PDA

View Full Version : BRP Sport Rack Helmet Locks

Erags
05-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to install the sports rack helmet locks, but I read there are three screws holding the bottom on. I can only see two screws. If anyone can me where the third screw is, I would be thankful.

happyspyder2039
05-30-2010, 12:27 PM
where did you find the helmet locks for the sport rack? think that would be nice to have/more trunk space

wyliec
05-30-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm trying to install the sports rack helmet locks, but I read there are three screws holding the bottom on. I can only see two screws. If anyone can me where the third screw is, I would be thankful.

Look at the plastic piece just above the rear tire. There are 7 screws; three on each side and the 7th at the very top (which is I believe the third screw you are looking for).

wyliec
05-30-2010, 12:40 PM
where did you find the helmet locks for the sport rack? think that would be nice to have/more trunk space

I found it by accident yesterday. Someone here posted pictures; it's a homemade set up. I happened to find it at the top where the pictures scroll across. I cannot remember the screen name of that person. It looks good; but, I wouldn't one to keep lifting the backrest. Some members have had trouble with the pin coming loose and breaking tabs.

Here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/all_albums.php?s=&sort=lastpicturedate&order=desc&page=1&query=BRP+Sport+Rack+Helmet+Locks+

Erags
05-31-2010, 06:44 AM
thank you that was the right screw. The cover slide aft that was the trick.

again thank you for your help:2thumbs:

Diggittt
06-01-2010, 05:17 PM
I found it by accident yesterday. Someone here posted pictures; it's a homemade set up. I happened to find it at the top where the pictures scroll across. I cannot remember the screen name of that person. It looks good; but, I wouldn't one to keep lifting the backrest. Some members have had trouble with the pin coming loose and breaking tabs.

Here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/all_albums.php?s=&sort=lastpicturedate&order=desc&page=1&query=BRP+Sport+Rack+Helmet+Locks+

worked like a charm thank you very much for a great find....:2thumbs:

Diggittt

Magnum Force
06-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Just finished my installation of the helmet locks. GREAT idea :2thumbs:
It did take a little grinding of the gridwork under the top cover to make room for the d-ring clearence, but no big deal. I measured about 10 times in different directions to get the placement to drill the holes, came out pretty close to where they need to be. All in all not too bad of an install. I did make a mistake and removed the 4 bolts inside the waterproof compartment, and took apart the whole thing before I realized that all I needed to remove were the three under the tail piece. One on each side and one in the center toward the seat. The part nos. and descriptions of the pieces needed for this from Home Depot were of great help and made it all that much easier. It cost under 5 bucks total!
Thanks again for the great idea!

1VENOM
06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
:2thumbs: Great idea, I did it as well, lucked out no grinding required :yikes:. Here are a few pics, the rest are in my photo album, feel free to check them out.

Toys42
06-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for giving it a try. I should have posted the story here instead of the general forum. I finally made a trip after installing the locks a few weeks ago when I posted the photos. I had a cooler in the frunk so there was no room for my helmet and the lock came in handy as opposed to carrying the helmet around at every stop.

I am sure someone creative on the board can make a template and sell the kit on E-bay for $20.00. :roflblack:

Firefly
06-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I've never had a problem with just leaving helmets on the bike--- people generally just don't mess with such things.

Magnum Force
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
1VENOM, how did you get enough clearance for the d-rings under the top to latch down without grinding away some of the web? The web on mine almost contacts the bottom when closed. It closed fine without the helmet, with just the posts installed, but with the d-rings around them it wouldn't close down far enough without grinding. Post placement wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe there is a difference in how tight the tops close or something?

NancysToy
06-08-2010, 10:46 AM
1VENOM, how did you get enough clearance for the d-rings under the top to latch down without grinding away some of the web? The web on mine almost contacts the bottom when closed. It closed fine without the helmet, with just the posts installed, but with the d-rings around them it wouldn't close down far enough without grinding. Post placement wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe there is a difference in how tight the tops close or something?
Also there are differences in D-rings from helmet manufacturer to helmet manufacturer. Just a thought...

boborgera
06-08-2010, 10:59 AM
I've never had a problem with just leaving helmets on the bike--- people generally just don't mess with such things.

:agree:Plus if somebody needs a used Helmet with left over gray hairs in it
they can have it.:ohyea:

1VENOM
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM

I only use one (1) D-ring to hang the helmets as shown in the pic below.
I have included another pic which shows the clearance I have with the Back rest locked down.

bone crusher
06-08-2010, 10:57 PM

:agree:

SllimG
11-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Looking at everything, it appears this only works with the backrest and not with the sportrack cover.