PDA

View Full Version : Spyder1026 & others- brake pads

wyliec
06-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I checked the service manual and it says to remove and discard caliper screws, and circlips securing rear brake pad pins. Did you use the old ones or did you replace with new? If you replaced, do you need to purchase from your Spyder dealer or are they available locally.

Right now I'm trying to quiet the brake pad noise that many others have had. Over the past 2 days I've applied the brakes at 50 mph a few times in sucession and the noise seems to have become less. I guess the next step is to use the spray on the backs of the pads; but, I think if I'm going to go through that trouble I may as well replace the pads.

boborgera
06-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I checked the service manual and it says to remove and discard caliper screws, and circlips securing rear brake pad pins. Did you use the old ones or did you replace with new? If you replaced, do you need to purchase from your Spyder dealer or are they available locally.

Right now I'm trying to quiet the brake pad noise that many others have had. Over the past 2 days I've applied the brakes at 50 mph a few times in sucession and the noise seems to have become less. I guess the next step is to use the spray on the backs of the pads; but, I think if I'm going to go through that trouble I may as well replace the pads.

:thumbup:
CRC De Squeak, the pads do not have to be removed.

wyliec
06-01-2010, 06:04 PM
:thumbup:
CRC De Squeak, the pads do not have to be removed.

Doesn't that go on the backs of the pads?

boborgera
06-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Doesn't that go on the backs of the pads?

No,
They have two types, one is a sticky spray that go's on the back of the pads.
The other spray, THE ONE I USE, is a metallic type spray that you spray on the rotors no need to remove the pad's,
then when you apply the brakes it burnishes into the rotors. :thumbup:

Big Arm
06-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I just got done removing my pads less than 2hrs ago, after having my breaks squeal like a stuck pig, these last two weeks. I used the "CRC Disc Break Quiet". This comes in a tube and is in a cream form, and is spread on the backs of the metal back plate of the pad, with a set up time of approx 10 mins. Cost approx 4.00+ tax. Purchased at a local auto parts store.
I just returned from a test ride and .........no squeal :yes: :2excited: This took approx 3/4hr to do, after clean-up, but was well worth the time. I never checked the service manual, so I know nothing about discarding the caliper screws and retaining circlips. :dontknow:
But if you do, I'm sure you'd have to order thru the dealer, to get new ones. I'm sure nothing purchased locally, would fit. I'll attach pic of the compound I used. good luck...:thumbup:

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc325/larryspic/bike/break.jpg

WaltH
06-01-2010, 07:48 PM

New caliper screws (bolts with loctite) and circlips come with the new rear bake pads when you get them from BRP. I got the OEM parts from my usual discount source that I use for all parts.

wyliec
06-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I just got done removing my pads less than 2hrs ago, after having my breaks squeal like a stuck pig, these last two weeks. I used the "CRC Disc Break Quiet". This comes in a tube and is in a cream form, and is spread on the backs of the metal back plate of the pad, with a set up time of approx 10 mins. Cost approx 4.00+ tax. Purchased at a local auto parts store.
I just returned from a test ride and .........no squeal :yes: :2excited: This took approx 3/4hr to do, after clean-up, but was well worth the time. I never checked the service manual, so I know nothing about discarding the caliper screws and retaining circlips. :dontknow:
But if you do, I'm sure you'd have to order thru the dealer, to get new ones. I'm sure nothing purchased locally, would fit. I'll attach pic of the compound I used. good luck...:thumbup:

So, you re-used the existing caliper screws and circlips?

NancysToy
06-01-2010, 08:57 PM
If you are just going to remove the pads and apply Disc Brake Quiet, you can leave the calipers in place and merely remove the brake pad pins, and not the entire caliper. At least I am sure this works in the rear, because that's where I did it. The pins can be reused, with fresh Loctite. Be sure and clean and inspect the bushings and O-rings, and use disc brake lube on the sliding parts and O-rings.

New (thicker) pads normally require caliper removal. If you remove the entire caliper, BRP feels you should replace the caliper bolts and circlips. That is why they include them in the kit. You might get by with Loctite, but the threadlocker on the bolts is actually an encapsulated epoxy material that is much stronger. Best to play it safe.

SethO
06-01-2010, 09:57 PM

my mechanic used this on the back caliper with the new EBC pads, he also cleaned up the disk and mine do not squeak anymore