PDA

View Full Version : Cost for 20,000 mile maint

silver fox
06-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Would like to know if anyone know the going price/cost for service for 20,000 mile check and what they do for the cost I was quoted price for $900.00 PLUS need feedback :yikes:

bruceofthebronx
06-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Did it come with any Vaseline???? Wow, what dealership?

jabba11
06-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Would like to know if anyone know the going price/cost for service for 20,000 mile check and what they do for the cost I was quoted price for $900.00 PLUS need feedback :yikes:
Feedback?? How bout my middle finger for your dealer. Sorry I cant get beyond the kind of prices dealers are asking for service. Granted there are a lot of things to replace at 20,000 miles. Also if you have an SE you have to replace some control module and that sounds expensive. The rest is mostly in time I would suppose although I have yet to find a part for the bike that is "cheap". However all that said at 100 plus ludicrous bucks an hour I can see how this service would add up time wise, there is quite a bit of work to be done.

FANG
06-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Can't say what 20K will cost but will tell you my 12K was $760. :mad:

boborgera
06-04-2010, 09:41 AM
:dontknow:
On the face of it it might seem like a lot of money.
But go and buy all the materials needed , figure in all the over head, remember now,
''ALL'' the over head, electric, advertisement, rent, insurance, etc, etc,
Oh yeah let's not forget business TAX'S:yikes:
Then let me know what you think?
Also what do you think their time is worth?[rhetorical]

I ran a small business the rent alone would choke you. :yikes:

jabba11
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
:dontknow:
On the face of it it might seem like a lot of money.
But go and buy all the materials needed , figure in all the over head, remember now,
''ALL'' the over head, electric, advertisement, rent, insurance, etc, etc,
Oh yeah let's not forget business TAX'S:yikes:
Then let me know what you think?
Also what do you think their time is worth?[rhetorical]

I ran a small business the rent alone would choke you. :yikes:

I have ran 3 businesses over my lifetime I am fully aware of the costs of doing business. I will tell you what a dealer charges is gonna vary on location volume and many other variables for sure. I want you to consider this.. a spyder with 20000 miles thats two years old is worth what say maybe 11,000 dolars resale. So a 20000 mile service costs almost 1/10 the entire resale value of the motorcycle...does that sound reasonable to you? I have a 2003 jeep that I bought 5 years ago. It has 72000 miles on it and I have had zero issues with it. It has been to a shop zero times for service. Cost of an oil change 29 bucks every 5000 miles. Now I know thats comparing apples to oranges some but still these are both vehicles designed in essence to get you from point a to point b. All of my harleys required some dealer service from time to time but I NEVER paid that much for any service. The real issue I think is that the bike requires waaaayyyyy to much dealer service of waaaayyyy to many parts. I love my spyder and will continue to ride it and service it to the best of my abilities. Paying 900 for a service every 20000 miles isnt gonna happen foe me. I will wait till something fails and replace whats broke. It theorectically sounds cheaper to me. I would venture to guess that if you kept a spyder for 100000 miles you would pay more to service it at a dealer than you paid to buy it...does anyone think that sounds messed up or what?:chat:

Sarge707
06-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I have ran 3 businesses over my lifetime I am fully aware of the costs of doing business. I will tell you what a dealer charges is gonna vary on location volume and many other variables for sure. I want you to consider this.. a spyder with 20000 miles thats two years old is worth what say maybe 11,000 dolars resale. So a 20000 mile service costs almost 1/10 the entire resale value of the motorcycle...does that sound reasonable to you? I have a 2003 jeep that I bought 5 years ago. It has 72000 miles on it and I have had zero issues with it. It has been to a shop zero times for service. Cost of an oil change 29 bucks every 5000 miles. Now I know thats comparing apples to oranges some but still these are both vehicles designed in essence to get you from point a to point b. All of my harleys required some dealer service from time to time but I NEVER paid that much for any service. The real issue I think is that the bike requires waaaayyyyy to much dealer service of waaaayyyy to many parts. I love my spyder and will continue to ride it and service it to the best of my abilities. Paying 900 for a service every 20000 miles isnt gonna happen foe me. I will wait till something fails and replace whats broke. It theorectically sounds cheaper to me. I would venture to guess that if you kept a spyder for 100000 miles you would pay more to service it at a dealer than you paid to buy it...does anyone think that sounds messed up or what?:chat:
:agree: I will do my own to the best of my ability.
If I did pay that much I would insist on watching every little thing they did? And that ain,t gonna happen!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

boborgera
06-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Your right the service schedule is over kill, I haven't been back to the dealer, not for 600, 3000, 6000, 12000,
But many Spyder owners feel for one reason or another they want to [or have to] follow the schedule. So at that point
i don't think 900 is unreasonable. You can't compare service on Harley's or for that matter Japanese bikes to a Spyder.
I would tell my costumers when they didn't like what i charged for a job, go to somebody else i won't get mad. And if they screw it up I'll fix it for you no hard feelings.
By the way i ran only one business, 35 years at the same location.

dave711
06-04-2010, 12:49 PM
I think the service prices are really high... but our dealer has a service plan for 6 years for everything $1500... I took it and it covers everything... except crashes... hopefully not!

jabba11
06-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I think the service prices are really high... but our dealer has a service plan for 6 years for everything $1500... I took it and it covers everything... except crashes... hopefully not!
If my dealer were close I may have taken advantage of that as long as it was dealer transferable. I have heard BEST has this kind of coverage and that certainly would be the way to go. You say 6 years, is there a mileage limit to that?? are parts extra? etc just curious. If its from a dealer then you have to worry a little about them going out of business. I have heard that was an issue for some folks with this kind of contract.

Big Iron
06-04-2010, 12:57 PM
My dealer here in Cleveland has it posted that the 12,000 mile service is $1,600.00. So I'm wondering myself what the 20,000 would cost?

jabba11
06-04-2010, 01:09 PM
:barf::barf::barf:
My dealer here in Cleveland has it posted that the 12,000 mile service is $1,600.00. So I'm wondering myself what the 20,000 would cost?

ARtraveler
06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Here's 3 cents more. I concur that service at $100 per hour is pretty high. I will be bringing my RTS in for 6000 miles in a couple of weeks--and am expecting to pay $500-$1000. The big thing for me is customer satisfaction. My dealer charges the shop rate he needs to stay in business, he has treated me right through 9 years of doing business with me, 6 motorcycles (3 of them Spyders). They have always handled problems when the few that have happened came along. They have always fixed or serviced the bikes right--the first time, and I know they will still be there the next time I drive up and need service or want to buy another bike. Dealers that rip off customers, do shoddy work, or are fly-by-night, should be posted to us as warnings to stay away from. Unfortunately we have heard a lot about the bad ones--but there are some good ones out there too. The Spyder is a pretty high tech machine which is not user friendly as far as home repairs go for me, that is partly the reason for the high maintainence costs we are hearing about.

vt228
06-04-2010, 01:52 PM
20,000 mile is 675 to 700 dollars valve inspetion oil tune up the works
to let you no valves have to be checked at 6000 miles I was told :yikes:

jabba11
06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Here's 3 cents more. I concur that service at $100 per hour is pretty high. I will be bringing my RTS in for 6000 miles in a couple of weeks--and am expecting to pay $500-$1000. The big thing for me is customer satisfaction. My dealer charges the shop rate he needs to stay in business, he has treated me right through 9 years of doing business with me, 6 motorcycles (3 of them Spyders). They have always handled problems when the few that have happened came along. They have always fixed or serviced the bikes right--the first time, and I know they will still be there the next time I drive up and need service or want to buy another bike. Dealers that rip off customers, do shoddy work, or are fly-by-night, should be posted to us as warnings to stay away from. Unfortunately we have heard a lot about the bad ones--but there are some good ones out there too. The Spyder is a pretty high tech machine which is not user friendly as far as home repairs go for me, that is partly the reason for the high maintainence costs we are hearing about.
You seem to have a great dealer that you are happy with and willing to pay for that and I can understand that totally. A good dealer you trust and does good work is a really nice treat.You are right the spyder by comparison is a complex machine..However my wifes Ford focus is most likely as complex in its design and manufacture and it requires simple maintenance to run and operate. To own a spyder at this point is accepting the reality that it is expensive to maintain no matter what method you choose to maintenance it. That will not appeal to the masses though if BRP's desire is to sell Spyders. For me spending 3000 a year min to keep the bike operating is not an option and its not for most people. If you cant tell this has been a sticky point for me and MY Spyder ownership and I am not sure what can be done about it. Truthfully maybe nothing as maybe its just me. Id like to say I am a spyder owner for life but at this point I am not ready to say that simply because of this issue. I have just over 6000 miles on the spyder in 8 months which is a heck of a lot more than i ever did on my harley's and I havent had ANY problems with the machine and I absolutley LOVE driving it and plan to keep on doing so, but if it becomes a terrible sinkhole for my money I will part with it.

jabba11
06-04-2010, 03:49 PM
20,000 mile is 675 to 700 dollars valve inspetion oil tune up the works
to let you no valves have to be checked at 6000 miles I was told :yikes:
Yes valves are suppsoed to be checked at 6000 miles however the consensus on this board is that unless you are having problems starting yours this is overkill and most likely not necessary however only you can make that call.

ARtraveler
06-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Re: Valves---my dealer has had private talks with ????, and the consensus seems to be that valves dont need to be worked on till 15-20K miles. He looked at the valves on his 2008 at 20K and they needed no adjustment.

jnt
06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Yeah, service is expensive. Almost bought a VW van. Then watched friends pay nearly 3 times what I pay on my Subaru for near-identical service.

You might find an independent who will do work for less. 1. Does he know/is certified for Spyders? 2. Does he guarantee his work?

Oh - service on my K12LT ain't cheap either. Part of it for high-tech stuff.

stillriding
06-11-2010, 06:45 PM

I think we have the same dealer. Across from the Ford Casting Plant, right? My 600 mile service cost $255.00; $155 for 3,000 miles. At least these prices include the oil, filters, etc.

Smylinacha
06-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Spyder is fun and all but I think the service is over the top when it comes to taking it in for service and paying for it. It's like owning a pedigree cat, gotta keep it happy or it pisses all over the house.

bone crusher
06-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Your argument makes no sense...the value of the vehicle and the cost for service have nothing to do with one another. My 1992 BMW probably has a book value of about 2000.00, but a timing belt change is 1000.00, does that mean I don't have it done and just wreck the engine when it breaks?

As far as running businesss, I have 3 myself, at this time. Again, this means nothing unless you run a Spyder dealership.

I find that my dealership is fair and easy to work with. I pay them money and don't question too much as my bike seems to always work fine...be it normal maintenance, 1st and 2nd updates, etc...they always work to help me out...for example, they didn't get the plate for the parking brake repair so they took it off a demo...very cool move.

When you buy an expensive toy, the costs for operating it might be expensive as well. If you wish to service your bike, more power to you. I don't have the time or the expertise to do so, so I'll gladly trust my dealership...if we all did our own work, dealerships would continue to fold and then when you really needed something, you'd be SOL.

Believe it or not, BRP has extensive training for their techs. Dealerships have to send their techs to many classes to maintain their platinum status. Find dealerships that qualify for this and trust them to work on your bike.

As far as shop prices go, 100.00/hr is high...I agree with this...prices will vary around the country but I tend to think 75.00/hr is fine...