PDA

View Full Version : Summer Mesh Jackets --Pros/Cons

glynnk
05-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Ride with folks (some Spyder ryders and 2 wheelers) that are evenly dividied in their Summer riding attire--some wear mesh jackets while others like me wear t-shirt and vest. I know the old saying that you "dress for the wreck not the ride" sorta applies, but for the life of me, in spite of all the comments to the contrary, the mesh jackets look like they would be hot. Folks that wear them disagree, so let's see a show of hands--1) who wear mesh jackets in the Summer and 2) who wear t-shirts or other lite wear?

Glynnk

Pincushion
05-28-2010, 06:22 PM
I have a Scorpion Cool Rod mesh jacket... I love it.
It really is pretty close to wearing a t-shirt in terms of air flow once you start moving...it weighs more than a t-shirt but it has a removable wind proof liner and CE armor in the elbows and back....:2thumbs:highly recommend it.:2thumbs:

PLUS I just saw a HUGE sale on this jacket the other day for 1/3 of what I paid.

glynnk
05-28-2010, 06:32 PM
It really is pretty close to wearing a t-shirt in terms of air flow once you start moving...it weighs more than a t-shirt but it has a removable wind proof liner and CE armor in the elbows and back....:2thumbs:highly recommend it.:2thumbs:

PLUS I just saw a HUGE sale on this jacket the other day for 1/3 of what I paid.
Yeah, I think I saw that same ad...frankly, that's what got me going on the mesh jacket issue. I'm tempted to buy one of those.

Glynnk

Latemarch
05-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Motoport Ultramesh II (http://www.motoport.com/_product_35442/Ultra_II_Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Jacket)
I use this one in grey and black without the top pockets.
It's Kevlar and won't fall apart if you hit the asphalt.
Yet, if you hold it up to the light you can see thru it everywhere.
Even the armor is perforated. Cool as long as you're moving.:D

Tripod
05-28-2010, 06:43 PM
I use a Fieldsheer mesh jacket that has an outer textile shell that zips on plus a liner for for colder weather. It's really good year round. Of course, being in SoCal we don't get extremes...only when we go looking for them.

Tripod :joke:

2NFrnt
05-28-2010, 06:49 PM
The wife and I both wear Firstgear mesh jackets we got from New Enough and like them. Like the others we agree they are warm (not hot) when stopped, but once underway they are comfortable. Not real hot here, but 90+ last Sunday and we were good for 1 1/2 hour ride.

Sam

NancysToy
05-28-2010, 06:50 PM
My wife and I wear mesh when it is warm. To me, it is actually cooler than a T-shirt, because it shades you and keeps the sun from burning you. A friend from Florida turned me on to it, and I have nevr looked back. Love the stuff! I will admit to wearing shorts under the pants when it goes over 90 degrees, though. We have put our riding gear (solid textile) in our bags in the past, and have ridden "naked" when it the weather warmed up. It did little but make us nervous. You can't enjoy the ride if you are worried every minute. Dress for the slide, not for the ride!

DynamoBT
05-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Most of my gear is Firstgear. But I wear a Fieldsheer mesh jacket. Wouldn't even consider riding without armor on. Mesh keeps you plenty cool. Between the wind and the sun on bare skin, dehydration is a real risk. I stay cooler with mesh gear. Below say around 75 to 78 degrees I wear vented textile. ATGATT All The Gear All The Time

IWN2RYD
05-28-2010, 07:41 PM
My wife and I wear mesh when it is warm. To me, it is actually cooler than a T-shirt, because it shades you and keeps the sun from burning you. A friend from Florida turned me on to it, and I have nevr looked back. Love the stuff! I will admit to wearing shorts under the pants when it goes over 90 degrees, though. We have put our riding gear (solid textile) in our bags in the past, and have ridden "naked" when it the weather warmed up. It did little but make us nervous. You can't enjoy the ride if you are worried every minute. Dress for the slide, not for the ride!
:agree::agree::agree:

I for one was a t-shirt and sunblock rider.... Then with this RT purchase I was strong-armed into trying the Tourmaster "Flex". Man have I been missing out all these years!!!

We took them to Cali on our trip.. Every day there was 85f+. The first day out I refused to try... Got burned of course (Darn sunblock lies on the bottles!!!). That afternoon/evening I tried the mesh jacket (Outer shell and inner liner removed from the flex). And bam... I could no longer feel the efect of the sun hitting my sunburn!!!

I was amazed! As soon as you start moving down the road, withen minutes your cooler than you had been before you put on the mesh.

Very pleased, and use it every time now :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Lucky
05-28-2010, 08:00 PM
Tourmaster Flex here also. Went to Mexico from central Wisconsin in August (Don't ask) and every day was over 100. Used a cooling vest under the mesh and it was tolerable. I'm an old fat guy so I definitely feel the heat but since I found the Flex and the vest, I'm golden.

Bob

VaughnCat
05-28-2010, 08:09 PM
We both wore leather ALL last summer on the Suzuki . . . but we've already discussed options for this Summer . . . Vaughn has a textile w/armor, and I just bought a Fieldsheer w/armor . . .
so, we're movin' on up :roflblack:

ARtraveler
05-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Wife wears a Firstgear mesh jacket and I have a Hein Geirke mesh jacket. We like them for riding when the weather hits the scorching 70's here in Alaska. We actually got to wear them on last nights club ride (75--a record for us). For both of us--its a safety gear issue. I would reather have some padding and protection against road rash if something bad were to happen. Helmets always of course.

wyliec
05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Tourmaster Flex here also. Went to Mexico from central Wisconsin in August (Don't ask) and every day was over 100. Used a cooling vest under the mesh and it was tolerable. I'm an old fat guy so I definitely feel the heat but since I found the Flex and the vest, I'm golden.

Bob

I just took a look at the Flex. Does it have 3 layers- liner, outer shell, and mesh with armor?

GeminiJane
05-28-2010, 08:22 PM
I can't wear my mesh until temps hit about 80 or more - otherwise I'm actually cool due to the forced air coming through the perforations which feels like an air conditioning vent turned on you. I have probably 7 or 8 mesh jackets - all styles and colors to mix and match with helmets and bikes, of course! But I love them all and would never dream of riding without the protection they offer.

boborgera
05-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I've been wearing a Firstgear mesh jacket every Summer for ten years now, It's amazing how it keeps you cool, and i might add a little margin of safety too. When your out there in the open you need a little more than skin to protect you! [guess how i know] I should have been wearing one 11 years ago.:cus::yikes:

jnt
05-28-2010, 09:08 PM
We discovered Joe Rocket mesh in Montana when it was 106. we were MUCH cooler standing in the sun in BLACK mesh than in a white T-shirt!! ok, they don't have the protection of a full Stich or Leather, but have seen people who had get-offs wearing mesh: much better than just t-shirts. Always better to shred a jacket than to shred me!

SpyderWolf
05-28-2010, 10:07 PM
I wore my Firstgear mesh jacket today and it was 97 degrees with high humidity. I got pretty warm when stopped at traffic lights, as did my Spyder, but once I was moving again the temp became very tolerable. Last time I rode with a T-Shirt and sunscreen, I had a reaction to the darn sunscreen and my arms had little red pimple like things all over them. :hun: I won't be making that mistake again.

scudrunner
05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
We both have Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets. They are great. Zip out waterproof lining is good for winter around here. As long as you are moving, the jackets are cool.
We just got some Fieldsheer 4 Seasons pants but haven't used them yet. Bound to be cooler than blue jeans with shorts under. Although we're dressing for the slide, I'm hoping that we've wasted our money.

StanTheMan
05-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm too "chicken" to ride without protection. I always wore protective gear from the start and riding without at least a protective jacket (always) and back protector (when highway riding) would be like driving without a seatbelt (I would not feel comfortable).

I purchased the BRP Summer Mesh Jacket and Pants. Very satisfied with the jacket. It has a removable liner. The elbow and shoulder pads are sold separately. The pants are comfortable, but tailored for someone closer to 6' tall. I'm 5'5" and the pants are about 4" too long (hoping to grow into them...LOL).

Ride Safe.

SpyderWolf
05-28-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm too "chicken" to ride without protection. I always wore protective gear from the start and riding without at least a protective jacket (always) and back protector (when highway riding) would be like driving without a seatbelt (I would not feel comfortable).

I purchased the BRP Summer Mesh Jacket and Pants. Very satisfied with the jacket. It has a removable liner. The elbow and shoulder pads are sold separately. The pants are comfortable, but tailored for someone closer to 6' tall. I'm 5'5" and the pants are about 4" too long (hoping to grow into them...LOL).

Ride Safe.

I have the same problem with the Can-Am leather pants. I need to cuff them in order to not walk on them. :D

pierrelogic
05-29-2010, 12:30 AM
I looked at them all, and "settled" on Shift racing backdraft mesh (http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street-gear/jackets-men/68265.php). It comes with a liner but since the temps went up this week I took that out. The elbow shoulder and back padding are hardly noticeable. It got into the mid 80's this week and humidity pushing 70% at times. I was never hot...but very comfortable. Best accessory I've bought...so far. :D

Very happy with the Shift jacket and it matches the black tupperware.

Blue Star
05-29-2010, 12:32 AM
I have the same problem with the Can-Am leather pants. I need to cuff them in order to not walk on them. :D

I use to wear a leather jacket and leg covers (sorry CRS moment, and can't remember what they are called) when I rode my two-wheeler. I was told when I bought them that they are made long so you can hem to size.
I found that leather was VERY :chill: hot, but cooled off while moving. I am going to look into this mesh jacket when I get my Spyder.

murphybrown
05-29-2010, 07:30 AM

I bought my mesh jacket from the NewEnough folks on a great sale...but dang the weather hasn't been nice enough to wear yet..still comfortable with Can-Am leathers that were part of my purchase package..but think the mesh will be wonderful when we finally start getting summer around here. I value this old (literally!!) hide of mine that I'll wear it even if hot...have a great Memorial weekend - hopefully you will get in lots of Spyder Ryding :ohyea:

Yazz
05-29-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm a t-shirt kinda gal and Hubby wears long sleeved shirts to keep from sun burning.

This thread is very informative. Think Hubby might have to try a mesh jacket. It will be cooler for him than a long sleeved shirt.

Glynn, great question!

qasamm
05-29-2010, 09:01 AM
I wear a Firstgear mesh I got on sale for under $50 and my wife wears a matching one when she jumps on the back with me. Would not leave home without some protection on me.

Neez
05-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I use a PowerTrip mesh in hot weather. Like it a lot.

DarkSage
05-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I got asked if my gear was hot at least 5 times the other day when i went out shopping for supplies to fix the seat cowl (Thanks to everyone on this forum, its great to be able to find info like that so easily!).

I mean, sitting at a stop light, yeah, it gets warm, but so would anything else, i mean, you're at a stop light!

Mine has a lot of leather on it, but the base is all mesh, so the air flow IMO is actually better because it is able to flow through the entire jacket.

Clicker1944
05-29-2010, 09:58 AM
My wife and I use the mesh jackets with armor and the lining removed in the hot weather. Got mine from Leatherup.com brand name is Xelement. Really good deals on both. Like everyone else says nice when moving but get a little hot at traffic lights. All ok when the light turns green.

Prense01
05-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Olympia mesh jacket and pants w/ liners removed, tourmaster riding boots and leather gloves. It has been into the 90's here...no problems so far.

Chris :spyder:

WackyDan
05-29-2010, 10:35 AM
After my last wreck - You know... The one where I left my leathers and boots at home... I swore I'd never ride without protection again.

That isn't always true. My jacket is cool enough for most days, but some days it is just too hot and I will relent and wear a T-shirt. The jacket is always with me on the Spyder. Boots and gloves are always on.

I think the one mistake I made... There is black in my jacket. I went for a high visibility yellow and black... I'm due for a new jacket, and am eyeballing some of the really bright all yellow. I think that will make sunny days more tolerable. So... Choose your colors carefully.

Dochands
05-29-2010, 10:35 AM
The Motoport Ultramesh II (http://www.motoport.com/_product_35442/Ultra_II_Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Jacket) looks pretty amazing but am I correct that priced out with armor and liner its over $800?

I guess you get what you pay for but wow.

ataDude
05-29-2010, 10:56 AM
My wife and I wear mesh when it is warm. To me, it is actually cooler than a T-shirt, because it shades you and keeps the sun from burning you...

I agree! I alternate between a black/yellow Fieldsheer and a silver First Gear Leather MeshTex. I prefer the First Gear, though.

Odie
05-29-2010, 11:38 AM
White mesh riding jacket, always. Even in a 110* heat. :doorag:

Sarge707
05-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I always wear Army Boots, Gloves, Helmet and textile or Mesh jacket up to about 82 degrees. If it gets hotter than that I will throw the jacket in the frunk and put on a Long Sleeve Light Sweat shirt and Play "Escape and Evasion!":yikes:

PS: Amazing how many normal 2-wheelers were no protection at ALL except for a colorful Bandana on their Skull?:dontknow:

Latemarch
05-29-2010, 12:56 PM
The Motoport Ultramesh II (http://www.motoport.com/_product_35442/Ultra_II_Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Jacket) looks pretty amazing but am I correct that priced out with armor and liner its over $800?

I guess you get what you pay for but wow.

No, it's $429.
The quad armor is different than the tri armor that comes with the jacket. I don't see the advantage so stuck with the tri armor.
I did pay for the liner which comes in two parts the one part is waterproof for rain and the other insulated making it a 4 season jacket.

It's custom sewn. You take all your measurements and the jacket is custom made just for you......takes about 4 wks for it to show up.

dryheat
05-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Depends on what I'm riding and how far. On the Beemer, always a Joe Rocket Phoenix, helmet, gloves, mesh armored pants. On the Spyder I'm a bit more lax, sometimes jeans (never shorts), mesh jacket on longer rides, occasionally just a long sleeve white tee on short hops. (always a helmet and gloves, though).

MangoMike
05-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Before buying a mesh jacket you might want to watch this video on the LDComfort stuff. I have the shorts and swear buy them. You can also go to the LDComfort web site and contact Mario, the owner and he'll answer any questions you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn8NocCkbJw

Mike

RodO
05-30-2010, 10:58 PM
I wear a set of Rukka mesh jacket and pants all the time. They're plenty comfortable -- and luckily I've not tested their protection value -- but they give me good peace of mind.

IWN2RYD
05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Before buying a mesh jacket you might want to watch this video on the LDComfort stuff. I have the shorts and swear buy them. You can also go to the LDComfort web site and contact Mario, the owner and he'll answer any questions you have.

Mike

Ok.. Now that was a very informative video. Kudos fo that man!!! nojoke:thumbup::bowdown:

Latemarch
05-31-2010, 06:18 AM

Mike

If only I lived in AZ:coffee:

At 6:00AM it's 66F and the Rel Humidity is right at 95% :yikes: Which means that when it gets to 89 today the Rel Humidity, if we're lucky, will drop into the mid 60's.
In this kind of weather you need the all mesh jacket because you are desperately trying to get the sweat to evaporate which it doesn't want to do at these humidity levels.:gaah:
I still expect that the LDComfort shorts and shirt would still be a good investment as there's nothing worse than wet cotton next to your skin.
I currently wear CoolMax stuff and that seems better than cotton and a CoolMax bandanna keeps the sweat out of my eyes so the Lawrence of Arabia liner also looks tempting :thumbup:

Desert Spyder
05-31-2010, 06:28 AM

Mike

Pretty cool (pun intended). Good testimony.

jsteffey
05-31-2010, 06:43 AM
We wear Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh or BMW Airflow. Still wear helmet and gloves and protective footwear. I have put a 2-wheeler down and walked away wwith only bruises. Besides it looks cool and professional - ultimate UNHARLEY.:2thumbs:

taggtr
05-31-2010, 07:45 AM

Mike

After riding this weekend in Tucson I'm all over this LD Comfort stuff! Definitely gonna check it out!

bikeguy
05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I wear a Firstgear mesh jacket. The wife wears a Joe Rocket. We rode a little over 800 miles over Friday and Saturday in Texas heat up to 95 degrees. I can't say it was cool but it was bearable. I stopped wearing T-shirts some time ago because I would blister in the sun and wind. Before I found out about mesh jackets, I actually wore long sleeve white shirts for a while because they were cooler than short sleeves. We are also fans of cool vests.

Cotton

SpyderWolf
05-31-2010, 09:44 AM
If only I lived in AZ:coffee:

At 6:00AM it's 66F and the Rel Humidity is right at 95% :yikes: Which means that when it gets to 89 today the Rel Humidity, if we're lucky, will drop into the mid 60's.
In this kind of weather you need the all mesh jacket because you are desperately trying to get the sweat to evaporate which it doesn't want to do at these humidity levels.:gaah:
I still expect that the LDComfort shorts and shirt would still be a good investment as there's nothing worse than wet cotton next to your skin.
I currently wear CoolMax stuff and that seems better than cotton and a CoolMax bandanna keeps the sweat out of my eyes so the Lawrence of Arabia liner also looks tempting :thumbup:

:agree:

We have the same high humidity conditions here in SC, and I wonder if it would work at all in this climate. :dontknow: I have a funny feeling you would be soaking wet by the time you were done with the ride, but it may be worth a test.

scudrunner
05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
At 10 am here, it is 83 degrees, 77% humidity and a heat index of 90. We want evaporation here, that's the whole purpose of sweating. In Arizona, I can be out side and my shirt stays dry. Here, within 15 minutes, my shirt is soaked and I have sweat dripping in my eyes. I'm going to stick with my mesh for this climate.

wyliec
05-31-2010, 11:57 AM
:agree:

We have the same high humidity conditions here in SC, and I wonder if it would work at all in this climate. :dontknow: I have a funny feeling you would be soaking wet by the time you were done with the ride, but it may be worth a test.

I may order the hat or whatever it's called. That way I won't be out too much money. I'll stick with my mesh Joe Rocket.

Latemarch
05-31-2010, 12:50 PM
I may order the hat or whatever it's called. That way I won't be out too much money. I'll stick with my mesh Joe Rocket.

I think that the idea is to wear the LDComfort shirt under the mesh jacket rather than the typical cotton T.

NancysToy
05-31-2010, 01:42 PM
I think that the idea is to wear the LDComfort shirt under the mesh jacket rather than the typical cotton T.
That seemed to me like it might work, too. It would be neat to get a report back from someone who tries it.

wyliec
05-31-2010, 03:32 PM

I'm a little dense today. I'm not sure why you mentioned a cotton T shirt and the LDComfort shirt. I just mentioned maybe trying the hat.

I also have a cooling vest; so, I'm not sure the LDComfort shirt would be much better.

Latemarch
05-31-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm a little dense today. I'm not sure why you mentioned a cotton T shirt and the LDComfort shirt. I just mentioned maybe trying the hat.

I also have a cooling vest; so, I'm not sure the LDComfort shirt would be much better.

I think it was the "I'll stick to the mesh jacket" that prompted my response.
And I totally agree, I think the mesh jacket is the way to go in places, unlike AZ, where there is high humidity.
It was what you wear under the mesh jacket that has my attention.

Whose cooling vest do you use?
I've never tried one of those. How often do you have to rehydrate it? What do you wear under it?

wyliec
05-31-2010, 06:11 PM
I think it was the "I'll stick to the mesh jacket" that prompted my response.
And I totally agree, I think the mesh jacket is the way to go in places, unlike AZ, where there is high humidity.
It was what you wear under the mesh jacket that has my attention.

Whose cooling vest do you use?
I've never tried one of those. How often do you have to rehydrate it? What do you wear under it?

I have a hyperkewl. It seemed to dry out quickly; after about 2-3 hrs. But, to be fair I got it late last season, wore it once and haven't worn it yet this year. From what I understand, it has to be used a couple of times (broken in) before you get the full effect. I also may have made a mistake by wearing a cotton T-shirt under the vest; at least I think so after viewing that video.

dltang
05-31-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm a t-shirt kinda gal and Hubby wears long sleeved shirts to keep from sun burning.

This thread is very informative. Think Hubby might have to try a mesh jacket. It will be cooler for him than a long sleeved shirt.

Glynn, great question!

Yazz, you two sound like Brian and me. On the really hot days, a t-shirt is usually what you will see me wearing when I ride. Brian also wears long sleeves but he usually wears his jacket as well.

canam9
05-31-2010, 08:57 PM
:doorag:Old school leather for me

Saluda
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
We love our Firstgear mesh. Also got a Joe Rocket vest. I know I own too many jackets but were covered now no matter what. Also with New Enough pricing it hardly hurts to buy them all.

spyderflyer
06-01-2010, 06:39 PM
I ride with mesh jacket and cooling vest , I live Barstow and the temp sometime as high 120 , the jacket and vest keep cool for about 2 hrs or tank full of gas

Lucky
06-01-2010, 09:50 PM
To answer an earlier question, the TourMaster Flex has both a shell and liner so living in Wisconsin and taking road trips allows me to go from very hot to pretty cold with minimal packing bulk. I wear microfiber shirts sold in a variety of stores including motorcycle shops as well as sporting good stores. I use a TechNiche cooling vest with a full collar under the mesh when it really gets hot. I use a roll top waterproof travel bag to store the vest in case I need it on the ride. On, the vest lasts about 8 hours before it dries out. As I said, I am a big guy so I really feel the heat. In 100+ degree days, the riding is pretty tolerable. I walk in to a gas station with my mesh coat zipped up and people think I'm nuts. Two summer trips, one to Mexico and one to Lake Tahoe and the heat is no longer an issue. With the shell and liner, I can pack it all without taking multiple jackets as I did when I had FirstGear. Works for me but to each his/her own.

dryheat
06-03-2010, 06:54 PM
After riding this weekend in Tucson I'm all over this LD Comfort stuff! Definitely gonna check it out!

OK... I saw the video, thought what the heck, give the sleeves and headliner a try. Got them yesterday and just came back from a 55 mile ride in 97 degrees. THESE THINGS WORK!! Couldn't be happier. Almost too cold at first, until I regulated down the air coming in my sleeves. They lasted almost the hour on the ride until they dried out... then I could really feel the heat I had been missing. The moisture in headliner lasted a bit longer and I never felt a drop of sweat on my brow.
I think the tee shirt and shorts will be on my Father's Day wish list.
:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

SpyderWolf
06-03-2010, 07:25 PM
OK... I saw the video, thought what the heck, give the sleeves and headliner a try. Got them yesterday and just came back from a 55 mile ride in 97 degrees. THESE THINGS WORK!! Couldn't be happier. Almost too cold at first, until I regulated down the air coming in my sleeves. They lasted almost the hour on the ride until they dried out... then I could really feel the heat I had been missing. The moisture in headliner lasted a bit longer and I never felt a drop of sweat on my brow.
I think the tee shirt and shorts will be on my Father's Day wish list.
:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

Very glad to hear they perform in the dry heat as advertised. Now we just need someone to test them under high humidity conditions. :D

glynnk
06-03-2010, 07:42 PM
A lot of good comments and advice. I'm leaning toward a Tour Master Draft Air jacket. Price is right and it's not too heavy, seems to provide some decent protection and doesn't appear to be overly hot. Anybody have one of these? Appreciate comments/perspectives.

Glynnk