PDA

View Full Version : Tire repair

namknight
05-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Want to get a tire repair kit for the road. Should I get one for car tires or motorcycle tires? Any suggestions or inputs will be noted. Thanks

bruceofthebronx
05-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I carry a Slime auto tire repair kit and a small compressor. I just ordered Ride On today, seems like a better safe than sorry. Hope it's all jsut a waste of money. Ride safe my friend.

mdminc
05-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I've always carried a Stop&Go (http://www.stopngo.com/) kit. Fortunately, I've never had to use it.

MarkLawson
05-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I carry a Slime auto tire repair kit and a small compressor. I just ordered Ride On today, seems like a better safe than sorry. Hope it's all jsut a waste of money. Ride safe my friend.

Make sure you have a way to power that compressor since it'll likely need 15 amps. The outlet in the back is only 3 amps.

bruceofthebronx
05-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks Mark. I've got an 09 SM5 but had an outlet put in the frunk. Have a great weekend. By the way, are you riding up to Greenville nest week?

Be safe
Bruce

NancysToy
05-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Make sure you have a way to power that compressor since it'll likely need 15 amps. The outlet in the back is only 3 amps.

Thanks Mark. I've got an 09 SM5 but had an outlet put in the frunk. Have a great weekend. By the way, are you riding up to Greenville nest week?

Be safe
Bruce
The outlet in the back of the RT is 10 amps. The optional outlet in the front of the RS is 3 amps. Best bet if you use a Slime compressor (or equivalent) is to use the supplied alligator clips attached to the jumper terminals under the seat...on a running Spyder.

IMO, the Stop 'n Go kits are the best, especially for motorcycles. The thicker tread on the Spyder would probably hold the rope type seals well, though. Best of all is to just use Ride-On and forget about the tire kit...or use both.

bruceofthebronx
05-30-2010, 08:50 AM
The outlet in the back of the RT is 10 amps. The optional outlet in the front of the RS is 3 amps. Best bet if you use a Slime compressor (or equivalent) is to use the supplied alligator clips attached to the jumper terminals under the seat...on a running Spyder.

IMO, the Stop 'n Go kits are the best, escpecially for motorcycles. The thicker tread on the Spyder would probably hold the rope type seals well, though. Best of all is to just use Ride-On and forget about the tire kit...or use both.
Will do, thanks.

MarkLawson
05-30-2010, 04:33 PM

Be safe
Bruce

Don't expect to be in Greenville. What going on there?

bruceofthebronx
06-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Don't expect to be in Greenville. What going on there?
I missed your question. Southern Throttle starts tomorrow 6/4

dave711
06-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Where did you order your ride on from?...

Jornie1
06-03-2010, 10:56 PM
From the manual:
A 12 V power outlet is available on the
vehicle. It is located in the top storage
compartment.
A 12-volt electric appliance may be
connected to the jack connector. Electric
current is supplied all the time.
NOTICE The 12-volt power outlet
is not designed to supply current of
more than 3 amperes.

IMO, the Stop 'n Go kits are the best, especially for motorcycles. The thicker tread on the Spyder would probably hold the rope type seals well, though. Best of all is to just use Ride-On and forget about the tire kit...or use both.

Brevet05
06-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Where did you order your ride on from?...
I ordered direct. Ride-on's a site sponsor (click ad on forum home page) and gives a 10% discount when you use coupon code LAMONSTER. Happy trails!

buck1234
06-05-2010, 05:16 AM
Slime, ride-on, rubber plugs, telephone call to tow truck. Everyone a valid way to go.

I've kept mine simple. Online or at the auto store ATV tire repair kit about $30.00. It's just a motorcycle tire repair kit on STEROIDS. The CO2 canisters are twice the size of a regular one and 4 extras only cost $5.00. The only other extra is buy another tube of the rubber cement.

(Better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.)

Check the cement tube every season make sure it hasn't wicked away. Replace the plugging rope every 2 years.

You will hear differing opinions on the effectiveness and saftey of the plugging rope to repair a tire. Make you own mind up. I respect anyones thoughts if they differ from mine.

I worked tires 35 years ago and when the rope system came out back then it was as good as white bread and mayo. I have done many repairs over the years and even some sidewall and crown repairs and never had any failure or subsequent air leak. My 2 cents

Buck1234

Jornie1
06-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Pretty neat, and no amps required:

http://www.stopngo.com/products/video/pocketplugger.html

NancysToy
06-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Pretty neat, and no amps required:

http://www.stopngo.com/products/video/pocketplugger.html
The Stop-n-Go tire pluggers work real well. I don't recommend the kits with CO2 cartridges for a Spyder, though. It takes several cartridges just to fill a large motorcycle tire. It would take about a case to fill the rear tire on a Spyder. Small compressor is a better alternative.

pierrelogic
06-23-2010, 09:26 PM
The Stop-n-Go tire pluggers work real well. I don't recommend the kits with CO2 cartridges for a Spyder, though. It takes several cartridges just to fill a large motorcycle tire. It would take about a case to fill the rear tire on a Spyder. Small compressor is a better alternative.

Scotty, just thinking outside the box for a minute. The larger tire would take a ton of compressed air cartridges to work. :agree:

3 tires on the spyder the chances to get a flat on the smaller tires seems more likely than the large one just due to the odds. Given that theory, carrying come CO2 cartridges might get you out of a pinch if only until you can take care of the tire on a more permanent basis.

That being said...any cyclists here have an idea how many CO2 cartridges it may take to get one of the smaller tires (after being repaired with a plug) pumped up enough to get you back on the road until you can properly inflate the tire? :chat:

One 16 oz cartridge can deliver 40 PSI to a mountain bike tire...how many more could it take to get the PSI up to 14-15 on a Spyder front end tire? 3 or 4 maybe? (just throwing out a number)

Carrying around even 6 CO2 cartridges eliminates the need for an electric compressor that no question would weigh more and take up more space than the cartridges. Not to mention no need for electricity. That CO2 is cold going in so it could expand when heats from ryding too providing more PSI. nojoke

All due respect here...just considering alternatives. :D

NancysToy
06-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Scotty, just thinking outside the box for a minute. The larger tire would take a ton of compressed air cartridges to work. :agree:

3 tires on the spyder the chances to get a flat on the smaller tires seems more likely than the large one just due to the odds. Given that theory, carrying come CO2 cartridges might get you out of a pinch if only until you can take care of the tire on a more permanent basis.

That being said...any cyclists here have an idea how many CO2 cartridges it may take to get one of the smaller tires (after being repaired with a plug) pumped up enough to get you back on the road until you can properly inflate the tire? :chat:

One 16 oz cartridge can deliver 40 PSI to a mountain bike tire...how many more could it take to get the PSI up to 14-15 on a Spyder front end tire? 3 or 4 maybe? (just throwing out a number)

Carrying around even 6 CO2 cartridges eliminates the need for an electric compressor that no question would weigh more and take up more space than the cartridges. Not to mention no need for electricity.

All due respect here...just considering alternatives. :D
You raise good points. Not sure of the odds, front vs. rear. The rear tire is wider, so that evens the odds out some. It takes some 3-5 cartidges to fill a sport touring motorcycle tire to about 25-30 psi to limp to an air station. Estimating that the Spyder front tires are wider and taller, but on smaller rims, I would guess the volume of the Spyder tires is about double...or better. The needed pressure is less. I would guess at 4-6 cartridges to get to 15 psi, but that is not a calculation, just an estimate. Also, unless you keep the pressure very near that of the other tire, you can have steering problems, so you would still want to limp carefully to an air station. One advantage over a motorcycle, the flatter, thicker tread should hold a repair better. Motorcycle tire repairs are seldom good for much more than 30 miles.

The rear is another matter. I'd say it was three times the volume of the front, just from the look of it. At least twice the volume...and higher pressure. That means about a bushel basket of cartridges. Not much fun...and costly. We both carry Slime compressors. They are very compact, and do not take much trunk space in their hard cases. Not really much larger than the Stop-n-Go tire repair kit. If I had room under the seat, I'd carry a Slime compressor on my BMW.

buck1234
07-14-2010, 07:49 PM
A quick thought.
How often do we have more than one tire flat?

If you get the ATV repair kit, its made for balloon tires the size of our rear tires. 3 or 4 of the large size co2 canisters will fill the rear tire to 25 +psi, which is a bit soft but driveable.

So a standard kit will do the job and 4 extra steroid size co2 canisters only cost $5.00 if you want to be sure of higher inflation.

Be prepared

Buck1234:2thumbs: