PDA

View Full Version : Purchased and Returned

osskicker
05-28-2010, 06:53 PM
We bought an 09 SE5 a couple weeks ago from a used dealer with 1800 miles. 20 minutes into the 45 min ride home the trans started acting up, stopped and topped off the fuel. When trying to pull away the rpm's raced and the bike didn't move. Called the dealer and away it went on a rollback to the can am dealer. Giving them a chance to make it right and several excuses later we called the can am dealer ourselves. We were told they had 2 techs and 80 bikes ahead of us (not all can ams) but they did look at it between bikes. They stated they have never seen so many fault codes. Today we received a full refund. :2thumbs: We have noticed to me what seems to be a lot of used can am's with less than 1500 miles for sale. Is this not strange? Why would someone spend 16k $$ or more and then trade or sell it with only 400, 600, 1000 or more miles? You don't see this with other bikes with so few on the market. Am I the only one that thinks this is strange? :yikes:

osskicker
05-28-2010, 06:59 PM
We are still going to purchase an RS but I think we will go new!!:2thumbs::chat:

NancysToy
05-28-2010, 07:09 PM
We bought an 09 SE5 a couple weeks ago from a used dealer with 1800 miles. 20 minutes into the 45 min ride home the trans started acting up, stopped and topped off the fuel. When trying to pull away the rpm's raced and the bike didn't move. Called the dealer and away it went on a rollback to the can am dealer. Giving them a chance to make it right and several excuses later we called the can am dealer ourselves. We were told they had 2 techs and 80 bikes ahead of us (not all can ams) but they did look at it between bikes. They stated they have never seen so many fault codes. Today we received a full refund. :2thumbs: We have noticed to me what seems to be a lot of used can am's with less than 1500 miles for sale. Is this not strange? Why would someone spend 16k $$ or more and then trade or sell it with only 400, 600, 1000 or more miles? You don't see this with other bikes with so few on the market. Am I the only one that thinks this is strange? :yikes:
I am sorry your experience did not work out. The pity is that it could have been as simple as a loose relay or a run down battery. Both will cause cascading codes like that. Simple to fix. I have seen every manner of motorcycle for sale with low miles, so your reports don't seem strange to me. Not sure where you see all these, used Spyders seem scarce in our area. In terms of Spyders on the market, one does need to consider two things...it costs a lot of money (by comparison), and it handles quite differently from a motorcycle. If a person gets in over their head in these tough economic times, expensive toys sometimes have to go. That can account for some of what you have seen. Also, try as they might, some people just cannot adapt, or don't care for the non-leaning handling experience. Some of those try the Spyder and move on. The rest of us, meanwhile, are enjoying the heck out our Spyders. Sorry you didn't get a chance to join us, hope you try again.

osskicker
05-28-2010, 07:14 PM
That is the point I was trying to make. With so few used spyder's on the market the ratio with such low miles seems high. Usually it is rare to find a bike with such low miles.

canam9
05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
:agree:

krb1945
05-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Many on the market are demo units. Some purchasers thought it would be cool to have a spyder but then after getting them decided "it wasn't their cup of joe"! So now they are on the market.

As Scotty said a loose relay or weak battery can cause many errors to occur. That is one of the main reasons for having a battery tender and use it regurlarly.

We have two 08 SMs and one 09 SE and none of them have been a problem. I purchased both the 08s used. Only the 09 SE5 was purchased new. I do all the maintenance that doesn't require the B.U.D.S software.

So don't think all the demo's or used units are defective. Ken krb1945

osskicker
05-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I haven't found any demos yet that is why I thought it was strange. I have a 2004 Harley with 6100 miles and I feel it is just broke in good now. I bought it new in 07. I found an 09 SE5 with 600 miles the story is it is a trade in, the guy bought it to teach his wife to ride and then traded in on a 2 wheel cruiser. Two different rides, and an expensive lesson. Just sounds unusual to me.

I guess I was worried about an underlying problem that people are getting out of them. I have found a new 09 if I can get a good price. The 2011's will be here in Oct I think.

Thanks for the input, I am determined to have one soon, was looking forward to putting some miles on the one we tried to bring home.

Questions
05-28-2010, 08:53 PM
We bought 2 se-5 new from the local dealer. mine has not had any real problems other than idle bounces around and it doesn't like to go into neutral. The wifes (bought 1 day before mine from the same place. started off not idling, then it had a spaz with the steering, then it started not wanting to down shift. It has been back at the can-am dealer for atleast 6 items, The last time they had it for 3 weeks, just to replace the GPS. they claimed the tested it and everything was working. well the first time my wife took it the engine ran ok but fast like 2500 rpms, she thought it was just cold. atleast it shifted ok, all the way up to 3 gear then the engine contiuned to climb till it hit 10500 rpms. and it wouldn't come down resulting in it wrecking... She came out with a broken wrist, torn rotator cuff bruses etc but it could have been worse, it now up for sale with only 515 miles but it looks like new!!! so beware !!!!

boborgera
05-28-2010, 09:22 PM
I hate to say this but the Spyder is novelty toy to some people, an expensive :shocked: one at that.
So once the novelty wares off out it gos, Not unlike Mustang GT's and the like. You'll see a ton of novelty bikes/cars for sale with low mileage.:(
Nothing necessary wrong with them, just people moving on to the next toy.:ohyea:

murphybrown
05-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I bought my 2010 RTSE5 from a dealer that wanted my business. I did not anticipate any problems and fortunately none have occurred. Nor had I found this site until after purchased .. therefore ignorance has been blissful. Picked up in Wilmington, IL...made Omaha, NE first nite...North Platte, NE next nite...got the 600 mile service from wonderful dealership (Budke's) there...on to Sheridan, WY tonight....Hopefully Missoula, MT tomorrow then on into Chelan, WA and home Sunday. I've become a SPYDER lover. Everyone have an incredible Memorial Day Weekend and remember all that have sacrificed so we can have our wonderful freedoms.... :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
05-28-2010, 10:00 PM
I bought my 2010 RTSE5 from a dealer that wanted my business. I did not anticipate any problems and fortunately none have occurred. Nor had I found this site until after purchased .. therefore ignorance has been blissful. Picked up in Wilmington, IL...made Omaha, NE first nite...North Platte, NE next nite...got the 600 mile service from wonderful dealership (Budke's) there...on to Sheridan, WY tonight....Hopefully Missoula, MT tomorrow then on into Chelan, WA and home Sunday. I've become a SPYDER lover. Everyone have an incredible Memorial Day Weekend and remember all that have sacrificed so we can have our wonderful freedoms.... :thumbup:

I am glad to hear things are going well for you on your long journey home with your new Spyder as well. :thumbup:

Batmobile
05-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Dealership closest to me has 3 09 demo units for sale, all with low miles. 2 sm5s for $13,999 and a se5 for $14,999.

Roger
05-28-2010, 10:31 PM
We are still going to purchase an RS but I think we will go new!!:2thumbs::chat:
:congrats: i have a 2010 rs se5 like scotty said it could have been a loose relay so every once in awhile when i have to put something in the trunk i mean the frunk i open the fuse box and just check the fuses and relays not a big deal i have been meaning to put a piece of foam in their just to keep it snug but always seem to forget probably because i never had that problem so i'am not to worried about it.

bone crusher
05-28-2010, 10:48 PM
That is the point I was trying to make. With so few used spyder's on the market the ratio with such low miles seems high. Usually it is rare to find a bike with such low miles.

disagree. The Spyder is usually not a primary vehicle and if someone is gonna get rid of something, it's gonna be the toy...the Spyder. The bike is only 2 years...how many do you think you're gonna see second hand with 10s of thousands of miles on them?

happyspyder2039
05-28-2010, 10:55 PM
When i first got my:spyder2: it had a bad relay that cause Chk engine light/chk dps. I went to autoparts store and upgraded relay. fixed problem.Only other problem was low brake fluid that caused Warning.Dealer added some & told me to keep on on it as the sensors are really close to top of tank.Were within first 600/1000 mile range. No other issues in 5000 miles yet.

jimjel
05-28-2010, 11:30 PM
disagree. The Spyder is usually not a primary vehicle and if someone is gonna get rid of something, it's gonna be the toy...the Spyder. The bike is only 2 years...how many do you think you're gonna see second hand with 10s of thousands of miles on them?

I would think the value of a 3 year old Spyder without a warranty would be very low. I would buy a GL1800 trike with no warranty and 50k miles on it, and not give it a second thought, but not a Spyder.

bruceofthebronx
05-29-2010, 08:00 AM
I've got an 09 SM5, ready for it's 5000 mile service. While the dealer I purchased it from, new, no longer carries Can Am, the machine has been wonderful, no issues, just pleasure. My concern is the American auto industry had a bad attitude back in their day and paid the consequences, I feel BRP is selling lots of goodies, now, and does not take good care of their dealership management. That should come back and bite them, I just hope it's soon? Just my 2 cents. God Bless our troops.

FANG
05-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I haven't found any demos yet that is why I thought it was strange. I have a 2004 Harley with 6100 miles and I feel it is just broke in good now. I bought it new in 07. I found an 09 SE5 with 600 miles the story is it is a trade in, the guy bought it to teach his wife to ride and then traded in on a 2 wheel cruiser. Two different rides, and an expensive lesson. Just sounds unusual to me.

I guess I was worried about an underlying problem that people are getting out of them. I have found a new 09 if I can get a good price. The 2011's will be here in Oct I think.

Thanks for the input, I am determined to have one soon, was looking forward to putting some miles on the one we tried to bring home.

Your comment about low mileage spyders on the market confuses me a bit. You make reference to the Harley you bought new in 2007 6100 miles. Not exactly high mileage. I have 13,000+ on my 2008 GS and wouldn't trade it for the world.

I agree with Scotty in his comments - expense toy; tough economic times; not exactly what a person really wanted after having the spyder for a while. don't see a whole lot of used spyders for sale in my area either.

I perfer to buy new myself - always have. Good luck on finding your spyder. It really is a great ryde. Glad that you found a dealer willing to give you a refund too.

WackyDan
05-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Heck... I found an 08 silver moon SM5 (just like mine) when I was shopping Spyders... 150 miles after a year of ownership. Story: They bought it to ride together, and soon after got divorced. NC then decided to classify the Spyder as a motorcycle and she didn't have a license. I wanted to buy it, but she wanted 15k...Last April 09 with only one year of warranty.

Before I bought the Spyder I was looking for a used VMax. I was finding great deals on bikes that were lucky if they saw 300-500 miles a year.

I just met a guy with a brand new honda (ST1300?)... Less than 500 miles on it. He was trading it in for an RT.

That is the problem with bikes. If you buy the wrong one, it is very wrong, and most will part with it. IF you buy the wrong car... Well, they are all pretty much the same, the seats mostly comfy, keeps you dry, gets the mileage advertised, etc.... You generally keep the car as it was more pricey, and it does a basic job fairly well.

Bikes are fun, they are toys, though to some of us they are serious hobbies and primary vehicles. Most people just view them as an extra vehicle... hence the low mileage trades.

osskicker
05-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Your comment about low mileage spyders on the market confuses me a bit. You make reference to the Harley you bought new in 2007 6100 miles. Not exactly high mileage. I have 13,000+ on my 2008 GS and wouldn't trade it for the world.

I agree with Scotty in his comments - expense toy; tough economic times; not exactly what a person really wanted after having the spyder for a while. don't see a whole lot of used spyders for sale in my area either.

I perfer to buy new myself - always have. Good luck on finding your spyder. It really is a great ryde. Glad that you found a dealer willing to give you a refund too.

Thanks Bill, yes I bought the Harley new in 07 and put 2000 miles a yr on it

osskicker
05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Christy and I are sold on the spyder just want to find a good deal on one that runs good, we can enjoy riding and fixing up for a long time.
Thanks for all the comments
we hope to have our new spyder in the next 2 weeks :2thumbs:

krb1945
05-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Osskicker... just remember when you get your spyder... even if it is brand new the first thing you do after checking the oil is put a battery tender on that new battery overnight. A weak battery causes more problems than you can count on two hands.

Also ask Christy if she has an Aunt Olivia? /Ken krb1945