PDA

View Full Version : RTS hard to start

vmc
06-02-2010, 05:19 AM
Does anyone have a problem re-starting your RTS after a 10 - 15 minute stop? It always starts right up first time for the day, but if we stop to rest or get gas, it often doesn't start with the first push of the button. It wants me to give it a little gas.

BumbleBee
06-02-2010, 05:46 AM
It happens to me every now and then, just happened yesterday again. :(

Mine is going in for Service on Sat. I am going to bring it to my Tech's attention :2thumbs:

Lamonster
06-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Yep, not all the time but once in awhile. :dontknow:

MouthPiece
06-02-2010, 07:19 AM
What I have to say is purely based on my experience. There may be no actual reason for it. I have rarely, if ever, experienced the "slow start" when I've had it in neutral. However, I have from time to time experienced the slow start if I have it in gear and the clutch in.

Again, this is just a personal observation.

Chris PE# 0004

taggtr
06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Two times to get it to start yesterday after grocery store run. But ran like a charm!

bodymanpainter
06-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Mine does it all the time but I have got use to it, I have changed type of gas and different grades of gas and still the same thing. But I am haveing bigger problems than that with mine but do not want to write about it as of yet (waiting for my dealer to find the problem)!:chat:

dadof4
06-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I see I'm not alone. Its always starts but sometimes it doesn't sound like wants to. Never an issue when it is cold. Only after it has been running a while and parked for a few minutes. It actually sounds like the battery is dying.

stillriding
06-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Does anyone have a problem re-starting your RTS after a 10 - 15 minute stop? It always starts right up first time for the day, but if we stop to rest or get gas, it often doesn't start with the first push of the button. It wants me to give it a little gas.

Funny you should mention that. I just had my RT-S in yesterday for its 3,000 and told the mechanic about it. He called BRP. They're aware of the issue and advised us to give it a little throttle for now. I had been doing that and it would start.

NancysToy
06-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I was the first to report this warm restart problem to BRP. They do not have a solution as yet. It is an artifact of the position they stop the engine at, in conjunction with the throttle setting that must be used to accomodate restarting with the fly-by-wire throttle. As long as you don't foul a plug, it should be nothing more than an occasional nuisance. Be patient, BRP is trying to come up with an answer.

Chezeburger
06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I was the first to report this warm restart problem to BRP. They do not have a solution as yet. It is an artifact of the position they stop the engine at, in conjunction with the throttle setting that must be used to accomodate restarting with the fly-by-wire throttle. As long as you don't foul a plug, it should be nothing more than an occasional nuisance. Be patient, BRP is trying to come up with an answer.
:agree:
My dealer asked me if I was havin that issue and said that if I do encounter it to crack the throttle just slightly when starting. He stated that BRP was doing a reprogram for this as everytime you shut the bike off and then go to restart it it does a cold start. Hence the issue or so he said.

MarkLawson
06-03-2010, 07:07 AM
mine does it too... :dontknow:

Magic Man
06-03-2010, 07:30 AM
Many times it takes more than one time to start ours too.

MM

spyder1
06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Yep...me too.
Many times it takes more than one time to start ours too.

MM

garganos
06-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Cracking the throttle will ease the hot restart issue. BRP is working on a remap, but it has not come as of yet. It appears to be that the ECU is dumping to much fuel during hot restart. Opening the throttle slightly will open the throttle valve allow more air to flow through the intake. It is a pain but be patient they should have a reflash soon.

2manycars
06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Mine does the same thing sometimes, but now I know to twist the handgrip on the right side to avoid the problem.

Kidding, I am not that inept, however this is a very complex machine with the computers fly by wire throttle, RF controls and so forth. I wanted to have a "flash-to-pass" garage door opener gadget that times in with the high beam switch (you click the high-beam passing switch twice to open the door). The mechanic advised against it because if I understood him correctly, some of the left hand pod controls use RF to operate various functions. Of course my dealer is against adding any third party items to the Spyder.