PDA

View Full Version : NEW RT WINDSHIELDS

Magic Man
05-31-2010, 11:30 AM
We just got the final Street Magic beta test windshields in on Friday for the RT's.

These shields will come in 3 different sizes as follows

GTS = Grand Touring Shield which is 5 inches wider, and 3 inches taller than stock.

SSS = Standard Short Sport this shield is standard width, and 3 inches shorter than stock.

SWS = Sport Wide Shield This shield is 5 inches wider, and 3 inches shorter than stock.

Patti and I did some back to back test rides today and here is what we found.....

The GTS shield is absolutely amazing in how quite it is behind it!

Patti says she easily could talk to a person on her cell phone behind me without there being any noise to interfere with it at all.

Between the increased coverage (almost 200 extra sq inches), wind reduction and better "bounce back" from the larger shield itself. Patti and I could talk in a normal voice to each other and easily hear every word said, even at 70 mph.

I think this shield will be a favorite for the long distance rider who wants the least wind, most protection and is putting in long days in the saddle.

The SSS is very similar to the SWS shield except it's does not have the extra width. This will be a great choice for the shorter RT owner.

The SWS shield was my personal favorite. :ohyea:

Being an "Old School" rider, I was always taught that you should always be able "look over" your shield. Inasmuch I found I could not look over the stock RT's windshield even when it was all the way down. :gaah:

This shield being 3 inches shorter allows me to finally be able to comfortably "look over" the shield when I want to, yet still have it come up enough to be able to look through it when I want to.

We were also very surprised to find that even though 3 inches shorter than stock with the extra width changing the wind pattern, this shield works as well on the highway as the stock one does even for Patti behind me at 70 mph.

I also really like the "sporty" look it gives the RTS when it is lowered down too.

I think the SWS will be very popular with shorter riders, or people like me who want to be able to easily "look over" their shield.

These shields will be going into full production this week, and will be available for Pre-Orders starting Tuesday.

All three shields will come with the Legendary F4 Scratch Resistant Coating to add extra toughness to their good looks.

The MSRP for these shields will be as follows...

GTS $359.00

SWS $339.00

SSS $339.00

Here are a few shots of Patti first behind the SWS, then the GTS.:thumbup:

MM

IWN2RYD
05-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Noice!!!! :ohyea::thumbup:

Lamonster
05-31-2010, 11:43 AM
SWS = Sport Wide Shield This shield is 5 inches wider, and 3 inches shorter than stock.:2thumbs:

dave01
05-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Woohoo, I remember talking about this in dayton a. Ready for the short version. Tinted an option. Sign me up......I will be back at sea on tuesday. More killer ESI stuff!!!!!!!!!!

canam9
05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Very nice!:2thumbs:

Magic Man
06-01-2010, 06:16 AM
Very nice!:2thumbs:

Thanks! :2thumbs:

I got to tell you they work even better than they look! :thumbup:

MM

jmcbow
06-01-2010, 09:49 AM
As someone who likes to keep his Spyder as clean as the day I bought it, I wipe it down every night before I cover it up. That meant having to take special precautions when cleaning the windsheild. I've been hoping that someone would come out with a replacement windshield with the scratch resistant coating. Sweet! :2thumbs: You guys rock.

Chezeburger
06-01-2010, 12:07 PM
As someone who likes to keep his Spyder as clean as the day I bought it, I wipe it down every night before I cover it up. That meant having to take special precautions when cleaning the windsheild. I've been hoping that someone would come out with a replacement windshield with the scratch resistant coating. Sweet! :2thumbs: You guys rock.

:agree::bowdown:

canam9
06-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Are the windshields polarized?:chat:

2Gunns
06-01-2010, 01:46 PM
How about one with a AIR VENT ? :pray:

Sopher
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Any results in terms of Wind noise? Obviously the smaller one will have less noise but the trade off is more wind.
Can you offer advise on which to choose? How about shinny color charts too? too many choices!

Magic Man
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Any results in terms of Wind noise? Obviously the smaller one will have less noise but the trade off is more wind.
Can you offer advise on which to choose? How about shinny color charts too? too many choices!

No actually the tall one is so quite that you could really use your cell phone behind it.

Patti tried it today behind me and the person she was talking to did not believe her that she was on a bike going down the road at 60 mph.

The short ones are about on par with the stock shields as the extra width model seems to actually be less noisey than stock as the extra width changes the air flow pattern for the better.

MM

Sopher
06-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe its my RTS, but it seems the engine and gears are very loud when i go over say 50mph+ or so. Same for you?

CSX4350
06-02-2010, 01:42 AM
MM, I hope you understand that I hate you.....

I have a $650 order ready to call in tomorrow and now you cause me to spend another $390???

Stop coming up with cool stuff already!!!

:roflblack:

Between you & Corbin I'm not going to be able to afford anything to eat but Top Ramen this month.

Lamonster
06-02-2010, 06:34 AM

I have a $650 order ready to call in tomorrow and now you cause me to spend another $390???

Between you & Corbin I'm not going to be able to afford anything to eat but Top Ramen this month.
Looking at your sig I'm sure you'll be just fine. :D

Sopher
06-02-2010, 09:06 AM

Sell a car and get more ESI products!

jmcbow
06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Is it possible to get the GTS in the same height as a stock windsheild? The stock windsheild is really the perfect height for me, but would love to have the added width and the scratch resistant coating? :pray:

Magic Man
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Is it possible to get the GTS in the same height as a stock windsheild? The stock windsheild is really the perfect height for me, but would love to have the added width and the scratch resistant coating? :pray:

Maybe in the future but not right now.

That is unless you would like to place an order for 200 of these so a run of units this size run could be made? :joke: :roflblack:

WizardMaster
06-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Hmmmmm, I got room in the barn for one of those Shelby's or the Camaro:roflblack:. Of course I already have a high maintenance Shelby at home now, so not sure I want another one of those:cus::yikes::roflblack:.

Jornie1
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
I think it would be very helpful to know just how tall Pattie is... With all the descriptive information, it's difficult to apply the info to others. For example. My wife, Kim, has her own RT..Her windshield is too tall in the lowered position for her to look over it. She is 5'9" and wants to be able, at times, to see over her wind screen. I'm very interested in one of your windshields .. after knowing a little more stuff. We need some correlation as to how these windshields will fit others based on their height... Thanks, Len

Magic Man
06-04-2010, 07:11 AM
I think it would be very helpful to know just how tall Pattie is... With all the descriptive information, it's difficult to apply the info to others. For example. My wife, Kim, has her own RT..Her windshield is too tall in the lowered position for her to look over it. She is 5'9" and wants to be able, at times, to see over her wind screen. I'm very interested in one of your windshields .. after knowing a little more stuff. We need some correlation as to how these windshields will fit others based on their height... Thanks, Len

A persons height, although somewhat helpful tells nothing about the shield. Reason being a person 5'7" who is all legs will sit on a machine different than a person who is 5'7" yet has a short inseam and legs.

Even the thickness of a person's bottom can effect how they will sit on a bike. :shocked::opps:

The shields measure a full 3 inches shorter than stock in the dead center top top bottom. The stock one is 27 inches.

Our short version is 24 inches long top to bottom in the dead center of the shield and the GTS version is 30 inches.

Have your wife sit on the bike measure down 3 inches on the stock shield, than use a thin strip a masking tape to make a line accross the top at 3 inches. This will give you an idea of where the top of the sport shield will be.

Patti' is about 5'5", but how her leg to waist ratio is to your wife's I can not say?

MM

Jornie1
06-04-2010, 11:57 PM
An excellent point I must say. I figured that question would arise. However, knowing Patti is 5'5" gives me an excellent place to begin a comparison. What Kim is wanting is the ability to look over or look through.. Thanks Magic.. Len

A persons height, although somewhat helpful tells nothing about the shield. Reason being a person 5'7" who is all legs will sit on a machine different than a person who is 5'7" yet has a short inseam and legs.

Even the thickness of a person's bottom can effect how they will sit on a bike. :shocked::opps:

The shields measure a full 3 inches shorter than stock in the dead center top top bottom. The stock one is 27 inches.

Our short version is 24 inches long top to bottom in the dead center of the shield and the GTS version is 30 inches.

Have your wife sit on the bike measure down 3 inches on the stock shield, than use a thin strip a masking tape to make a line accross the top at 3 inches. This will give you an idea of where the top of the sport shield will be.

Patti' is about 5'5", but how her leg to waist ratio is to your wife's I can not say?

MM