PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

musicarcade
05-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I purchased my :spyder:last July , and, since it was a new type of vehicle and I have limited time/patience/skills, I purchased a service agreement w/ my local service dept. for $1500. This included service for 6 services,
600mi, 3k, 6k, 9k, 12 k and 15K. It also included a battery and unlimited oil changes. I managed to squeeze in and extra oil change at 2k miles since I was heading to TN for the Smokies rally. In any case, after I got my 3k service, the dealership went out of business. However, the dealership in Savannah stated that they would honor HHI motorsports service contracts. This was last Dec., and I was having DPS and steering issues as well. I had the Savannah service center do th 6k service and the warranty work to get the steering right. It took numerous calls to BRP (Carlo) and the service mgr. and THIRTEEN WEEKS to finally get the :spyder: running right and now it's running great:2thumbs:.

However, it's now time for my 9k service. I found out from my neighbor ( who has had his spyder in their shop for several weeks now) that they will no longer work in Spyders and that they lost their Spyder dealership.:yikes:
I called the shop yesterday and spoke to the new service mgr. who said they can still service spyders, as they have the BUDS and do work on other BRP products, but they won't be selling or doing warranty work on Spyders anymore. She checked my file and said that I still have 3 services and a battery on my service contract.

I am planning on going to Chicago for the owners event and want to get my Spyder serviced before the ryde. I am torn on what I should do-

I'd like to get my $$ worth and have Savannah do the service (that I have paid for) - that's a 65 mile trip one way.

Or, I could drive 85 miles one way and have the dealer in Summerville do the service and pay thru the nose- but they have certified (?) techs

A third option is to take it to my local cycle shop that is NOT a Spyder dealer, but has the BUDS because they sell other BRP vehicles. I'm a bit uneasy about this as they have never had a spyder in their shop.

I am leaning at taking the :spyder: to Savannah, since it would not cost me anything but time...

Like I said, the Spyder is running great now- but where to take it? I also want to get the belt tension adjustment done and the sprocket tightening service...

What to do....:sour: what do you folks think??:chat:

BajaRon
05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
If you're just talking about an oil change, any gorilla with a wrench can do that for you and most likely get it right.

Belt tension isn't rocket science and if it's been adjusted correctly it will probalby stay in adjustment until you need a new belt (or tire change).

Beyond that I'm not sure if I'd take it to anyone not authorized to work on a Spyder as you could get hung out if something goes wrong.

musicarcade
05-26-2010, 06:45 PM
If you're just talking about an oil change, any gorilla with a wrench can do that for you and most likely get it right.

Belt tension isn't rocket science and if it's been adjusted correctly it will probalby stay in adjustment until you need a new belt (or tire change).

Beyond that I'm not sure if I'd take it to anyone not authorized to work on a Spyder as you could get hung out if something goes wrong.

Ron,
Your first 2 comments are what makes me think I should take it to Savannah since I've already paid for that service. The third comment is what makes me consider taking it 85 miles to Summerville...:dontknow:

Smylinacha
05-26-2010, 06:58 PM
OK, let me understand....... the dealer who you bought all this service stuff from lost their Spyder contract but they still have the BUDS to do what is left on your contract. Do they still have the techs who worked on your Spyder previously? If so, go there, git er done - since you already paid for it.

Only thing that bugs me is if they don't do service anymore, if something goes wrong, do you get rooked for it?

Firefly
05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Is your service contract a BRP BEST contract???? If so, then it is not dealer specific and ANY BRP Spyder dealer can do the service work (which they bill BRP for).

If you paid for it-- then they have to cover it. Was it a BEST + ????

musicarcade
05-27-2010, 08:14 AM
I don't have a bEST contract- It was a service contract purchased from Hilton Head Motorsport, which closed their doors in December.

The Savannah Shop said they could do the service, but don't do warranty work anymore. I don't know the whole story, but a lot of (I think) has to do with the inordinate amount of time trying to fix/repair dps/steering issues. I believe they charge BRP for the labor used and it's been a lot. Plus, the service mgr. was not doing what BRP had requested as far as getting info to them in a timley manner.. The Service mgr. has quit and there is a woman named Rebecca in his place. She stated to me that they can do the service, but they no longer do warranty work. They still use BUDS as they still sell BRP off road and Ski-doos.

Firefly
05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't have a bEST contract- It was a service contract purchased from Hilton Head Motorsport, which closed their doors in December.

The Savannah Shop said they could do the service, but don't do warranty work anymore. I don't know the whole story, but a lot of (I think) has to do with the inordinate amount of time trying to fix/repair dps/steering issues. I believe they charge BRP for the labor used and it's been a lot. Plus, the service mgr. was not doing what BRP had requested as far as getting info to them in a timley manner.. The Service mgr. has quit and there is a woman named Rebecca in his place. She stated to me that they can do the service, but they no longer do warranty work. They still use BUDS as they still sell BRP off road and Ski-doos.

This just sounds wrong from all sides. Bummer. Time to find (another) new dealer. Not sure what to tell you about the warranty you bought--- you should read the fine print and see who underwrites the thing and contact them about using it elsewhere.

Roger
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM
I dont know how far it is but you can check with dudley at red line motorsports in myrtle beach they are east bound on hwy 501. tell him Roger with the orange spyder from NY sent you.

boborgera
05-27-2010, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE= tell him Roger with the orange spyder from NY sent you.[/QUOTE]

Rog, When they send you the finders fee, At least give half to Musicarcade!:roflblack::yes:

Roger
05-27-2010, 10:48 AM
True.

Tom in NM
05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
. . . . I would take it to Savannah, you have already pre-paid for the service.

If they cannot do the service, I would ask for a pro-rated refund. Maybe, if they cannot do any warranty work that needs to be done, they could transfer your "credit" to another shop in their dealership chain ( if any ) that could do the work. If they cannot do that, maybe they can convert it to a shop credit for riding gear or whatever.

If all you are having done is non-warranty work, I would have them do it. If something pops up - like a cracked coolant reservoir, you could always get the part yourself and have them install it. You have pre-paid for basic service parts and labor. Personally, I would not worry about voiding my warranty in doing it this way.

Tom

SpyderWolf
05-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Wow Tom, I wonder when you are ever going to catch a break. I am also still looking for a new dealer to work with since the closing of HH. I am also in agreement with those that said keep taking it to Savannah to finish out your regular services that you already paid for. You got pretty lucky when they agreed to honor that, so I wouldn't want to let it go to waste. For warranty work, the place in Summerville is huge but I did not see any Spyders when I was there. Hopefully this means they are all out on the road and the techs are getting some good experience working on whatever comes up.

Best of luck, and if you do take it somewhere else please let me know how their service rates. :)

musicarcade
05-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Savannah's rates are $130 an hour:yikes:
Summerville $95- I believe in Summerville they charge an hour even if they go a couple of minutes into the the next hour.
I was charged 4 hours labor for an install/mod and I wasn't there more than 3.5 hrs. He service mgr. then gave me a discount when he realized I hadn't been there 4 hours.nojoke

SpyderWolf
05-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Savannah's rates are $130 an hour:yikes:
Summerville $95- I believe in Summerville they charge an hour even if they go a couple of minutes into the the next hour.
I was charged 4 hours labor for an install/mod and I wasn't there more than 3.5 hrs. He service mgr. then gave me a discount when he realized I hadn't been there 4 hours.nojoke

Sounds like Summerville treated you fairly on the price adjustment. What did you think of the service performed?

The last dealer I went to left a body mounting clip and bolt off my Spyder that I did not find until washing it the next day when I noticed the entire left side of the Spyder could move up and down freely for about 3 inches or so. At least they sent me the bolt and clip in the mail when I contacted them about it.