PDA

View Full Version : Limp Home............I was already at home

TicketBait
06-02-2010, 12:30 PM
10 days later a follow up report on thread #10

Went to ryde the RT Memorial Day like I do everyday, started her up and the engine light and orange

screen saying Limp mode was blaring at me. So I turned her off, and went to my computer to

see what threads had been posted in the past, specific to the RT and Limp mode.

I called my dealership and told them I have had 5300 trouble

free miles so far & they said bring it in Tuesday morning.

Then i started doing more research, and also tried turning the bike on a couple more times to see

if it was just an errant signal, but it still came on.

In the manual it said on pg 149 to have your RT transported in if the engine light is flashing in "LIMP_ HOME"

I learned from these threads how to check the code by pressing "mode" "Set" and the cancel button

for the turn signals simultaneous, and up popped P0524 in the upper left corner of the digital cluster.

More checking and this is an oil pressure sensor. The advise was to have 3 things checked

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18955&highlight=pressure+sensor+p0524+limp

I went to bed determined to get this resolved as my wife and I are taking our

first trip together and hotel arrangements can't be changed.

When I started the bike up the next morning, Engine light flashes and Limp home

in lower center of display cluster is orange. I already know I am gonna take it

easy on the bikes RPM's and have planned a surface street route of 14 miles to the dealership.

Well after 1 block of riding and the engine light disappears as well as the limp home

, I continue to the dealership and after explaining everything, they put it on their

computer diagnostic and guess what, NO CODES, nothing in the history, they say

they can't perform all the tests because BRP won't reimburse them. They

are very apologetic and do check the oil level as it is getting close to it's

6k mile change, and said they checked all wiring to the sensor, but without

the fault code their hands are tied. Somehow the code I discovered got wiped

off,. So my question is, did checking the code as described earlier do that??

If this happens again I will have it trailered in with engine running :gaah:

I rode it home and everything was fine. I will ryde it again today, if it does turn

out to just be a bad sensor switch, I lost the opportunity to get it fixed before this trip.

The dealership did not know of the Set/mode /turn signal check. Maybe we shouldn't

either. ok I am gonna go cry now:helpsmilie: If it never happens again then I thankyou

all for helping me fix it :pray:

ticketbait/steve

NancysToy
06-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Sorry to hear of yet another victim of this glitch. I am surprised your code did not stay in the memory, to be able to be read by BUDS. Only active codes are supposed to be available to be read on the display, but the codes are supposed to remain in the memory until the dealer clears them via BUDS. Sounds like BRP has yet another software issue to resolve.

The first issue, and resultant limp mode, is caused by a low oil pressure signal, as you have determined. It can happen due to low oil pressure, an oil change, a bad sensor, bad wiring, or a bad ECM. If the oil pressure light clears, and only the code and limp mode remain, running the engine at over 3,000 rpm for 15 seconds is supposed to clear it. It actually should reset itself without that step, but there is a programming problem. BRP is working on it.

If the oil pressure light remains on, as mine did, the Spyder should not be ridden, nor should the engine be run...at least not for more than brief troubleshooting! Without a wet oil pressure test, there is no way to know whether the alarm is true or false. Serious engine damage can result (in a big hurry) if you operate the engine with low oil pressure! If you don't have the tools to do the proper tests, transport the Spyder to your dealer...do not ride it or let it run.

Now the only question that remains is...why did the code occur in the first place? For your sake I hope it is just a momentary, one-time thing.

TicketBait
06-02-2010, 06:00 PM
thanks Scotty, I too was surprised their BUDS did not pick it up, I said next time i will take a picture, they said, no we believe you but have nothing to diagnose.

Well I have rydden it 4 more times for a total of 45-50 miles and no issues. :2thumbs:

Maybe I do know how to fix these...now let me see if I can remember what I did. hmm:joke:

dave711
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Went to ryde the RT Memorial Day like I do everyday, started her up and the engine light and orange

screen saying Limp mode was blaring at me. So I turned her off, and went to my computer to

see what threads had been posted in the past, specific to the RT and Limp mode.

I called my dealership and told them I have had 5300 trouble

free miles so far & they said bring it in Tuesday morning.

Then i started doing more research, and also tried turning the bike on a couple more times to see

if it was just an errant signal, but it still came on.

In the manual it said on pg 149 to have your RT transported in if the engine light is flashing in "LIMP_ HOME"

I learned from these threads how to check the code by pressing "mode" "Set" and the cancel button

for the turn signals simultaneous, and up popped P0524 in the upper left corner of the digital cluster.

More checking and this is an oil pressure sensor. The advise was to have 3 things checked

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18955&highlight=pressure+sensor+p0524+limp

I went to bed determined to get this resolved as my wife and I are taking our

first trip together and hotel arrangements can't be changed.

When I started the bike up the next morning, Engine light flashes and Limp home

in lower center of display cluster is orange. I already know I am gonna take it

easy on the bikes RPM's and have planned a surface street route of 14 miles to the dealership.

Well after 1 block of riding and the engine light disappears as well as the limp home

, I continue to the dealership and after explaining everything, they put it on their

computer diagnostic and guess what, NO CODES, nothing in the history, they say

they can't perform all the tests because BRP won't reimburse them. They

are very apologetic and do check the oil level as it is getting close to it's

6k mile change, and said they checked all wiring to the sensor, but without

the fault code their hands are tied. Somehow the code I discovered got wiped

off,. So my question is, did checking the code as described earlier do that??

If this happens again I will have it trailered in with engine running :gaah:

I rode it home and everything was fine. I will ryde it again today, if it does turn

out to just be a bad sensor switch, I lost the opportunity to get it fixed before this trip.

The dealership did not know of the Set/mode /turn signal check. Maybe we shouldn't

either. ok I am gonna go cry now:helpsmilie: If it never happens again then I thankyou

all for helping me fix it :pray:

ticketbait/steve

Mine does the same thing.. took it to the dealer and they couldn't anything either... p0524.... that is my code.. when I take off it goes away about the time I hit 3rd gear. only does it once in a while after sitting overnight. Will have the dealer check it more on the next checkup. calling in ahead of time so thay can have a sensor on hand...

MarkLawson
06-03-2010, 07:04 AM
Mine did the same thing. I had checked the oil level, finding it where it should be. The code warned of a malfunction in the sensor or circuit, if I recall correctly. I was ready to ride to the dealer when the limp home mode cleared. I think it was because the higher RPMs as I was pulling out of the driveway.

My dealer replaced the oil pressure sensor.

taggtr
06-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Dealerships need a mobile code reader and go to where the Spyder is and not have to try and drive it to the dealership or fire it up to get it on a trailer and lose the code and have it reset the puter. Happens with my car, and of course when I get it to the dealership the puter has reset. Usually happens when I turn the car off and back on again.

bcspyder
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Hard to believe BRP will not re-imburse them for diagnosing a warranty issue. Also would be concerned they were unaware of the fault code process. I think one of the issues facing Spyder owners is a still uninformed dealer network. I would try another dealer regardless of how nice this one was.

Dwight
06-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Same thing happened to me. Called the dealer, he said to trailer it in. They couldn't find anything wrong, cleaned most of the connectors and test rode it. Called me to come and get it, so far nothing else has happened.

Dwight

2manycars
06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
I know read the manual, and I am happy to report it has not happened to me yet. No doubt I have jinxed myself, however I was curious. The Spyder is going in for the SE transmission fix Monday-yeah!!

TicketBait
06-12-2010, 06:24 PM
follow up report that after an additional 700 miles no issues of any kind, must of just

been a fluke.:thumbup: I take it in Tuesday for the 6K mile check up.

SC_DOC
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I have about 3800 miles on my RT, and the same thing happened to me. Limp mode on startup. P0524 code. Oil level OK. Rode about 100 yds in limp mode then opened throttle. Felt sudden change in engine performance and limp mode cleared. Have gone on three rides since without problems.

I was lucky looking up the code on Google. Is there a list of fault codes somewhere? I have the CD service manual and couldn't find them listed there.

:helpsmilie:

dave711
09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I have 3800 mi. on the RT now and haven't seen the p0524 code pop up again since the 3000 mi. service. It was getting annoying:gaah: But didn't stop the miles from piling up. I left it at the dealer at the 3000 mi. service to see if they could get the code to pop up, but of course.. It didn't. But the dealer also ordered a new rear shock as I have a dead one.:2thumbs:

zeebill
09-09-2010, 07:57 AM
I have not had this problem so far on the RT SE-5 2010 edition but the 2008 RS SE-5 did it so much and went through 3 supposed bad oil pressure sensors I dang near just ignored it when it happend. I knew it was not a good thing to do but it ran fine even after a limp mode problem and trip to the dealers for a new sensor it just seemed to be a matter of time before it did it again. It dropped me in Klamath Falls, Oregon on a cross country trip coming home and near no dealers finally when it would not come out of limp no matter what I did. I had to U-Haul it home at a great expense after losing faith in dealers and the trike itself. Went to the home dealer and another oil pressure sensor was the supposed culprit.

By the way there were several episodes where there was no code in the computer and that was on an 2008 model so this isn't a new problem. Clear the code, check the oil level which was always there where it belonged and off I went. Not something to raise one's confidence level in the trike for sure. Bill ;)