PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Dwellers: Assure me outside storage is OK

ArmyJoe
05-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm moving to Georgia for 6 months. Every place with a garage is out of my budget or has too many hoops to jump through.

I've been offered half of a really cheap apartment, but that means the Spyder will be outside for 6 months. I will be getting the BRP outside storage cover, but I really hate that my baby will be exposed to the elements and to people.

Tell me it'll be OK. :pray:

Lamonster
05-26-2010, 09:54 AM
:yikes::lecturef_smilie:

Magic Man
05-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Sure it will be OK, and soon we're going to have FREE health care too. :shocked:

Outside storage is tough on anything, even a Spyder.

MM

irataylor
05-26-2010, 10:13 AM
I keep my spyder outside. I use the BRP outside cover. It does a good job protecting from the elements. (No space in garage at the moment, my daughter is getting her masters in japanese in Australia and I am her storage facility).

boborgera
05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Allot of people store their bikes out side, Not every is [add a word here] and has a garage.:D

It really doesn't matter, you have to do what you have to do. What's the alternative,?[sell]
Make sure your insured for fire and theft and added accessories. Some insurance companies charge extra if you store a bike outside.
Be happy don't worry.:ohyea:

BumbleBee
05-26-2010, 11:15 AM
NO NO NO, no way would I park mine outside :lecturef_smilie:. We made room in the garage (tight fit). Husband's Gym used to be in the garage, it is now going into the Family Room (after we clean that room out).

I will park my Van outside and give up the space for my Spyder
anytime :2thumbs:

boborgera
05-26-2010, 11:42 AM
NO NO NO, no way would I park mine outside :lecturef_smilie:. We made room in the garage (tight fit). Husband's Gym used to be in the garage, it is now going into the Family Room (after we clean that room out).

I will park my Van outside and give up the space for my Spyder
anytime :2thumbs:

Your missing the point, GI joe doesn't have a garage , He's looking for some reassurance that it will be OK.. Why doe's every body have to be such a downer ? .:lecturef_smilie:

ntxYguy2009
05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
If you are getting a less expensive option on where to stay... how about renting a garage at one of those storage facilities. If your vehicle is small enough you could store it in there while you are riding your :spyder2:.

Just a thought. The money you saved in rent might help with the storage rental fee. You did not mention if the Spyder is your primary mode of transportation.

David

Ltownblue
05-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Have had my red SM5 since September 2008 and have kept it outside under a BRP outside cover for all but about 6 months - no problems - paint and mechanics are still as good as the day that I bought it. Like someone said, you do what you have to do.

gpthree
05-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Your missing the point, GI joe doesn't have a garage , He's looking for some reassurance that it will be OK.. Why doe's every body have to be such a downer ? .:lecturef_smilie:

Exactly. I don't have a garage. The only other option for me would be to not get the Spyder...and thats not an option at all. :D

I'm not really worried, I figure thats what insurance is for.:dontknow:

ArmyJoe
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
If you are getting a less expensive option on where to stay... how about renting a garage at one of those storage facilities. If your vehicle is small enough you could store it in there while you are riding your :spyder2:.

Just a thought. The money you saved in rent might help with the storage rental fee. You did not mention if the Spyder is your primary mode of transportation.

David

My other vehicle is a crew-cab Chevy Silverado, but I plan to use the Spyder as a daily driver. I can afford off-site storage, but the logistics would be a pain the the butt.

FANG
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Have had my :spyder2: since June 2008 and it has been stored outside under a BRP outdoor cover. I have no garage - no carport. My spyder has done just fine.

I would love to have a garage to keep the spyder in but it si not economically feasible to add a garage to the property at this time.

I guess I could sell the spyder and build a gargage - but then what would I have to put in it? spyder would be gone - no need for garage. :D

Think I will keep the spyder and my outdoor cover. Can't imagine not having the :spyder2:.

Brevet05
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Joe,

I live in quarters on Fort Sam (oops, Joint Base San Antonio) and have no garage in the Texas sun. I don't have a great deal of concern for the theft/vandalism piece because it's essentially a gated community, but the Texas sun is vicious. I've used the BRP outdoor covers the entire time, both for the SM5 and now the RT, and they've been fine. I'm pretty obsessive about covering it after each ride (and then going out 30 minutes later to pull the cover down over the muffler), but I'm curious what all the folks who would never leave their ride outside do with the Spyder. I've had it in many Holiday Inn parking lots under the cover, and many are the times when I've ridden too far to get it back home, even if I had a garage. It's a machine; ride it for the pleasure, clean it for the passion, maintain it for the long haul.

Now if someone wants to increase their taxes and convince the Department of Defense that I need a garage, I'd be eternally grateful...

Brevet05
05-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I guess I could sell the spyder and build a garage - but then what would I have to put in it? spyder would be gone - no need for garage. :D

Sounds like O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi"!

ataDude
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
...because it's essentially a gated community...

:D :yikes:

Brevet05
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
:D :yikes:
nojoke

spyryder
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Are you trailering it there on your 5x8? I'd look at temporarily sheeting your trailer in.....a few sheets of plywood, some 2x2's....hmmm. ;)

IWN2RYD
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Everyone has a personal idea of what "They" would do. And let's be honest. All of them are good ideas.

You will not have any issues. If it is in a tough neighborhood, how would a garage keep them away if they "Wanted" to do something anyway?

We use the travel cover a lot. I own a small business and our RT-S sits all day under a tree. Not one issue, well other than the "Bird" bombers :yikes::roflblack:. Kept my two wheeler the same way for years.. At night, in the garage it goes.

So other than bad stormy days when I do not ride, the garage is really only for the unknown in the night.

As long as you are in a decent area, and realize the chore of taking the cover on and off (Including the needing to rush moments) and your just fine with it 80% of the time, your going to be just fine!

The way I see it, if we go to spend $$$ on anything, the focus of that said item has to be the job it will do 80% of the time without fail, the other 20% will just have to do :ohyea:

As already mentioned, make darn certain your insurance covers what you are not willing to "Self" insure, and call it a day! Trust me on that BTW, I am an asset protection advisor and you would be surprised how often Insurance companies cover less than we thought they should at the time of a claim... They have to cut fat somewhere to get the "Rates" folks want to pay.

SpyderSteve
05-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Have had my :spyder2: since June 2008 and it has been stored outside under a BRP outdoor cover. I have no garage - no carport. My spyder has done just fine.

I would love to have a garage to keep the spyder in but it si not economically feasible to add a garage to the property at this time.

I guess I could sell the spyder and build a gargage - but then what would I have to put in it? spyder would be gone - no need for garage. :D

Think I will keep the spyder and my outdoor cover. Can't imagine not having the :spyder2:. i bought a plastic shed [8' buy 10'] from rona up here in canada for less then then $1000.00 better then leaving it outside

j45p3r
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm not in an apartment but I also don't have a garage at my house. My Spyder lives outside and it's just fine. I figure it's my daily commuter so it's going to sit outside all day anyway at work, what's it gonna hurt to be outside at night? I have the outside storage cover that I put on if it's going to rain.

wildbill6565
05-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Remember the Spyder are not made of sugar! Mine and my wife's Spyder have been outside all their lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Star
05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Thank you for this input. As of now I am Spyderless (still saving my $$$), but I too live in an apartment and have no garage. Glad to know my future Spyder will survive the elements. :spyder:

Gimpy Girl
05-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Just got my scoot, but I've had my Harley outside since I live in an apt- that's going on 5 yrs now. Never had any issue with the Roadking being covered outside, so my guess is your ride should be fine for 6 months. Just be sure to let it cool off before you cover it for the night so you don't get your cover burned on your pipe.

bone crusher
05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm moving to Georgia for 6 months. Every place with a garage is out of my budget or has too many hoops to jump through.

I've been offered half of a really cheap apartment, but that means the Spyder will be outside for 6 months. I will be getting the BRP outside storage cover, but I really hate that my baby will be exposed to the elements and to people.

You're in Georgia...great climate as it's mostly warm there 10 months a year...you should have no problems with the outside cover on it. I lived outside of Atlanta for 4 years many a moon ago...