PDA

View Full Version : Me So Horny

InspectorGadget
05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
I got your attention just like my new horn will :clap:
I just shoehorned a Stebel Nautilus Compact black into the same spot the factory horn was. NOT an easy task, but I wanted it to be hidden and use the same wiring.
I had to fabricate a bracket, mounting it on the same bolt location as the original horn, and it was plug-N-play using the same wire. The factory horn was protected by a 20A fuse, and the air horn requires the same, so that worked out well.
I nipped out a little larger hole in the air intake scoop so the horn could project the sound down and out without restriction.
The whole project took 3 hours as the whole front end had to come off. The left fog light assembly was removed for better access.
It was easy once I saw what needed to be removed. It just takes patience, especially when re-assembling it as all of the tabs must be lined up before the rivets are replaced.
The new horn is much louder to alert those cagers, and it has that nice European dual tone sound as it is made in Italy.
A nice mod to be sure. C-YA RL

Vordak
05-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Pictures?

V.

Donzo
05-26-2010, 09:50 AM
I put a Stebel on my GS last year - it definately gets peoples attention! About 2X louder than stock :yikes::D

IWN2RYD
05-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks for this post! I just ordered one with the locking bolt off fleabay. Now not only will we be seen, but heard :2thumbs:

InspectorGadget
05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Pictures?

V.
I was having such a good time fabricating, and adjusting the bracket, I forgot to take any photos.
If I have to take the skins off again, I will take and post some.
Thanks for asking.
C-YA RL

dave711
05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
I was thinking of putting on a better horn (the oem is so pissy) ... Just wondered about the pain of getting to it... Got the heel shifter installed last week and working great. The install took awhile as I snapped the head off one of the screws... had to drill it out and use 1/4 20 ss bolt instead. looks good.

PS.. how long did it take you to install the backrest... mine should be here next month..

Dave

InspectorGadget
05-26-2010, 04:16 PM
I was thinking of putting on a better horn (the oem is so pissy) ... Just wondered about the pain of getting to it... Got the heel shifter installed last week and working great. The install took awhile as I snapped the head off one of the screws... had to drill it out and use 1/4 20 ss bolt instead. looks good.

PS.. how long did it take you to install the backrest... mine should be here next month..

Dave
Dave,
It took me 1 hour start to finish and it would have been less, but I had a hard time getting the seat back on. You have to have patience, and after installing the bolts from underneath, tighten them from the top. :2thumbs:
Contact me if you have any questions spyderrt@yahoo.com
C-YA RL

ThreeWheels
09-24-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm getting the DPS upgrade on Monday. Since the whole front end has to come off for that, I'm going to get the air horn installed at the same time.
I didn't get a Nautilus. I got a Wolo Bad Boy which is exactly the same as the Stebel Nautilus, it's even made by Stebel and rebranded by Wolo.
$39.95 from AutoZone online and you don't pay taxes if you use store pickup. Go figure.................

Rider Steve
09-24-2010, 07:37 PM
here's one for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdhKYZj_OLI

Rider Steve
09-24-2010, 07:43 PM
here's another one... this ones loud!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W62KfqTPjM

clueless
09-24-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm getting the DPS upgrade on Monday. Since the whole front end has to come off for that, I'm going to get the air horn installed at the same time.
I didn't get a Nautilus. I got a Wolo Bad Boy which is exactly the same as the Stebel Nautilus, it's even made by Stebel and rebranded by Wolo.
$39.95 from AutoZone online and you don't pay taxes if you use store pickup. Go figure.................

the Wolo doesnt have the same rating output as the Nautilus even though same mfg. they make different models ... if you look at the packaging db output it is less on the Wolo Bad Boy. still louder then stock :2thumbs:

ThreeWheels
09-25-2010, 01:54 AM
the Wolo doesnt have the same rating output as the Nautilus even though same mfg. they make different models ... if you look at the packaging db output it is less on the Wolo Bad Boy. still louder then stock :2thumbs:

I've installed both and they are identical, even down to the "Made In Italy" stamp.

From webBikeWorld motorcycle horn review.

From David .G., one of the authors of this article (8/08): "It might be helpful to point out on the horn home page that the Wolo Bad Boy (http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm) and the Nautilus are one in the same. A buddy bought a Wolo and the only difference between the two is the name on the Nautilus diaphragm cap versus a sticker on the Bad Boy. Since they are physically identical in every other regard and the design is patented, I presume they are one in the same but didn't have the Wolo packaging material to see if it had European sourcing.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

canam9
09-25-2010, 02:36 PM
:2thumbs: :ani29:

jwhatman
09-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Hubby and I decided I needed a stebel too. I overheated my horn the other day when riding with hubby. His side bag on his bike came open while doing 70mph. This is the one time we didn't wear the intercom, figures! Anyway I was behind him, honking for the life of me when the horn stopped honking, so I gunned it, plenty of power still, and pulled up along side him to get him to pullover and close the lid. He had his factory radio blasting on his Victory, while I have to suffer with my ipod and ear plugs. Oh well, he is spoiled. Anyway, no damage to the side bag, we were both shocked. But my horn still would not work when we got home. We checked all the fuses,etc. but nothing. So now it's a stebel for me, that or an airhorn, which would get his attention over the blasting radio?

clueless
09-26-2010, 11:41 AM
the stebel is an airhorn all in one package...

the standard air horn separate with compressor I have heard are not as robust. a trike owner told me the air horn diapram goes once every other year on her air horns...

@ ThreeWheels = Yes they are MADE by same company but they are rated different outputs.

(not sure how the Wolo can be d 21 db quieter). Maybe they are measuring from different distances. but I would think they would be the same distance...

Wolo is saying 118 db (http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm)
Stebel is saying 139 db (http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/)

from the last link :
Keep this in mind: sound energy doubles for every 3 points you go up in the decibel scale. It means that the Stebel Nautilus horn, which produces 139 dB of sound, puts out a LOT more sound than these popular horns:
- 800% of the sound energy of the more expensive 130dB FIAMM Freeway Blaster (http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/horn-relay/motorcycle-horn-relay.htm);
- 600% louder than the $140, 130 dB Pro Pad Mini Beast horn;
- 650% louder than the $179, 128dB Rivco dual trumpet horn.

mooneych
09-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Which horn is recommended as a direct swap for an RS? Thanks!

Bob Denman
09-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Clueless, Thanks for the link... I was just going to mount a monkey with a shotgun in the front trunk... this'll draw less attention at least until the button gets leaned on! :shocked: :roflblack:

retread
09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Which horn is recommended as a direct swap for an RS? Thanks!
Don't think there are any direct swaps, the Stebel comes really close, but requires some cutting to fit well, and you'll have to build a mount for it. I mounted mine on the frame tab behind the fuse box, drill a hole and it works. Positap into the horn wires for the relay and you've got the stock and air horns working together. Atadude has some pics of his installation.
Aerostich sells the air horn for 37 bucks, the relay and wiring kit for 12.

john

ataDude
09-28-2010, 11:54 AM
... Atadude has some pics of his installation.
Aerostich sells the air horn for 37 bucks, the relay and wiring kit for 12.

john

Click here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53577&postcount=81

InspectorGadget
09-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Click here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=53577&postcount=81

Your link shows the horn on an RS---I thought we were talking about an RT here.
I did have to fabricate a bracket, (no body cutting or fitting required to fit the horn, I did cut some plastic to allow the sound to escape better) but it installed in the same location (it was tight) as the original and plugged up to the same leads.
I have not had a problem with it in the last 4700 miles, and according to my wife the horn should be worn out as many times as I activate it.:D
C-YA RL

vtspyder
10-09-2010, 05:55 PM
here's another one... this ones loud!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W62KfqTPjM

That is so friggin' funny my face hurts from laughing! The 2 people waiting for the bus on the bench didn't even jump. Probably because they were too high on the funny stuff. :bowdown:

cjackg
01-12-2011, 12:38 AM
I just shoehorned a Stebel Nautilus Compact black into the same spot the factory horn was. NOT an easy task, but I wanted it to be hidden and use the same wiring.
I had to fabricate a bracket, mounting it on the same bolt location as the original horn, and it was plug-N-play using the same wire. The factory horn was protected by a 20A fuse, and the air horn requires the same, so that worked out well.
I nipped out a little larger hole in the air intake scoop so the horn could project the sound down and out without restriction.
The whole project took 3 hours as the whole front end had to come off. The left fog light assembly was removed for better access.
It was easy once I saw what needed to be removed. It just takes patience, especially when re-assembling it as all of the tabs must be lined up before the rivets are replaced.
The new horn is much louder to alert those cagers, and it has that nice European dual tone sound as it is made in Italy.
A nice mod to be sure. C-YA RL

RL, Sounds like you did'nt use the relay that comes with the Stebel. Did you just connect directly to the existing 2-wire 20amp connection used for the stock horn ? Has this worked ok since installed?
I am concerned about the fine print wording on my Stebel instructions... "This horn uses almost 20 amps of power. Most factory horns are designed for much less power. If you install this horn without a heavy-duty wiring kit & 20a fuse, you will destroy your existing horn switch and may ignite your wiring."

I am about to do the same install on my RT and appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Jack

InspectorGadget
01-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Jack,
So Far everything is working fine and no smoking wires :D
I think there have been a few others that followed my lead with no adverse effects. Go for it.
C-YA RL

Littlebadwolf
01-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Mine was dealer installed and they ran a separate 20A wire/fuse for it.