PDA

View Full Version : Subtle Steering Problems

LaughingHeart
06-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I want to describe some subtle steering problems I had Memorial Day. Perhaps it will help someone else. Jim and I went for a ride - he on his BMW, me on my Spyder. We came to an entrance ramp to a freeway on our left. I steered onto the ramp and was surprised that the Spyder went straight. There was plenty of room and no traffic nearby. I wondered if I was having steering problems. But I was able to steer easily onto the ramp with only a momentary hesitation by the Spyder. The steering did not lock up. It was very subtle, leaving me wondering if I had somehow not steered correctly.

Then 3 times in the next few miles the Spyder suddenly "twiched" and I found myself partly in the next lane. It almost felt like I had been hit by a strong crosswind. Again there was no traffic immediately around me, and I was able to steer back easily. It was very subtle, but also quite scary. Although I knew the answer was no, I asked Jim if he felt crosswinds. When he said no, we stopped. I was pretty sure I was having steering issues. However it was subtle enough, that had I not read about other people's experiences, I would have missed it.

We took the Spyder to our wonderful dealer. To my very great relief, when they plugged her into their computer, she did drop the codes they needed for BRP to authorize a new DPS unit.

I am very grateful my experience was such an easy one compared to what others have experienced. I also wonder if as the DPS begins to fail, it first does subtle things like I experienced that are very easy to miss. I am also grateful for my wonderful husband who did not question at all what I had experienced. Our dealer also believed me and immediately did what was necessary to get a new DPS for me. I hope my experience can perhaps help someone else recognize problems as early as I did.

canam9
06-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Very nice. Good for you.:2thumbs: