ my :spyder: so I'd like to know if it was something I could have prevented or not... nI'll post when I find out...
Spyderwolf - Apparntly they sell a lot of Spyders. when I was in the store all they had on display was a trailer....

Also- remember the guy that was killed on his 2010 white Spyder?
Apparently he owned 3 Spyders and there was no findings of anything wrong w/ the spyder, but he apparently was not in a sober condition...
Not many good things happen on the road at 3am:doorag:

SpyderWolf
06-09-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm curious about the corrosion location myself- I'll ask when I get the Spyder. I take a lot of care w/ my :spyder: so I'd like to know if it was something I could have prevented or not... nI'll post when I find out...
Spyderwolf - Apparntly they sell a lot of Spyders. when I was in the store all they had on display was a trailer....

Also- remember the guy that was killed on his 2010 white Spyder?
Apparently he owned 3 Spyders and there was no findings of anything wrong w/ the spyder, but he apparently was not in a sober condition...
Not many good things happen on the road at 3am:doorag:

Thanks for the update Tom. I was hoping that their was nothing wrong with his Spyder, while at the same time hoping he was not under the influence as well. That is truly a shame. :(

Raptor
06-24-2010, 12:23 AM
:agree: It is unfortunate indeed.

Regarding the starting issue, mine had a similar problem. Mine would not turn over, no click, NADA! This was on the weekend I bought it, Memorial day weekend. The tech from the dealer actually came over and got it fixed.

Turns out I shut the engine down in gear. SE5's do not like this! When you do the computer get confused and goes into some kind of scramble mode reagarding gear position. I am not sure what he did but he got the computer to reset. When it finally started, it went into a limp mode. He shut it down again, restarted, and I haven't had the problem since. Of course, I have not shut down in gear since either!! ;)

SpyderWolf
06-24-2010, 05:14 AM
:agree: It is unfortunate indeed.

Regarding the starting issue, mine had a similar problem. Mine would not turn over, no click, NADA! This was on the weekend I bought it, Memorial day weekend. The tech from the dealer actually came over and got it fixed.

Turns out I shut the engine down in gear. SE5's do not like this! When you do the computer get confused and goes into some kind of scramble mode reagarding gear position. I am not sure what he did but he got the computer to reset. When it finally started, it went into a limp mode. He shut it down again, restarted, and I haven't had the problem since. Of course, I have not shut down in gear since either!! ;)

That is interesting as well. Normally if you shut down in gear you will be in 1st as the SE5 downshifted there automatically. To start it you just put your foot on the brake, and when it starts it shifts into neutral on its own. In this case it sounds like something else flaked out on yours as well. At least you had a tech that was able to fix it on the spot for you though, and that is a very good thing.

Tom, have you gotten an update on the status of your Spyder yet? :dontknow:

Trickie Dick
06-24-2010, 06:21 AM
I always just shut it off in whatever gear I end up. AS Spyderwolf said, that is normally first. Never had an issue. :dontknow:

freebob
06-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I feel your pain. :gaah: Mine turns but won't start and I still haven't been able to find a solution.
Good luck.
If Spyder turns and won't start, It has to be either ignition or fuel problem'
Check to see first if your getting spark at plugs if spark ok it should be fuel problem....freebob...:doorag:

freebob
06-24-2010, 09:46 AM

Well I was gald to hear your Spyder is back in service to bad you have to go so far to get it fixed,I'm sure like me you wish we had
a dealer close by, Corrosion will cause voltage drop and send :spyder2: into sleep mode..lol....freebob...:doorag:

horse171
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Sold my 2008..bought a 2010... the fellow that bought mine has a similar problem except when he pushes start button there's a loud click and everything shuts down...almost like a short in starter button...says he saw puff of smoke....still on warenty and in dealers right now...hopefully they'll get it fixed for him.

CaptRalph
06-24-2010, 11:25 AM
My 2008 SM5 did the exact same thing about a month ago, when I was trying to come home from work. I had to try it about 6 times before I got it started. It would do its sweep, then when I hit the ignition switch, it would click on the right hand side, then shut the display off. I would have to turn the key back to off then back on, where it would do the sweep, had to press M again, then hit the start only to have it click and shut off again. My dealer in Deland, FL found some corroded/bad connectors supposedly on the battery. I had about 13,000 miles at the time, and my :spyder: is garaged as night, and is only out in the weather when I'm at work, or riding around. The problem has not reappeared so I'm cautiously optimistic that it is fixed.

Raptor
06-24-2010, 02:43 PM
This has been somewhat enlightening. I think that moving forward I will check/clean battery connectors every other oil change, perhaps every change during wet months. Better to be safe and take care of the things that you can control!

With those that had harness and/or connector issues, was there one in particular that caused the problem? I'm creating a cheat sheet for "things to check if..." I figure it sure couldn't hurt to leverage these pieces of wisdom! :D

musicarcade
06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Called the shop today (thursday) as it has been over a week since I went to pick up the :spyder: only to have it do the same thing (not start) when I pulled over to put on rain gear. They got it started again in the shop and have run it, but aren't sure why it wouldn't start. before. They figure it's "done" as it wont "not start" on them.

I now have no confidence with this :spyder:.

Not only did I lose out on the CHICAGO EVENT, I am concerned that my Spyder won't be able to make it to Gatlinburg this fall. as my :spyder: now has spent 4 months in reapair shops and only two months in my garage this year.

..And I want to drive this to AZ in Sept 2011???:shocked:

I tell ya, if this ryde leaves me stranded one more time this summer, I will be pulling the comfort seat, the Madstadt brackets and windshield, selling them on Ebay and demanding for BRP to take it back and pay the balance of my loannojoke

SpyderWolf
06-24-2010, 10:02 PM
Called the shop today (thursday) as it has been over a week since I went to pick up the :spyder: only to have it do the same thing (not start) when I pulled over to put on rain gear. They got it started again in the shop and have run it, but aren't sure why it wouldn't start. before. They figure it's "done" as it wont "not start" on them.

I now have no confidence with this :spyder:.

Not only did I lose out on the CHICAGO EVENT, I am concerned that my Spyder won't be able to make it to Gatlinburg this fall. as my :spyder: now has spent 4 months in reapair shops and only two months in my garage this year.

..And I want to drive this to AZ in Sept 2011???:shocked:

I tell ya, if this ryde leaves me stranded one more time this summer, I will be pulling the comfort seat, the Madstadt brackets and windshield, selling them on Ebay and demanding for BRP to take it back and pay the balance of my loannojoke
That truly sucks, and I can understand your frustration as well.

When are you going to pick it back up?

Raptor
06-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Maybe I'm wrong here but this seems to be more of an issue with the SE5s. For what it's worth, I do not shut my engine off in any gear but nuetral now. This was a factory advisory, so my dealer says. All I can say is that I have not had the problem since that first time. Like I said, for what it's worth...:dontknow:

musicarcade
06-25-2010, 07:05 PM
I told them I'm not picking it up this time. They were supposed to trailer it to me this week. It's now Friday night and I haven't heard from the driver. I am not surprised. :sour: At this point I don't expect it to run, I missed Chicago, and it's too damned hot anyway. I'm not in any hurry to be stranded for hours in this heat:chill:

musicarcade
06-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Maybe I'm wrong here but this seems to be more of an issue with the SE5s. For what it's worth, I do not shut my engine off in any gear but nuetral now. This was a factory advisory, so my dealer says. All I can say is that I have not had the problem since that first time. Like I said, for what it's worth...:dontknow:

I shut it off in Neutral nearly every time.

SpyderWolf
06-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Hopefully they will trailer it back to you soon.

I rode to an opthamology appointment in Aiken today. When I was leaving the ambient temp gauge showed 107. Running 65 mph for a while finally dropped it down to 100. Good news is the Spyder was only running at 4 bars on the temp gauge at 65 in that heat.

We still need to find time to get together for a ryde as well. I am going to Augusta for a poker run tomorrow morning, and am supposed to meet GI Joe there. :thumbup:

Raptor
06-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Here we go AGAIN.

I was on my way home from work and I wanted to take a run to the coast. Just before I got to the twisties (Hiway 84 through the mountains) I stopped in a gas station to top off my tank. Guess what I did? I SHUT IT OFF IN 1st GEAR! Guess what happened? THE :cus: :cus: :cus: THING WOULD NOT START!

I rolled it out of the way, and started going throught the whole cycling through the start process. On the 5th attempt, I got up on the foot pegs, Gave a good jump or two, cycled the kill swirch, turned the key, let it go through initialization, and BOOM! It started! :2thumbs:

I shut it down to see if it would start again, and it did. But this time the check engine light came on and guess what the message said? CHECK DPS!! :spyder:

At this point I am boiling mad, so I rode hard all the way through the twisties, all the way to the coast, up the coast and back home. About 60 miles in all, and it did just fine! The steering felt a bit harder than usual, but to tell you the truth, I did better with it like that! I had to kind of man-handle it and throw it around, and I enjoyed it!

SO I reckon I have to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I'm riding on though. I dont give a :cus: !

NancysToy
06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Here we go AGAIN.

I was on my way home from work and I wanted to take a run to the coast. Just before I got to the twisties (Hiway 84 through the mountains) I stopped in a gas station to top off my tank. Guess what I did? I SHUT IT OFF IN 1st GEAR! Guess what happened? THE :cus: :cus: :cus: THING WOULD NOT START!

I rolled it out of the way, and started going throught the whole cycling through the start process. On the 5th attempt, I got up on the foot pegs, Gave a good jump or two, cycled the kill swirch, turned the key, let it go through initialization, and BOOM! It started! :2thumbs:

I shut it down to see if it would start again, and it did. But this time the check engine light came on and guess what the message said? CHECK DPS!! :spyder:

At this point I am boiling mad, so I rode hard all the way through the twisties, all the way to the coast, up the coast and back home. About 60 miles in all, and it did just fine! The steering felt a bit harder than usual, but to tell you the truth, I did better with it like that! I had to kind of man-handle it and throw it around, and I enjoyed it!

SO I reckon I have to call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. I'm riding on though. I dont give a :cus: !
First, check to see that the battery terminals are clean and tight, and that all the relays are well seated.

Raptor
06-25-2010, 11:36 PM
First, check to see that the battery terminals are clean and tight, and that all the relays are well seated.

You seem to have amazing insight into to the technical aspects of this machine. I will do that and hope it clears. I have to admit though, my confidence in this machine is somewhat shaken. First the no-start issue, then the defective clutch which is scheduled to be replaced June 30, and now this... :(

Oh well, I'm gonna keep riding. It hasn't dropped dead yet so ride on I will!

SpyderWolf
06-26-2010, 05:25 AM
I had an issue after playing on the banks at Daytona Speedway where my Check DPS light stayed on even after clearing all of the other codes. For some reason the other codes cleared within 1 minute of having the Spyder turned off but the DPS did not. After the ryde around the track I shut it down and let it sit for about 3 minutes or so. Checked it again and the DPS warning was gone. It has not come back since then either. I also check to make sure my fuses are fully seated quite often.

Hopefully it was just a slight hiccup, and things will be back to normal for you.

krb1945
06-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Next time you check the battery terminals install a set of the the anti-corrosion pads on the terminals. They are available anywhere they sell batteries. I've used them for years and have never experienced a corroded terminal.

A little reminder... every component on the spyder is controlled by something using electricity from the battery. If you lighten the load on the battery some you will provide more power to the nanny, electric steering unit and many other components. You can lighten the load by using the LED pucks in the signals, 194 equivlents in the tips and you can get LEDs for the brake/running lights. Just changing the tips from the OEM bulbs to one watt LEDs saves 8 watts of power. Granted you will probably only reduce the light load by half but that means there is more power available to the important stuff. During the heat of the summer, I recorded 112 yesterday at 3pm in Loganville GA, these little batteries take a beating. An example of the power one watt has is "one watt of power under the right conditions can send a morse code signal around the world."

You can also lighten the load on the starter and battery by using the best engine lubricant you can get. The better the lube the easier the engine turns.
Ken krb1945

NancysToy
06-26-2010, 06:16 AM
I had an issue after playing on the banks at Daytona Speedway where my Check DPS light stayed on even after clearing all of the other codes. For some reason the other codes cleared within 1 minute of having the Spyder turned off but the DPS did not. After the ryde around the track I shut it down and let it sit for about 3 minutes or so. Checked it again and the DPS warning was gone. It has not come back since then either. I also check to make sure my fuses are fully seated quite often.

Hopefully it was just a slight hiccup, and things will be back to normal for you.
When you were on the banks, your yaw sensor was tilted more than your other steering sensors said it should be. That tricked the Spyder into thinking your DPS or VSS was goofed up. It did what it was programmed to do. Back on the flat, shut off long enough to reset, and it breathed a sigh of relief.

dancogan
06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
When you were on the banks, your yaw sensor was tilted more than your other steering sensors said it should be. That tricked the Spyder into thinking your DPS or VSS was goofed up. It did what it was programmed to do. Back on the flat, shut off long enough to reset, and it breathed a sigh of relief.
As someone said earlier, you really do know a lot about these bikes! I'm impressed. :clap::clap::clap:

musicarcade
06-26-2010, 11:45 AM
As someone said earlier, you really do know a lot about these bikes! I'm impressed. :clap::clap::clap:

I sure wish you could look at my Spyder Scotty!
No one seems to be able to get mine to start.

I've had it.

SpyderWolf
06-26-2010, 04:45 PM

Yes sir, according to Kurt from BRP my Spyder thought I was ryding on my side and didn't know how else to compensate for it. :thumbup:

I've had it.

That sucks Tom. I am truly sorry to hear this as well.

NancysToy
06-27-2010, 03:43 PM

I've had it.
I am no technician...just an old-fashioned dope of a mechanic. There has to be a logical reason for your starting problem, but it is difficult to determine, even for the best tech on earth, if the problem is intermittent. One question, does it make a difference which key you use? If it does (with the other key away from the bike, it could be a bad key chip. Beyond that, all you or your tech can do is start with the basics...battery connections clean and tight, battery fully charged and holds charge well, wiring connectors clean and tight, etc. From there you may have to branch off into computer modules. I hope you get it tracked down real soon. Things like this can make you nuts.

Raptor
06-28-2010, 03:40 PM
UPDATE!! I did what Scotty said to do. I let her sit for a good long while (so she could think about what she had done!!) and then proceeded to pull relays, clean contacts, re-seat fuses and re-install the realys.

I then put all the acess covers back on, put the key in,turned her on and she went through the initialization, started right up and NO CHECK DPS ALARM!! :clap: I am on the road and feeling better about things. :ohyea:

Scotty, I thank you very much for the insight. :bowdown: This too will go on my "trouble shooters cheat sheet". I guess being a wanna be wrencher from another era precluded me from thinking about all these electronics and how sensitive they can be. Y'all should take note on this one! It could save the day for you. :2thumbs: Lamont had a great point also about carrying a spare relay or two with you in the trunk. You see, that's the beauty of having a trunk!!

SpyderWolf
06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
UPDATE!! I did what Scotty said to do. I let her sit for a good long while (so she could think about what she had done!!) and then proceeded to pull relays, clean contacts, re-seat fuses and re-install the realys.

I then put all the acess covers back on, put the key in,turned her on and she went through the initialization, started right up and NO CHECK DPS ALARM!! :clap: I am on the road and feeling better about things. :ohyea:

Scotty, I thank you very much for the insight. :bowdown: This too will go on my "trouble shooters cheat sheet". I guess being a wanna be wrencher from another era precluded me from thinking about all these electronics and how sensitive they can be. Y'all should take note on this one! It could save the day for you. :2thumbs: Lamont had a great point also about carrying a spare relay or two with you in the trunk. You see, that's the beauty of having a trunk!!

:congrats:

Very glad to hear your issues seem to be resolved, and you are up and running again.

Tom, do you have any updates on your Spyder yet?

musicarcade
06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
can get it started, still cannot get it out of gear.
dealer is sending diagnostic data for BRP tech to advise.:shocked:
:gaah::banghead::gaah::banghead::gaah::banghead::g aah::banghead::gaah::banghead::gaah::banghead::gaa h:

Day 29 without Spyder for this issue

91 days without Spyder for DPS steering issue earlier this year.

3 service depts. since December.

I am envious now of those that actually get to ryde.

Instead of getting questions about my Spyder from those curious about it, I get questions and dismay from friends and co-workers wondering why they don't take back my lemon.

It gets really REALLY OLD to go to work each day and have co-workers and others ask about your :spyder: and to tell them it's still in the shop. Really makes you feel like a :joke:
nojoke

freebob
06-30-2010, 02:13 PM

:cus::spyder::yikes::(......Damm. This is worst than a Soap Opera...:chat:
freebob.....:doorag:

bjt
06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
...Instead of getting questions about my Spyder from those curious about it, I get questions and dismay from friends and co-workers wondering why they don't take back my lemon.

It gets really REALLY OLD to go to work each day and have co-workers and others ask about your :spyder: and to tell them it's still in the shop. Really makes you feel like a :joke:
nojoke

I was in the same boat earlier this year. Thankfully my Spyder has been running good so far this summer.

Raptor
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
can get it started, still cannot get it out of gear.
dealer is sending diagnostic data for BRP tech to advise.:shocked:
:gaah::banghead::gaah::banghead::gaah::banghead::g aah::banghead::gaah::banghead::gaah::banghead::gaa h:

Day 29 without Spyder for this issue

91 days without Spyder for DPS steering issue earlier this year.

3 service depts. since December.

I am envious now of those that actually get to ryde.

Instead of getting questions about my Spyder from those curious about it, I get questions and dismay from friends and co-workers wondering why they don't take back my lemon.

nojoke

Gosh I hope they can get something going for you. This is really a saga of stupidity if you ask me. BRP should step up and aggressively work your case. I'll be thinking good things for you man...:pray:

SpyderWolf
06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
I can't believe they still can't figure out how to get it out of gear. Hopefully they are really in contact with BRP and will be able to resolve it soon, and not just saying something in an attempt to pacify you a little while longer.

I met up with GI Joe in Augusta for a poker run this past Saturday. After the run we went to the Dairy Queen, where he told me he was still having trouble with his power steering. This has been an issue for him since November, and his dealer in Ohio says there is nothing wrong with it and all of their Spyders are like that. I did not even have to leave the parking lot with it, and it was obvious he has no power steering whatsoever. He got on mine and could tell the difference before he even moved forward. :yikes: He is now leaving it with the Augusta dealer to get it sorted out, and I am hoping he will not be disappointed with their service.

I just don't understand how these dealerships can continue to operate like this, all the while giving BRP a bad reputation. I know this is not all dealers, but it sure does seem like we are hearing more and more stories about bad dealer experiences and Spyders being held hostage.

Raptor
06-30-2010, 09:58 PM
:agree: It seems to me that BRP is relying a bit too heavily on their dealers and then not checking up on their performance to ensure a good customer experiernce. Spare and replacement parts availability has also been an issue.

Even worse, there does not seem to be any escalation process above the dealership in question. I think BRP needs to get more reps out in the field and put themselves in a better position to deal with cases like this. This is just WRONG.

kismaokole
07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Got my brand new 09 Spyder today 01Jul10 with 1.3 miles on it. Had it delivered by HaulBikes.com after it sat on their warehouse for over a month before I got it today. Driver/delivery person drove the bike from the unloading dock of truck to my driveway, tested and started the bike and it was all good. I signed the release papers, prepared to drive to garage and when I tried to start it..message says ABS Fault, VSS Fault and would not turn over. The horn sounds funky so i will try to charge/jump start it. I feel so frustrated..reminds me of the joke about those guys who blow themselves up for the promise of 21 virgins only to find 21 VIRGINIANS beating the crap out of them..all will be fine.. just keeping my fingers crossed.

kismaokole - M109R from the previous life.

NancysToy
07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Got my brand new 09 Spyder today 01Jul10 with 1.3 miles on it. Had it delivered by HaulBikes.com after it sat on their warehouse for over a month before I got it today. Driver/delivery person drove the bike from the unloading dock of truck to my driveway, tested and started the bike and it was all good. I signed the release papers, prepared to drive to garage and when I tried to start it..message says ABS Fault, VSS Fault and would not turn over. The horn sounds funky so i will try to charge/jump start it. I feel so frustrated..reminds me of the joke about those guys who blow themselves up for the promise of 21 virgins only to find 21 VIRGINIANS beating the crap out of them..all will be fine.. just keeping my fingers crossed.

kismaokole - M109R from the previous life.
Low battery is certainly a possibility. Also, check the relays in the fusebox to see that they are all well seated. A loose relay will cause cascading failure codes, like that, and can also prevent starting.

kismaokole
07-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Low battery is certainly a possibility. Also, check the relays in the fusebox to see that they are all well seated. A loose relay will cause cascading failure codes, like that, and can also prevent starting.

Thanks. I think the Main Relay#2 is the culprit. The cluster lamp went blank and when I swapped the headlamp relay to it, the cluster lamp went back on. Must be the culprit for the ABS Fault VSS Fault too and the reason for not starting? Will get replacement relays and spares too. But day one and 1.3 miles on the Spyder sure makes me feel like I am the luckiest man in the world. Will find out after I get the replacements. Stay safe and happy.

musicarcade
07-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Just got a call from dealer. They are going to replace the DESS module and I need to send them my spare key so it will be able to ID it (I guess).
Over a month in the shop and they now have a *possible* diagnosis.:dontknow:.

SpyderWolf
07-09-2010, 04:52 AM
Just got a call from dealer. They are going to replace the DESS module and I need to send them my spare key so it will be able to ID it (I guess).
Over a month in the shop and they now have a *possible* diagnosis.:dontknow:.

Did they give you any type of estimate on how long it is going to take to get that part and replace it? In this amount of time they should have been able to replace all of the electronic components on your Spyder in order to troubleshoot it. :shocked:

I truly hope this is the cause, and they are able to get it taken care of quickly for you. Of course, at this point, quickly is a relative term now.

tlb2525
07-09-2017, 02:59 PM
We got a new Can Am dealership just a few miles from where I live. I stopped in to pick up a part and asked the parts guy if it would be possible to talk to the mechanic. He knew I didn't buy the bike from them and gave me a nervous answer, like he was afraid what the mechanic would say...like in a whisper. I drove 70 miles to the place I purchased it from. Mechanic told me he's heard of the business practices and unhappy customers of the new place.