PDA

View Full Version : Throttlemate(throttle lock)

AMTJIM
05-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Since I need a throttle lock again, I ordered a throttlemate. I am just a little curious if they sent me the right one. A standard and metric version are available, I ordered the metric. The throttlemate is larger in diameter than the screw I had to remove and the instructions say to use a 1/4 20NC tap, why not a metric tap? Why not a tapered 5mm screw thats longer. Did they send me the right one, for any of you that have used this product? Or should I have received a metric version with different instructions?:dontknow:

Dragonrider
05-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Never had one, never seen one installed, and wouldn't put one on my bike & risk chewing up that cheap nylon pulley in the throttle housing. The cheap external clamps work well, and last for years, without damaging anything.

Just my $0.02

AMTJIM
05-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Welllllll, I got it on...but not as designed. It needs about 1/2~9/16 more thread length. I had to mod the unit to near death, but it works. I'll give it a road test tomorrow, it's pretty neat.:D

BillGargan
05-29-2010, 08:04 AM
I am not familiar with your device. The tech at my dealer was able to install the Throttlemeister very easily and with no hassles and no mods. And, it works wonderfully!

Roger
05-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I have the iso grips so i went with kuryakan throttle control plus the matching leftside grip.

bone crusher
05-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I am not familiar with your device. The tech at my dealer was able to install the Throttlemeister very easily and with no hassles and no mods. And, it works wonderfully!

Agree...love my TM...and it works great...no fear of any issues as you can always override it...many are fearful of it locking, but it can't do this...

Some Guy
05-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I have the ESI Throttle Assist. It's a super easy install and it works great! :thumbup:

These devices, whichever one you choose, are life-savers for your right arm! :D

AMTJIM
05-29-2010, 01:10 PM
It works! Being as simple as it is, if they don't make one of the length the spyder needs...I'll make one!

AMTJIM
05-29-2010, 11:56 PM
The good news is, a new kit with the longer thread length is on the way.
Thanx Throttlemate:thumbup:.

AMTJIM
06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
The good news is, the new one showed up. If you want one of these, don't get the Honda length. The Spyder needs the version all others use, the long one.

pitzerwm
12-12-2014, 03:43 PM
AMTJIM hasn't been around since July. Has anyone else installed this? My question is that the instructions say tap the metic hole to 1/4x20. Did you drill it out some or just stick the tap in and go for it.

Bob Denman
12-12-2014, 07:15 PM
:oldpost: 2010... :shocked:

pitzerwm
12-20-2014, 09:45 PM
I know that it is old, however, I bought one of these and the instructions according to the lady are 14 years old too. It would appear to me that this was never made for a Spyder, but after a couple of calls to the company, I got it installed and while I haven't tested it on the road, my test in the garage, seems to indicate that it will work.

Apparently they have two models, one for the HD and another that they call metric. The metric one comes with a 1/4" x 20 thread on the thing. What you need to do is take out the screw that holds the cables in the bottom of the throttle body. then you re-drill the hole with a 13/64th drill and thread that new hole to 1/4x20. Its plastic so its easy. I would suggest that you remove the 2 screws holding the throttle body together and take the body a part so that you won;t drill into the throttle itself and when you tap, you know when to quit.

Screw the part with the star wheel into the throttle body hole that you tapped out. You will have to play with how tight you make it so that when you tighten or untighten with the little handle that it adds the pressure to hold your speed.

There is another throttle lock for sale, just like it, but they give you a little jig to drill the hole straight. IMO you would be rather stupid to not be able to drill it straight. Of course you pay extra for the little jig.

Skyraider
01-30-2016, 06:57 PM
My choice is the CRUISE-MATE for $49.
Installed in 30 minutes or less. Functional right away.
Adjust throttle without re-setting, YES
What if I don't like it? Send it back for a full refund plus $20 for trying it. (ask Tom)
Cruise-Mate, (Tom) 877-642-3722

Since March, 2015, a Spyder still isn't a Gold Wing but I can ride 150 miles without my right hand asleep and in pain.

Here's the back story.
I purchased a 2009 Spyder GS se5 on Jan 1,2015 with 4500 miles in perfect condition. It took a lot of getting use to after my Gold Wing (all because of 3 heart aches and a weight loss of 55 pounds). I did a few things that made it more comfortable but as hard as I tried, I couldn't tame the handlebars. The vibration was outrageous but filling them with lead made a big difference. Now I can't ride more than 15 minutes before I have to pull over and wait for my right hand to "wake up". Still not satisfactory, I looked for anything from electronic cruise to "twist your little finger" lock..... all way out of line. I can only afford to stack but so many "you bought it, it's yours" products on the shelf.