PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire wear?

Dwight
05-27-2010, 12:23 PM
What kind of rear tire mileage are you guys getting? How about tire pressure? Mine's at 27psi. At 5300 miles the center tread of my tire isn't looking too good. Looking at the tire it looks like it should be wearing on the edges not the center. Normally for center of tire wear you would think too much pressure. Any ideas or are they so soft that this is normal?

Thanks
Dwight

fifty sevn
05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
good question.
my first tyre changed at 15,500km,air at 27psi.center worn ,out side tread ok .second run at 25psi.changed @ 33.500km.thats 18000km.25psi is working for me.hope this helps.might even try a bit lower psi.:2thumbs:
cheers fifty sevn...

syclemom
05-28-2010, 03:15 PM
My wifes lasted 6,000mi. as you said center gone, she has had 2 Trikes before her RTs, and my experience in 100,000mi. + of putting tires on her trikes 28psi. is ridiculous , i installed a Nitto NT450 Extreme performance tire in appropriate size and running the pressure @ 18psi. she now has over 12,000mi. and tire looks like new. I am not sure where the rec. pressures come from? Running 20.5psi. in front, the Nitto seems excellent in rain I believe was $90 to the house from onlinetires.com ,good value. I installed at home tire comes with balance dot , did nothing but mount, align dot ,and I can tell you wife says smooth at 95 mph. good enough for me. Hope this helps.

outdoorallens
05-31-2010, 03:39 PM
My wifes lasted 6,000mi. as you said center gone, she has had 2 Trikes before her RTs, and my experience in 100,000mi. + of putting tires on her trikes 28psi. is ridiculous , i installed a Nitto NT450 Extreme performance tire in appropriate size and running the pressure @ 18psi. she now has over 12,000mi. and tire looks like new. I am not sure where the rec. pressures come from? Running 20.5psi. in front, the Nitto seems excellent in rain I believe was $90 to the house from onlinetires.com ,good value. I installed at home tire comes with balance dot , did nothing but mount, align dot ,and I can tell you wife says smooth at 95 mph. good enough for me. Hope this helps.

Just passed the 6100 mile mark on my Spyder RTS after a 3100 mile journey through British Columbia and Alberta Canada. Noticed the center tread wear on the rear tire you are talking about. Checked into ordering the Nitto NT450 you suggest at onlinetires.com and I agree, a good value. What did you put in for a vehicle type when you ordered? Obviously motorcycles are not listed as a possible choice. Looking forward to getting better tread wear from the new tire! Thanks for the information! :2thumbs:

ThreeWheels
05-31-2010, 04:08 PM
5600 miles at about 23 psi and no wear on the rear tire, but I'm a big fatty so the extra weight probably flattens the tire out.

Dwight
05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
I dropped my psi to 24 and have ridden about 1000 miles. Seems to be wearing on the outside edges now. It looks like this is going to help. I'm about 1/3 of the way on a 2 week vacation so I'll know if it works by the time I'm home.

Dwight

Recluze
05-31-2010, 04:38 PM
I got 15,000 and 18,000 out of BRP tires. The Toyo tire I have on there now is done in 10,000. I don't know what the air pressure is as I rarely check it.

syclemom
05-31-2010, 06:14 PM
I called in my order they didnt ask the vehicle, probably would nt have answered, good luck seems to be a good tire, hint , if you mount yourself as I did I aligned balance dot at valve stem, I did check balance manually it would not repeat so I installed BUT I did not pay attn. when reinstalling the pulley and left spoke on the pulley close to valve stem , just makes checking pressure harder,I am sure there is a logical reason the valve stem isnt on the right side where it would be easy to check. I am running the tire @ 18psi , is not squatted sits flat , this tire has a higher weight rating than the stock tire.