PDA

View Full Version : Deals Gap

mclaw44
05-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I have got a friend here at work that is making a trip to NC on there HD. There plan is to make a stop at Deals Gap. We are still hearing rumors that the Dragon is still closed due the rock slides. Can anyone confirm this rumor or what's up? Thanks in advance!

Jornie1
05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Here's the website for the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Store and Resort... http://www.dealsgap.com/index.html
There's a notice on their site saying the Dragon is open on a limited basis until the rock slide on US129 is cleaned up.... Len

I have got a friend here at work that is making a trip to NC on there HD. There plan is to make a stop at Deals Gap. We are still hearing rumors that the Dragon is still closed due the rock slides. Can anyone confirm this rumor or what's up? Thanks in advance!

ThreeWheels
05-25-2010, 11:57 AM

You can do the Dragon but it's essentially a closed road. You enter from the North Carolina side and continue until the road is blocked by the police. You turn around and then go back out the way you came.
It's still a fun ride.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/video.php?do=viewdetails&videoid=154

Hamie
05-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Saw a black RT leaving the dragon on the 15th....

WackyDan
05-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll be on it in two weeks!

Bootie
05-25-2010, 11:26 PM
I was there last week. True, you enter and exit the Dragon from the NC side. If you start at Deal's Gap, you can still get 11 miles in. The road is blocked and guarded about 2 1/2 miles up from the slide (you cannot see the slide from the barricade). The run was not too crowded, especially during the week. Weekends are a little worse. The road is only open from 8AM to 8PM but it was alot of fun:2thumbs:
The other roads like the Cherohala Skyway are open, ready and waiting.
Go for it!:f_spider:

cdem0229
05-27-2010, 02:50 PM
My wife and I are on our way back from the dragon. As of Monday it is open from the south about 11 miles. It is only open from 0800-2000. You can run it up and turn around at the last big overlook is what we did. TN Troopers are still watching it close. They said you can go 39mph. Hit 40 or over and you will get a ticket.

Chuck