PDA

View Full Version : Kewl Metal Performance Intake system

412Spyder
05-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Hey everyone, haven't seen a review on the kewl metal performance intake system so i thought i would write one up. I received the package 2 days sooner then expected ( fed ex eta ) which was awesome. Today i installed the filter and all i can say is WOW. My current setup is Two bro's dual exhaust, Juice Box, NGK Iridium plugs, and Kewl Metal Performance intake. The installation was not bad at all, even with me not having all the correct tools needed i was still able to do it fine. When i first received the intake the packaging was nice and neat, came with all stickers ( K&N, Uni ) and colored instructions which helped a lot, a business card with matts & joe's numbers. I also watched matt's video on youtube so i had a heads up on installing it. The install of the new filter would have taken about 30 min ( if i didnt run into problems ). The screw that holds down the top plate was going into the bottom plate hole incorrectly and i cross threaded the hole. After taking the plate off i noticed that the threads had some powder coat on them. I took the plate back off and flipped it upside down, ran the screw through the plate and the threads were fine after many turns in and out. After having to take the top plate on and off today 3 times i can tell that getting the screw lined up is going to be a task in itself, so the next time i have it out for cleaning im going to take a tap and run it through the hole to make sure there is no more paint in it and just be sure the threads are clean. Other then that hold up this thing is sweet. Like i said with the two bro's dual ( which we all know are pretty loud ) i can still hear the intake, sometimes its louder then the exhaust which doesn't bother me. I was running the bike with multiple settings tonight trying to find what works best. I did a WOT 2nd gear pull and it deff got my attention as i felt myself slide back on the seat.... i wasn't expecting it to have the acceleration that it did. All in all I would recommend this to anyone who is thinking about it, Get it and you will not be disappointed. I had the two bros duals, juicebox, and plugs in before i installed this, and i feel this deff gave me alot more power. Also called matt 2 times during the install to ask a few questions, he was very helpful and very fast at getting back to me.... These guys built a quality product. Below i included a pic of the final product, im sure a lot of you have already seen it before but for those that haven't here it is! :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=821&pictureid=9802

xpeschon
05-26-2010, 02:42 AM
Well thats good news cause I had the dealer order one a couple of weeks ago and he called to inform me that its in and ready for install.. I am just going to have them do the install so no worries on my end.. I am running the Hindle only, I have no juice box but I do have a set of the NGK Iridium plugs I'm gonna install the same day... So thats good news that you like it, we have a great dealership here and after a discussion on a little performance upgraded I ended up having them order this and also to add to it he order a new front sprocket,, this one will have one less tooth on it so top end speed verses RPM ratio show be a bit better,, Maybe a bit slower at take off but thats fine with me, I was in the market to try and keep them RPM's down a bit when driving 80 or so and this should do that..

Thanks for the write up on the Intake--I'm excited to get mine installed now, as for the whole NOISE thing, so you can hear it pretty good hah??? Yah gotta love it right??

Joe
(X)

PS: I have installed a catch canister on the original air-cleaner,, Question: I'm thinking I can now get rid of that with this system,, Your thoughts on this one since you have installed it??

Lamonster
05-26-2010, 05:53 AM
I am running the Hindle only, I have no juice box but I do have a set of the NGK Iridium plugs

PS: I have installed a catch canister on the original air-cleaner,, Question: I'm thinking I can now get rid of that with this system,, Your thoughts on this one since you have installed it??
You need to order a Juice Box too Bro. You'll be running lean for sure without it.

I have the same kit that I picked up on my trip and will be installing it soon to check it out. I'm going to keep my catch can where it is I think but you could run it either way, just plug the hole.

412Spyder
05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the write up on the Intake--I'm excited to get mine installed now, as for the whole NOISE thing, so you can hear it pretty good hah??? Yah gotta love it right??

Joe
(X)

PS: I have installed a catch canister on the original air-cleaner,, Question: I'm thinking I can now get rid of that with this system,, Your thoughts on this one since you have installed it??[/QUOTE]

On the noise note, yeah i can hear it and im 60% deff with high pitches noises so things like the intake, turbo's spooling etc i dont hear and i hear this thing and thats over my two bros dual exhaust which is pretty loud. The noise though is awesome... ive been messing with import cars since ive been 16 and thats a sound ive grown to love.

About the catch canister im actually putting one on my bike within the next few days i just got the uni foam the other day and gonna head to pepboys to get my filter.... ive had my bike apart and together so many times in the last few days i just wanna ride lol.

Like lamont said you deff will want a juice box... if you dont want to mess with your bike have the dealership tune it for you if they have the ability... everyone in my area can do with but dont have a dyno to fit the spyder :gaah:

i hope you like your filter man it will deff add an increase in power for you!

Campverdefela
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
I am running the Hindle only, I have no juice box but I do have a set of the NGK Iridium plugs

You may want to invest in the 02 modifier if nothing else.

ozzie
05-31-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey everyone, haven't seen a review on the kewl metal performance intake system so i thought i would write one up. I received the package 2 days sooner then expected ( fed ex eta ) which was awesome. Today i installed the filter and all i can say is WOW. My current setup is Two bro's dual exhaust, Juice Box, NGK Iridium plugs, and Kewl Metal Performance intake.

i have this same setup - what are your juicebox setting? mine are - .5,6,6,7,1,2 i havent adjusted since i installed the kewl metal performance intake. should i? or are these setting good?

412Spyder
05-31-2010, 11:43 PM
i have this same setup - what are your juicebox setting? mine are - .5,6,6,7,1,2 i havent adjusted since i installed the kewl metal performance intake. should i? or are these setting good?

I am actually running the same numbers as yourself, except i am 5-4, 6-2..... i thought it was running well... the dealer is going to tune it for me on the 7th, so im going to know how off i was. My bike runs awesome when it is fully working.... im getting sputtering from 1k up to 8k rpms in all gears. This only happened 2 times within 200 miles. Ill let you know the final numbers after I get it back.

Also on another note....does your intake sound really really loud ( kinda like something is rattling up to 5k and then it gets quieter. I was doing a test on the highway in 5th gear i can run anywhere from 1,500 - 5,200 rpm range and hear this loud rattling noise, and as soon as i hit the 5,300 area it goes away. Kinda sounds like my old civic si hitting vtec but in reverse it loud in the lower rpms and quiet in the high.

ozzie
06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Also on another note....does your intake sound really really loud ( kinda like something is rattling up to 5k and then it gets quieter. I was doing a test on the highway in 5th gear i can run anywhere from 1,500 - 5,200 rpm range and hear this loud rattling noise, and as soon as i hit the 5,300 area it goes away. Kinda sounds like my old civic si hitting vtec but in reverse it loud in the lower rpms and quiet in the high.

My intake sounds a little louder, some knocking at low RPMS. But nothing like you describe. I don’t really notice it over the two bothers exhaust. :chat:

xpeschon
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
I am actually running the same numbers as yourself, except i am 5-4, 6-2..... i thought it was running well... the dealer is going to tune it for me on the 7th, so im going to know how off i was. My bike runs awesome when it is fully working.... im getting sputtering from 1k up to 8k rpms in all gears. This only happened 2 times within 200 miles. Ill let you know the final numbers after I get it back.

I had the dealer install mine and I believe you did your own install,,,Look here, did you take off that bracket on the Right side (as you sit on the spyder)? Mine had a rattle to it as well, it ended up being that bracket that has a larger Black rubber mount on top, the bracket is mounted to the engine with 2 bolts,, I put the bolts back into where there belong in the motor but took the bracket it out.. Hope that clears it up,, if you did infact take the bracket off not sure what it is..

Joe

DougB
01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
You need to order a Juice Box too Bro. You'll be running lean for sure without it.

I have the same kit that I picked up on my trip and will be installing it soon to check it out. I'm going to keep my catch can where it is I think but you could run it either way, just plug the hole.

Lamont, I had a Juice Box Pro on my 2010 RT. When at Cowtown getting new plugs and wires I was told I was running too rich. I had the box set at 1 and the old plugs were sooty. Was advised to remove the box by Ricky. He said the RT's don't need it as the stock controller compensates for my TBR pipe and Green filter. So, a few weeks ago I removed it. What's your thought? My JB Pro is for sale. $100.00. Was also told the RT model will work on RS's and they have need for it while the RT's don't.

blambert
01-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I also installed the Kewl metal - only challenge was getting all the Tupperware, rest of install went real well. Sounds great, I also have a power commander and hindle exhaust - I can feel the extra HP especially at the low end.