PDA

View Full Version : Available mufflers and Exhaust dB

ThreeWheels
05-30-2010, 05:04 AM
I haven't taken a sound meter to my RT yet, maybe I'll do that next week. I'm sure it's legal but it's also pretty loud.

My last two bikes were a 1st Gen Yamaha Venture 1200cc and a
Honda ST 1100.

Both of which were MUCH quieter. The ST sounded like a finely built sewing machine. It just seems to me that these spyders are too damn loud. Something this expensive should sound more like a Lexus and less like my Snapper rear engine rider.

Does anyone know of any exhaust pipes that make the thing hum like the fine machine it is, instead of an open pipe lawnmower?

fastfraser
05-30-2010, 06:13 AM
:dontknow: Most are looking for a louder pipe.

retired1
05-30-2010, 09:53 AM
My RT-S is very quiet. I wonder if something happened during manufacture of your muffler? Maybe just compare it to another RT. Mistakes in manufacture have been made.

IWN2RYD
05-30-2010, 11:02 AM
My RT-S is very quiet. I wonder if something happened during manufacture of your muffler? Maybe just compare it to another RT. Mistakes in manufacture have been made.

:agree: My pipe was VERY quiet for out taste. So much so I could not hear the shift points ( I do not use the RPM gauge) past 2nd gear. Kep in mind I am wearing a full face Scorpion EXO-900 that blocks a good amount of sound.

So teh first MOD I di with 2 miles on ours was go to the Two Brothers Slip-on... WE also have the two tips to quiet it down to the need of the day :2thumbs:

ThreeWheels
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM

I don't think there is an error. It sounds like other RT's and is no louder than a Harley. I just want it to be quieter, if possible. I know others want louder pipes, but anybody can make their pipes louder with a drill.

It does seem like I'm looking in the wrong place here.

NancysToy
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't think there is an error. It sounds like other RT's and is no louder than a Harley. I just want it to be quieter, if possible. I know others want louder pipes, but anybody can make their pipes louder with a drill.

It does seem like I'm looking in the wrong place here.
I am on your side. I think that the RT muffler is a bit louder than the stock RS muffler. Certainly it is louder than my BMW. Not necessarily objectionable to me, but a surprise for a touring machine. I think a bit of that is just due to the wind protection and the great amount of wind backlash. It carries all the sound forward. Installing a large windshield on an RS has a similar effect...you hear the exhaust instead of the wind. Not sure there is a solution beyond earplugs..which I recommend anyway.

widowmaker2011
06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I am on your side. I think that the RT muffler is a bit louder than the stock RS muffler. Certainly it is louder than my BMW. Not necessarily objectionable to me, but a surprise for a touring machine. I think a bit of that is just due to the wind protection and the great amount of wind backlash. It carries all the sound forward. Installing a large windshield on an RS has a similar effect...you hear the exhaust instead of the wind. Not sure there is a solution beyond earplugs..which I recommend anyway.

One difference not noted so far is the airbox "honk" which some people think is the exhaust. The RT has a VERY pronounced intake bellow under moderate to hard acceleration. I actually LOVE :2thumbs: the sound, 3rd gear roll ons from 4800 to 7800 RPM ..... it sounds sscccchhhhwwweeeeeettttt. Most times I can't even hear the exhaust over the intake. The RS has a far quieter stock intake. So , I agree it is louder than the RS stock versus stock under acceleration, but I for one love it. That being said , at 60 mph with the cruise set the RT is siginificantly quieter than any RS.
:D