PDA

View Full Version : Ready for the rain?

retired1
06-02-2010, 10:20 AM
My Frog Toggs and modular helmet do a good job of keeping me dry. However, the feet are another story! At present, I wear Red Wing boots that have been treated with water repellent cream. After a short time they do get waterlogged. Once the rain quits, they do dry out, but in the meantime it is very uncomfortable. I was looking for ideas and opinions on how to solve this problem. I have seen 1/2 boots from H-D, live rubber Tingley boots etc. Just wanted to see what worked for others.
THNX!

Smylinacha
06-02-2010, 10:25 AM
HDX wears the ones HD makes - the go over the toe of your mc boots and then secure up to the knee. He rides in downpours and his feet stay dry. I just found the link - very affordable too:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444876957 4&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302511639&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302511639&bmUID=1275492265199&bmLocale=en_US

My Frog Toggs and modular helmet do a good job of keeping me dry. However, the feet are another story! At present, I wear Red Wing boots that have been treated with water repellent cream. After a short time they do get waterlogged. Once the rain quits, they do dry out, but in the meantime it is very uncomfortable. I was looking for ideas and opinions on how to solve this problem. I have seen 1/2 boots from H-D, live rubber Tingley boots etc. Just wanted to see what worked for others.
THNX!

Questions
06-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I use the Accelerant boot from Icon and my feet have not gotten wet.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3126&id=11071

Dragonrider
06-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I've got a decent set of gators from Xcountry skiing days - I ride with tennis shoes without a problem. Having said that, I don't ride in the stuff you Easterners call heavy rain. Anything over an inch a DAY calls for indoor/undercover activities.

BRPjunkie
06-02-2010, 12:06 PM
HDX wears the ones HD makes - the go over the toe of your mc boots and then secure up to the knee. He rides in downpours and his feet stay dry. I just found the link - very affordable too:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444876957 4&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302511639&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302511639&bmUID=1275492265199&bmLocale=en_US

I think the HD boot covers are similar to the Tour Master (Competition Accessories, $23) and Choko (Shade Tree, $20). PVC coated nylon that slips over boots and velcros above the calf. Absolutly keeps your boots and feet dry in heavy rain. Packs small and easier to get on than rubber over boots.

NancysToy
06-02-2010, 12:17 PM
When the rain gets strong, I wear Tourmaster boot covers (rainboots). There are several available brands of these overboots. They are ugly as sin, flap in the wind, and will never win a fashion show, but they work real well.

murphybrown
06-02-2010, 12:27 PM
When the rain gets strong, I wear Tourmaster boot covers (rainboots). There are several available brands of these overboots. They are ugly as sin, flap in the wind, and will never win a fashion show, but they work real well.

Yep, ditto on this endorsement. But definitely worth the small investment. :2thumbs:

DynamoBT
06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Do a search for NEOS. New England OverShoes. I have a pair. I use them mostly in the snow to keep my dry. But I have heard of people using them on motorcycles. I will vouch for them keeping you dry. I have a pair that goes up to my knees. I love 'em.

jnt
06-02-2010, 03:12 PM
We discovered CruiserWorks nearly 10 years ago. Still have my original pair of men's classic (without the strap) with over 50K on 'em. They are waterPROOF, plus they have a wick-dry lining that really moved the sweat out. In hot weather (106F) they are quite warm, but not oppressively so. AND if you find water, you can go stand in it (as we did) to cool the feets. I liked them so that I bought another pair for 'dress' (read 'work') that were the side zip shorties. Did change the inserts to SuperFeet (available at REI and others). Oh - they are good for light hiking too!! AND not a bad winter boot!

www.cruiserworks.com

SpyderWolf
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM

I have been looking at those, but am wondering how they work in the heat? I am afraid they may get way too hot in the summertime, and my feet would be wet anyway from sweat. It is currently a toss up between the Accelerant or the Tarmac Ventilated, even though I know the Tarmac won't keep my feet dry in the rain.

retired1
06-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Thnx again for the opinions and suggestions. Ride dry!!:D

canam9
06-03-2010, 11:41 AM

:agree:

mclaw44
06-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Rocky Boots! as another hobby, I and my father-in-law are deer hunters in here in Ohio we turned to Rocky boots with gortex to keep our feet warm and dry. I have been angle deep in a marsh in sub zero weather with dry warm feet. I'm not sure if they make a riding boot but they are nice on the feet!

pierrelogic
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Rocky Boots! as another hobby, I and my father-in-law are deer hunters in here in Ohio we turned to Rocky boots with gortex to keep our feet warm and dry. I have been angle deep in a marsh in sub zero weather with dry warm feet. I'm not sure if they make a riding boot but they are nice on the feet!

:agree: Nelsonville (where the outlet store is located) is smack dab in the middle of some awesome country for ryding as well. :D

I bought a pair of "last year boots" off the closeout rack for less than $100...brand new they were $220. 100% waterpoof but still breathable. Can not go wrong with Rocky boots.

cdem0229
06-03-2010, 07:08 PM
My wife and I both use rubber over boots we bought at Farm & Fleet. The nice thing about them is they roll up real small for packing. Never been to hot in them but around here when it rains it usually cools down. I think they only cost $10 a pair. A tip I learned is to put a dash of baby powder in them before a trip. Helps them slip on and off easier.

Chuck

Bitten
06-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Me too! Great looking boots and they're very comfortable!

Lucky
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Ditto on CruiserWorks. Very comfy and never wet.

jeuchler
06-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Do a search for NEOS. New England OverShoes....

Marilyn's recommended overshoes are on sale here now (http://www.overshoesonline.com/ann1/NEOS-Adventurer-Overshoe.htm)...

http://www.overshoesonline.com/photos/ANN1-2U.jpg

bruceofthebronx
06-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Rider magazine did a review of about 10 boots, ranging from $115-300.00 The Tourmaster WP Solutions was very well rated, keeps my paws dry and toasty when cold, all for $115.

Lowflyingowl
06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I've used Merrill Moab gore-tex hiking boots for a few years now -- mesh and cool for the heat, but waterproof for the rain. Worked well in snow also as long as it snot too cold. They are the most comfortable hiking boots I've ever worn. When I get to my destinations ( usually some national park) I can go right on hiking..