PDA

View Full Version : gas mileage

Dukester
05-28-2010, 07:24 AM
I have 2008, my gas mileage just keeps getting worse, had it in the shop and they can't figure it out. Any ideas out there, what could be causing issue. Spyder runs great, just got terriable gas mileage, use to get around 170 out of a tank now I'm around 100. Thanks for any input.

krb1945
05-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Did you install mods that increased exhaust and air flow?

Also check you brakes you may have a brake that is not released. It doesn't take much brake drag to decrease MPGs.

Do you smell gas when you put it in the garage? If so check your gas cap. If ok... then check to see if the fumes are coming from the evap canister.

Also check all the fuel line Otiker clamps. This particular clamp is sometimes famous for leaking. I've replaced most of ours.

Another thing check the air cleaner. It could be partially clogged riching up the mixture. Do you seem to have an over abundance of power? That's a clue to increased mixture richness.

If I think of anything else that could be contributing to this problem I'll let you know.

Ken krb1945

Dukester
05-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Thank you for all the information, I'll check all these. I had it in the shop and they are very good. I trust these guys a lot. But again thanks for your ideas and I'll see what I can find out.

WackyDan
05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Mine got worse mileage when my O2 sensor went bad.... Ran a bit crappy at steady throttle, but ran great under hard acceleration....

happyspyder2039
05-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I have found that where i live Shell Midgrade gas works to get the best mileage. Around town and stop n go traffic i average 25. On the Hwy usually around 35- 37. With the best being 40 a time or two. Also discovered running at 70 ish is the sweet spot. Hope this helps

Eddie
05-28-2010, 11:37 PM
I have the J.B. , Green air filter M2 two Bros muffler and ride it like I stole it. Get an average of 32mph Not sure of strait Hw. Driving yet. Haven't had the chance.

krb1945
05-29-2010, 07:13 AM
What settings do you have on your JB? Ken krb1945

bone crusher
05-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I have the J.B. , Green air filter M2 two Bros muffler and ride it like I stole it. Get an average of 32mph Not sure of strait Hw. Driving yet. Haven't had the chance.

It'll drop if you're around 75mph as your tach will be at 5500...this will consume more fuel than riding on back roads where you can fiddle with the gears to keep the tach lower. 32mpg is excellent. I was up to 33-35 before the last update...will be riding a lot tomorrow, so we'll see what I'm at now...also have to tweak the JB again.

When riding home from the dealership several weeks ago, the JB was off...could really tell the difference...

Eddie
05-29-2010, 11:12 AM
What settings do you have on your JB? Ken krb1945
Don't get me to lieing. I just adjust were it runs best. Keep the first #s high and the others a little low. Try make sure 5 and 6 are the lowest with out being the same. I have tried many dif. settings. Got a little old trying to wright them down. So when the weather changes so do the settings

krb1945
05-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I appreciate the information. /Ken krb1945

MarkZ28
05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Im lucky to get over 30 combined, but I also give ot a lot of throttle sometimes. Wish it did as well as my 09 Hayabusa, it gets over 40 MPG combined even on the throttle a lot.

Eddie
05-30-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm sorry I couldn't give you better info. But' thats about the best way I could put it. If it starts running a little crappie. I go to adjusting to were it runs the best.:2thumbs: today I added the 02 mod. so far can't tell much of a diff. if any on how it runs. Still seems to have a little erratic idle.

I appreciate the information. /Ken krb1945

krb1945
05-30-2010, 10:02 AM
If it started the erratic idle started after the O2 mod did you decrease idle mixture a little. I'm thinking it might be idling a little too rich.

I'm studying all the information I can about the JB. I'm fixing to install one and a green filter on my SM.

Good luck with the tweaking. Ken krb1945

Eddie
05-30-2010, 11:48 AM
If it started the erratic idle started after the O2 mod did you idle mixture a little. I'm thinking it might be idling a little too rich.

I'm studying all the information I can about the JB. I'm fixing to install one and a green filter on my SM.

Good luck with the tweaking. Ken krb1945
No Its been having the idle problem for a wile.But' NO I have not messed with it since the 02 mod. I may need to. Will give that a try maybe later today,.

bone crusher
05-30-2010, 10:08 PM
I had my first 2 tanks since my second update and have been fiddling around with the JB...also got the air dam...not sure if that is working for me yet as my right leg is getting very hot and the engine, which should be running cooler, was at 4-5 bars all day...it was 85 degrees today though...ideally, the leg being hot should indicate the engine running cooler...argh...

Anyway, I've seen my mileage drop off after the second update....was up to 33-35 before, now 28-32. Also noted an increase in the popping from the hindle...I'll be fiddling with the JB to fix this...in the past, I've been able to tweak it enough to cut out most of the popping....let's hope I can do it again...

NancysToy
05-31-2010, 07:00 AM
I had my first 2 tanks since my second update and have been fiddling around with the JB...also got the air dam...not sure if that is working for me yet as my right leg is getting very hot and the engine, which should be running cooler, was at 4-5 bars all day...it was 85 degrees today though...ideally, the leg being hot should indicate the engine running cooler...argh...

Anyway, I've seen my mileage drop off after the second update....was up to 33-35 before, now 28-32. Also noted an increase in the popping from the hindle...I'll be fiddling with the JB to fix this...in the past, I've been able to tweak it enough to cut out most of the popping....let's hope I can do it again...
Take a peek at how your Y-gaskets are doing.

krb1945
05-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Bone Crusher it sounds like you might be running a little lean now. Mileage dropped off and the temp went up. Sounds Lean... does it try to nose over when you accelerate hard? Ken krb1945

I read your post again... and I think Scotty is right it also sounds like you have a manifold gasket that could be leaking too.

bone crusher
06-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Bone Crusher it sounds like you might be running a little lean now. Mileage dropped off and the temp went up. Sounds Lean... does it try to nose over when you accelerate hard? Ken krb1945

I read your post again... and I think Scotty is right it also sounds like you have a manifold gasket that could be leaking too.

I ordered the Honda gaskets and when I have time, I'll get a buddy over and we'll replace them...no question that right side has a serious problem...major uncomfortable heat...argh!

boborgera
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Everyone..I am still kinda new to my used Spyder and I was wondering what simple mods can I do to get better gas mileage.

I have stock air filter and exhaust...filled up and drove for 85 miles now I am down to just over 1/3 tank left...

Thanks for any input that I can get.

welcome
You can't get a mileage figure by looking at the fuel gauge .
You have to fill the tank the same way[amount] at least 3 to 4 times, Not easy on the Spyders tank! Then check the miles traveled on each tank.
Bye the way what model /year / transmission type is your Spyder?

scdtrd
06-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi Everyone..I am still kinda new to my used Spyder and I was wondering what simple mods can I do to get better gas mileage.

I have stock air filter and exhaust...filled up and drove for 85 miles now I am down to just over 1/3 tank left...

Thanks for any input that I can get.

Other than nothing, nothing I can think of. :roflblack: