PDA

View Full Version : Windshield replacement Question

MySpyder
05-25-2010, 09:33 PM
I just got a Can-am BRP OEM Spyder Ultrasport Windshield and i want to install it. but the thing is is that i heard about peoples windshields cracking.
i got metal washers and metal screws. should i use them or rubber ones. who tight would i tighten them or does it even matter.

Tilty
05-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I used the rubber washers witrh the metal bolts. snug the bolts and then a 1/4 turn.

thats all i do i take mine on and off a couple times a week and never had a crack

Odie
05-26-2010, 01:06 AM
I just got a Can-am BRP OEM Spyder Ultrasport Windshield and i want to install it. but the thing is is that i heard about peoples windshields cracking.
i got metal washers and metal screws. should i use them or rubber ones. who tight would i tighten them or does it even matter.
Something I didn't do the first time resulted in stress cracks. Press the windshiled in the middle to fan it out so when you do tighten the screws the washers and bolt don't force the WS to spread. I tightened the bolts and did not press in the middle of the WS and that made uneven pressure on the WS creating stress cracks. By pressing in the middle of the windshield it allows the WS to be flat against the front console so when you do tighten the bolts it does not put uneven pressure. Just tighten the bolts until they stop and maybe use a little thread lock. :thumbup:
p.s. rubber washers are a bad idea IMO.

412Spyder
05-26-2010, 01:51 AM
I installed my windshield with the existing bolts and rubberish washers that came with the oem one. My OEM shield was trashed so i just took a flat head to the rubber circle rings that were pressed on it and they came right off with a little pry. If you are worried about scratching the windshield try a laminated move rental card, electrical tape on a thing screw driver, or anything like that. I got all the bolts in first and then tighten them as needed. I used the screw driver supplied in the tool kit and i didn't get any cracks, i snugged them up and then just a little more to make sure the wind wouldn't make it vibrate. good luck man i love the looks of that windshield.

MySpyder
05-27-2010, 12:26 PM
ok thanx everyone ill put it on tonight.:2thumbs: