PDA

View Full Version : informal poll results: 50% Harley riders like the Spyder, the other 50%...

Sopher
05-30-2010, 09:10 PM
I found while riding about 50% harley riders actually like the Spyder. Some actually gave me a thumbs up.

But then the other 50% were just plain rude and would not acknowledge anything/anyone if it didnt have a HD brand label.

(No offense HDX or bones).

Neez
05-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I found while riding about 50% harley riders actually like the Spyder. Some actually gave me a thumbs up.

But then the other 50% were just plain rude and would not acknowledge anything/anyone if it didnt have a HD brand label.

(No offense HDX or bones).What Harley riders think about my ryde isn't something that keeps me up nights. I mean, why would you care? It's not like we require their approval, you know. We ride what we want to, same as they do.

boborgera
05-30-2010, 10:43 PM
What Harley riders think about my ryde isn't something that keeps me up nights. I mean, why would you care? It's not like we require their approval, you know. We ride what we want to, same as they do.

:agree:Who cares what other people think, just smile and ride on.

Firefly
05-30-2010, 11:43 PM
My informal poll of Spyder owners shows that 100% of us could care less what HD people think.:D

Those that don't appear to like the Spyder are just jealous cause nobody's paying attention to their bike anymore when a Spyder is near....:roflblack:

Dubaian
05-30-2010, 11:50 PM
nobody's paying attention to their bike anymore when a Spyder is near....:roflblack:

:roflblack:

PCBeachBum
05-31-2010, 01:10 AM
What Harley riders think about my ryde isn't something that keeps me up nights. I mean, why would you care? It's not like we require their approval, you know. We ride what we want to, same as they do.

My ryding buddy Sam gets ignored everywhere we go. His custom chopper, doesn't get the attention that my Spyder does, even from his two boys and he hates it.:roflblack:

I've been getting a lot more attention from all riders and mostly from the crotch rocket riders. But, I'm not losing any sleep from those that ignore me on the road. One day if they continue to ride, they too will be looking into a 3rd wheel.:thumbup:

mc2276
05-31-2010, 01:24 AM
I get invited to more rides with my Harley friends then I do my sport bike friends. :thumbup: I personally feel they are a better group to be with any way.

Mo Lee
05-31-2010, 04:30 AM
Along the same line every year over this Memorial Day weekend one of the largest bike rallys in the state of Missouri takes place. I've noticed normally about 95% of bikes will return my wave either on the Spyder or the Valkries however during this rally I'm lucky to get a 50% return on my waves.

vtrider
05-31-2010, 05:47 AM
I agree, that what other riders think or ride doesn't make any difference to me. I've had HD riders give me a wave and some have talked to me about my spyder at stops. I've also had one experience at a stop light where a group of HD riders were downright rude and making fun of my ride. I just considered them to just be a bunch of immature bikers who had nothing better to do. I just ignored them and moved on when the light turned green. I don't judge people because of the machine they choose to ride. When I was on two wheels, I was a Honda guy myself. Past bikes were a 1999 Honda Magna, 2005 Honda VFR Interceptor and a 2006 Honda ST1300 and now the Spyder. If Honda made a three wheeler comparable to the spyder, I would probably own one.

Dragonrider
05-31-2010, 10:00 AM
I've owned two V-rods - the only Harley that I would ever spring for - and have been treated far worse on them than I have ever been on either my Valk or Spyder. There are only two opinions that matter - yours and your SO - especially the latter… :shemademe_smilie:

bikeguy
05-31-2010, 10:15 AM
My wife and I rode 820 miles this weekend with a small group of 5 bikes. There was one BMW, one Yamaha, one Honda, one Harley, and one Can-Am Spyder. I guess we were an integrated bunch. I used to say that it didn't matter what you rode as long as you were on two wheels. Now I say that it doesn't matter what you ride as long as you are in the wind.

Riders who are too stuck up to wave have their own problems and I'll just let them deal with that. I'm having too much fun to worry about them.

Cotton

Campverdefela
05-31-2010, 10:17 AM
Not that I care that much but my observation after now making a couple of big runs the last being the Jester which had about 300 bikes was that were wearing them down once they see its not just a novility machine. I mean to say a lot of them are respecting the performance the more I ride with them.

Bersquack
05-31-2010, 11:19 AM
For I ryde both a spyder and a harley I can tel you this: I get waved at on the HD, but not so much on the spyder. I do get a lot more attention on the spyder than the HD that's for sure.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with both rydes I would have no shame in showing up at a biker gathering with either.

If they only knew I drive a toyota!!!

murphybrown
05-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Right on..:2thumbs:. Gee wonder if that is why there are different types of rides....different types of folks...I am soooo thankful that I choose to enjoy MY life as I live it and give you the 100% freedom to do the same...:yes:

Red Recluse
05-31-2010, 04:48 PM
My husband is a Harley owner. He thinks my :spyder2: is cool. We rode to a Harley Dealership near where we live and I rode my :spyder2: of course. Got lots of attention. Some just looked at it like it was an alien :yikes:others asked me about it and one guy yelled out as we were leaving the parking lot "You Go Girl". :2thumbs:Like one of the other replys said I think some of the Harley riders are just jealous that they aren't getting the attention.:doorag:

Yazz
05-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Think gender does have something to do with the wave. I get waves from 95% of other riders. Doesn't matter what they are riding.

Went to a Harley swap meet on Spydee. The four hours we were there, at any given time, at least three people were scoping her out. Many, many questions. Some so technical I didn't have the answer. Got invited to join two different clubs that day also.

Sopher
05-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't loose any sleep over HD riders... Its other things in life that I loose sleep over.:yikes:

When the Hardley Riders don't wave back, it shows pretty poorly about the bunch as most Hardley riders would consider themselves "friendly". Ya, right. You just go riding that Hardley back to the shop to get it repaired more often then probably any other bike. Or so I've heard.

Firefly
05-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't loose any sleep over HD riders... Its other things in life that I loose sleep over.:yikes:

When the Hardley Riders don't wave back, it shows pretty poorly about the bunch as most Hardley riders would consider themselves "friendly". Ya, right. You just go riding that Hardley back to the shop to get it repaired more often then probably any other bike. Or so I've heard.

Maybe they're afraid if they take a hand off the grip it will vibrate apart----:roflblack:.

On my recent 1,400 mile trip through the UP, WI and MN I found near Lake Michigan most would wave no matter what they were riding -- lot's of Henry Donaldson's in WI. Anyhow--- along the Mississippi I didn't get any waves returned--- either they just don't do it there or they're HD snobs. Strange.

Eddie
05-31-2010, 07:22 PM
My informal poll of Spyder owners shows that 100% of us could care less what HD people think.:D

Those that don't appear to like the Spyder are just jealous cause nobody's paying attention to their bike anymore when a Spyder is near....:roflblack:

:2thumbs:

Smylinacha
05-31-2010, 07:29 PM
I ride with people who ride different rides. On a normal ride, I am with Harleys, Triumphs, Hondas, BMWs. Everyone accepts me on my Spyder and I accept everyone else. Maybe in some parts people can be snobby and partial to who rides what - I don't see that where I live. Everyone seems to get along - it's all about riding your ride and being in the wind.

As for jokes about Harley riders, Hondas and such, You joke like that, you're just as snotty as the ones who don't wanna talk to you.:dontknow:

Spydeb
05-31-2010, 08:02 PM
It is my experience that Harley Owners are awesome folk. My local HD dealership in Fort Worth TX today told me that I am still more than at the Pancake Breakfast on Saturdays.... Spyder and ALL!!! Could be just Texas folks, but I've met great HD owners from all over!:2thumbs:

SPYDEB

dltang
05-31-2010, 08:48 PM
I have found it doesn't seem to matter what people ride, some will wave, some will not. Some may have a reason they didn't wave and it has nothing to do with being snotty or not nice. I know one thing, for any spyder rider to pigeon hole any other type of rider, Harley, Honda, BMW, Ninja or whatever, puts you in the same category you are accusing them of being in. We don't need labels, we just need to enjoy our rides.

widowmaker2011
05-31-2010, 09:38 PM
I have found it doesn't seem to matter what people ride, some will wave, some will not. Some may have a reason they didn't wave and it has nothing to do with being snotty or not nice. I know one thing, for any spyder rider to pigeon hole any other type of rider, Harley, Honda, BMW, Ninja or whatever, puts you in the same category you are accusing them of being in. We don't need labels, we just need to enjoy our rides.

Agreed- I will say the amounts of waves we get on the RT'S are way more than we ever got on the RS spyders.

aka1004
06-01-2010, 12:49 AM
two middle fingers i got on spyder were from crotch rocket riders but i don't understand. i come from crotch rocket side of motorcycle and really don't understand. i am guessing it's just kids.

harley riders... most will show their disapproval by not looking at my spyder but i catch plenty of them on my rear view mirror looking.:D

do i care?
a little. i would be lying if i said no.
will i trade spyder for anything else?
:cus: no.

bone crusher
06-01-2010, 01:11 AM
I ride with HD guys and at Rolling Thunder I rode in with HUNDREDS of HD riders..from a club...not ONE of them was rude in any way...in fact, the trike guys were very curious about the RT even though I was on a GS/RS.

I have NEVER found any HD to be rude to me...maybe it's just you and has nothing to do with the Spyder? :dontknow:

aka1004
06-01-2010, 01:28 AM
even the murderers have friends:D
when harley riders are your friends, of course they are not gonna make fun or whatever but it's different when you are on the road. most harley riders i run into ignores me which is fine by me. i am so glad i bought a spyder instead of another 2-wheeler.

Firefly
06-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Spyder Ryders also seem to have a better sense of humor----;)

Most the guys I ride with are HD guys---- but they don't have 'that' attitude that many seem to carry around with them if you know what I mean. Hard to explain-- but you know it when you see it.

BigRock
06-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I rode in a group of 8 bikes with coworkers up to Maine and back a couple weeks ago. There were a few Harleys in the group, but when people were pointing, they were always pointing at my Spyder! :)

mxz600
06-01-2010, 10:20 AM
To all the Harley bashers, I ride a Harley and don't appreciate being stereotyped.
I find Harley riders to be OK when I'm on the Spyder. They ask some of the more intelligent questions about the Spyder.
As far as the number of waves I get, I find it about equal on the Spyder or Harley no matter what type of bike they're riding. I just think some people wave and some don't. Some people are nice and some are rude. I wouldn't worry to much about if somebody gives you the wave or not. It's not what they ride, it's what they have inside. Some people are just angry all the time.
That being said, one time when on the Spyder a group of guys with mohawk helmets on crotch rockets were pointing in my direction and laughing. I just started looking around as if trying to figure out what they were laughing at. I looked back at them and shrugged my shoulders like, what's so funny. I do know they weren't laughing at me because of what they wore or what they rode. It was because of who they were.

Lamonster
06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
When I was at that BBQ in PA there was a Harley guy I didn't know that was giving me a little crap about riding a snowmobile. I was temped to let him have it but it wasn't worth the effort. I ride what I want to ride and don't plan on making any changes because of what others think or if they wave to me or not. I've owned pretty much every bike I've ever wanted to own and have had more horsepower between my legs than most and yet I still find the Spyder to be one of the best riding experiences I've ever had. If others don't get it that's fine by me. nojoke

wyliec
06-01-2010, 10:58 AM
To all the Harley bashers, I ride a Harley and don't appreciate being stereotyped.
I find Harley riders to be OK when I'm on the Spyder. They ask some of the more intelligent questions about the Spyder.
As far as the number of waves I get, I find it about equal on the Spyder or Harley no matter what type of bike they're riding. I just think some people wave and some don't. Some people are nice and some are rude. I wouldn't worry to much about if somebody gives you the wave or not. It's not what they ride, it's what they have inside. Some people are just angry all the time.
That being said, one time when on the Spyder a group of guys with mohawk helmets on crotch rockets were pointing in my direction and laughing. I just started looking around as if trying to figure out what they were laughing at. I looked back at them and shrugged my shoulders like, what's so funny. I do know they weren't laughing at me because of what they wore or what they rode. It was because of who they were.

I was on a 9 mile twisty route yesterday. Coming in the opposite direction at different points were 3 HD riders and all waved. I felt bad because I couldn't let go of the bars; I had my hands full just trying to stay on the road riding 2 up.

Campverdefela
06-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Think gender does have something to do with the wave. I get waves from 95% of other riders. Doesn't matter what they are riding.

Went to a Harley swap meet on Spydee. The four hours we were there, at any given time, at least three people were scoping her out. Many, many questions. Some so technical I didn't have the answer. Got invited to join two different clubs that day also.
We have more riders here in my area I think than anywhere[Sedona, Jerome,Verde Valley, Arizona] and over half are Harley's that I see. Anyways I get about 99% waves but I'm a guy and not too young....too sexy???

kytten
06-01-2010, 11:59 AM
I get waves sometimes, none others. I get looks sometimes, none others. It doesn't seem to matter whether the other person is on a 2 wheeler, 3 wheeler, Harley or crotch rocket.

The worst attitude I've seen -has- been from a couple of Harley riders at a Spyder event at my dealer last fall. My dealer isn't a Harley dealer but they pulled up on their Harleys and took the Spyders for a test ride and came back and had nothing but negatives to say about it right there in front of the BRP people too. I was taken aback and kind of insulted. The BRP people took it in stride. I was tempted to mouth back at them but just decided to shut up and let them think what they wanted. I realize that everyone's entitled to their opinion and am big on not wasting my breath in situations where I'm obviously not going to make an impression.

Either way, I like my Spyder and plan to ride it regardless of who might look down on it from Harley riders to my boyfriend's mother to anyone in between. :)

Desert Spyder
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Not sure whether to post this message here or the thread UNFRIENDLY RYDER.

Before bringing the bike to the dealer for BASIC 12000 mi checkup and stopped at my local filling station and got flipped off by a guy on a Enduro passing me up.

I've got to find a new filling station.

Firefly
06-01-2010, 01:04 PM
The other thing that comes to mind when someone makes fun of a person on a Spyder is they have no way of knowing if the Spyder Ryder is disabled and has limited choices on what they can ride.

I had one guy (cager at a gas station) freaking out that I only got 30 mpg. I nicely told him that this is a performance machine, not a scooter.....:D.

There was a story out here some time ago about someone at a bike fest being given a hard time about his 'girlie Spyder'..... He kindly pulled $300 out of his wallet and offered to drag against the guy on whatever he rode in. The guy didn't take the deal - so obviously didn't have a V-rod--- which is probably the only HD that would take the Spyder in the 1/4 or maybe even 1/2.:dontknow:. Most of the HD's I ride with are in the 85 hp range. Saw one at a bike show last week with a turbo on it-----:thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
My experience on rides has been that usually more than 50% of HD riders give us the wave. I have had HD riders come up to us at gas stations and look the Spyders over and do general chit chat. I have never had a HD rider diss us about our rides. Last Thursday, on our club ride, when we stopped for our meal, a grisley looking biker came out of the restaurant--he had a 45 strapped on, (a common sight in Alaska), he came up to us and asked permission to take a photo of our Spyders. The wave frequency of other bikes seems to be a little more--I would say 75%. A couple of weeks ago we stopped at one of the Alaska road houses for a burger etc. There were about 8 Harleys parked out front. We went in and went to the restaurant section. The bikers were in the bar section. When they left we could not help but notice their Hells Angels colors on the back of their vests. Most of them stopped and looked our Spyders over closely--and then went on their merry way. I am happy to say that at this point, we have not run into any nasty bikers of any type.

moabgirl
06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I think there is a certain amount of "cache" that belongs with a HD. I rode one for years and loved it all. However, I made a well-considered decision to no longer ryde on 2 wheels. This is for my safety as well as others. Another motorcyclist does not need to consider my decision but, believe me, they are safer on the road because I'm on a Spyder and not another 2-wheel bike. I remember when trikes were considered.......amusing.

Frankly, as a woman of a certain age I could give a rat's arse what any other rider thinks of me. Some people are friendly, some are not. Some are curious about my Spyder, some are dismissive. I always try to acknowledge other riders simply because I respect the decision for us to be out there and take the risks and live the adventures.

I love my Spyder and I think it rocks!

VaughnCat
06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Perhaps those who won't wave back are afraid to take their hands off the handlebars . . . . not everyone out there is really in control of their chosen ride . . . especially if it has 'ape hangers' on it . . . . maybe they are not having as much fun as the rest of us. . . . . . . Cat and I are happy to wave and share our joy! :joke:

1VENOM
06-01-2010, 03:55 PM

That's because your Hot, Yazz!:D:D :yikes: They wouldn't give me the time of day.

COOLMACHINE
06-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Not sure whether to post this message here or the thread UNFRIENDLY RYDER.

Before bringing the bike to the dealer for BASIC 12000 mi checkup and stopped at my local filling station and got flipped off by a guy on a Enduro passing me up.

I've got to find a new filling station.
they were probably flipping you off because of that spyderman outfit you are wearing in your avatar. :D

Yazz
06-01-2010, 04:29 PM
We have more riders here in my area I think than anywhere[Sedona, Jerome,Verde Valley, Arizona] and over half are Harley's that I see. Anyways I get about 99% waves but I'm a guy and not too young....too sexy???
:2thumbs:

tatt2r
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
i nod they usually nod back .... guess it thows them off but i think i get more attitude from racing bikes then harleys .... maybe its the tattoos that offend them :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Desert Spyder
06-01-2010, 04:40 PM
they were probably flipping you off because of that spyderman outfit you are wearing in your avatar. :D

I would probably flip myself off if I wore that outfit.

Yazz
06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
That's because your Hot, Yazz!:D:D :yikes: They wouldn't give me the time of day.

Oh man, were you at THAT party???:joke:

IMHO, any lady ryding her own is hot material!nojoke

Don't sell yourself short. Bet you get ogled more than you think.:D:D

Smylinacha
06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Amen - you said it!

I think there is a certain amount of "cache" that belongs with a HD. I rode one for years and loved it all. However, I made a well-considered decision to no longer ryde on 2 wheels. This is for my safety as well as others. Another motorcyclist does not need to consider my decision but, believe me, they are safer on the road because I'm on a Spyder and not another 2-wheel bike. I remember when trikes were considered.......amusing.

Frankly, as a woman of a certain age I could give a rat's arse what any other rider thinks of me. Some people are friendly, some are not. Some are curious about my Spyder, some are dismissive. I always try to acknowledge other riders simply because I respect the decision for us to be out there and take the risks and live the adventures.

I love my Spyder and I think it rocks!

RoadHammer
06-01-2010, 08:37 PM
i find the worst attitudes come from the crotchies, the hd/yami/honda crowd are always nice.