PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tire Replacement

Star Cruiser
06-03-2010, 07:40 AM
I thought I saw an earlier thread on replacement rear tires. I did a search and couldn't seem to find it.
Anyway, I was wondering about availability of another tire to replace the BRP part. Has anyone used another brand? Is it satisfactory? What size is it? Same size as the Kenda?

I don't mind the longevity of the brp. I have over 35,000km on it (22,000miles). Has anyone used a car tire? Does the harder rubber give you enough traction? My front tires are still like new, but i am approaching the wear bars on the rear.

BajaRon
06-03-2010, 07:49 AM
I thought I saw an earlier thread on replacement rear tires. I did a search and couldn't seem to find it.
Anyway, I was wondering about availability of another tire to replace the BRP part. Has anyone used another brand? Is it satisfactory? What size is it? Same size as the Kenda?

I don't mind the longevity of the brp. I have over 35,000km on it (22,000miles). Has anyone used a car tire? Does the harder rubber give you enough traction? My front tires are still like new, but i am approaching the wear bars on the rear.

You got 22k out of the rear tire? That may be a world record!

There are several brands out there that make a tire that works on the Spyder. I'm running the Toyo T1R. I'd stick with the same size tire. Don't think you can easily stray from that restriction on the rear.

I get plenty of traction and I didn't notice any real difference in the ride. The Kenda is 4 ply sidewall and 2 ply tread. A car tire will be 4&4 giving you a better and flatter footprint.

Firefly
06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
:yikes: 22,000 miles on a rear tire is amazing. I barely get 8,000.

bodymanpainter
06-03-2010, 09:00 AM

That's great mileage! I got 12000 out of my 08 RS and that was pushing it. Replaced it with the BF Goodrich G Force. Still playing with the air pressure but seems fine so far.:spyder:

sabunim5
06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Here is one thread that may help.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18680&highlight=rear+tire
and this one too.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18005&highlight=rear+tire

Star Cruiser
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM

There are several brands out there that make a tire that works on the Spyder. I'm running the Toyo T1R. I'd stick with the same size tire. Don't think you can easily stray from that restriction on the rear.

I get plenty of traction and I didn't notice any real difference in the ride. The Kenda is 4 ply sidewall and 2 ply tread. A car tire will be 4&4 giving you a better and flatter footprint.

Thanks Baja - I am going to Americade this week. Not sure if any of the "major" Bike tire Manufacturers will have replacements. I will try to remember how to attach photos and show what is left of the Rear Tread. It is actually 23,276 miles (37,460km) on both front and rear OEM. I just finished an Iron Butt 1000 yesterday so added a few miles. With a flat footprint. I am more willing to try a car tire. Not sure that more "sticky" is needed as much as on a two wheeler.

Star Cruiser
06-06-2010, 08:34 PM

I figured how to get a link through Flickr. Maybe I'll get the forum method again sometime. I have attached photos before but quite a while ago. http://www.flickr.com/photos/10584850@N07/4677231836/

Pogo
06-07-2010, 09:57 PM
...Has anyone used another brand? Is it satisfactory? What size is it? Same size as the Kenda?

Crikey! I was very pleased to get 20000km out of mine. I usually get 12000 to 15000 on the back of my sidecar (Khumo 165/60-15).

I fitted a Toyo Proxes F4 220/50 R15 and once I got the pressure right (35psi for me), it was a good tyre. It has plenty of grip and is not noisy.

I'm just getting a couple of thousand km up now, and it seems to be wearing evenly. Even if it lasts 'only' 20000km, I'll be ahead because it cost about half the price of the standard Kenda fitted by my dealer.

Cheers;

Pogo

krb1945
06-08-2010, 05:51 AM
22,000 tells me you have a light throttle hand and unlike me and several others "you do not smoke" the rear.

As to the car tire on the spyder if you get a traction AA or A and Temperature A you will probably love it. It will ride a smoother ride. The traction will be better if you get one with a thread life measurement of less then 360. Lower numbers softer compound and shorter thread life. I personally like the 360 treadlife. Make sure you get a speed rated tire. Ken krb1945

SPYDER4FUN
06-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I have over 8,000 on my original tires ... I guess I will need to take a real close look at them & think about replacements

Kerrville Bob
06-09-2010, 12:45 PM
FWIW- I go to my local Discount Tire Store and use Toyos both front and rear. Discount Tires are in most states, offer great servive, good prices, free flat repair and the warantee is good.

Firefly
06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
FWIW- I go to my local Discount Tire Store and use Toyos both front and rear. Discount Tires are in most states, offer great servive, good prices, free flat repair and the warantee is good.

Our local ones won't touch the Spyder tires or rims.... but Belle tire would.

Star Cruiser
06-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Our local ones won't touch the Spyder tires or rims.... but Belle tire would.
Thanks for the tip. I am having a tough time finding a dealer that will put Car Tires on a bike (for liability issues). Maybe checking out a Belle Tire dealer will help the situation.

spydee owner
07-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I have a 2008 roadster with 35000 km on back tire and will most likely get
another 8000 k on it before changing. The first year I owned it I did probably 12 burnouts and then a couple each year after that. The thing is, I see people who own non premier edition roadsters and the rear tires are slightly different tread pattern. Did brp change the rubber compound?
I see bikes with these tires wearing out at 22000k. Whats up?