PDA

View Full Version : Rear Storage Compartment Shelf

InspectorGadget
05-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Yet another modification/addition to the RT.
After watching the Youtube video about the rear storage compartment shelf, I decided that this was a good idea I just had to exploit---so I fabricated my own and it works great. I like having items within easy reach---not having to dig down into that cavernous black hole to find small much used item, like my hat and glasses. My travel cover fits nicely under the shelf, along with some other small items.
C-YA RL

Vordak
05-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Well, I'd buy one from you if you were selling...

V.

taggtr
05-28-2010, 07:53 AM
That's awesome! I'll put in an order too please!

frank3
05-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Yea, I need one to. Cut the proper size hole in the center and you could carry Burger King large size drink. I do that now but use towels to hold the drink upright and centered. Love having a cold diet coke when I make a short rest stop during a long trip.

taggtr
05-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Good call Frank! Need two holes on mine.

Sopher
05-28-2010, 09:32 AM
OK, spill the beans... how did you make it? How did you get the template design?

InspectorGadget
05-28-2010, 11:48 AM
OK, spill the beans... how did you make it? How did you get the template design?
It is made from 1/4" luan plywood and 1X2 stiffiners. I designed the pattern using the old cardboard cut & fit method. It took a few tries until I was happy with the way it set, but it works well for me.
Thanks for asking C-YA RL

fastfraser
05-28-2010, 01:13 PM
:2thumbs: Nice job ! Looks well made ! Of course made in the US of A

chris56
06-23-2010, 12:28 AM
1000end thanks to inspector gadget .. i was able to tidy my rear case..
like a spy - he sent me the exact details - had no work just made a copy.. worked perfect..

taggtr
08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
I had to modify the RTS shelf a little. The heat in Tucson, AZ is so hot that the velcro glue melts and the shelf slides down into the rear trunk. Shelf separated at one seam due to the heat, but I can fix with no problem. Just wanted to share what I did with you. Works great!!!!!

canam9
08-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I had to modify the RTS shelf a little. The heat in Tucson, AZ is so hot that the velcro glue melts and the shelf slides down into the rear trunk. Shelf separated at one seam due to the heat, but I can fix with no problem. Just wanted to share what I did with you. Works great!!!!!
I like it alot. I will add this to mine. I was not liking the glue myself. :ani29:

taggtr
08-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I like it alot. I will add this to mine. I was not liking the glue myself. :ani29:

Just a small corner bracket, banged it out a bit with a hammer to get the angle I needed then screwed it in and VOILA! Like $2 and some change at Home Ghetto (Depot).

dancogan
08-04-2010, 07:16 AM
Hmmmm, much easier and simpler than what I was thinking of doing. I like it! :2thumbs:

taggtr
08-04-2010, 08:35 AM
The shelf sits higher this way, gives me more room to put the larger items down below the shelf. I think with larger size corner brackets you can adjust the position that works for you. Thought I saw somewhere on here where someone lined their shelf with felt or something, which was really cool. Gonna do that next!