PDA

View Full Version : limp home again !!??*&*###

paneinglass
05-25-2010, 11:09 AM
:cus: I bought my rt-s about a month ago and have been stranded 3-times now. Trailered back to my dealer again this morning.They already replaced the cluster, I don't trust my spyder, to get very far from home now. Big bummer. I'll see what they say this time.

Jornie1
05-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm right there with you man.... I love my RT... My wife loves hers as well...But, with only 620 miles on mine, because of a serious clutch problem, I had to summons my dealer to come to my home, and pick it up on a trailer and "haul it in". As I type this, it's still in the shop, heading into 2 weeks... I see lots of folks on here that haven't had serious problems "YET"... Several who have... Scotty is a perfect example. I have a burning desire to do some long range cruising. Kim & I are chafing at the bit to get out there and go far...Here comes the big "BUT???" But I'm starting to get a little nervous about being in the middle of no-where and have a "haul it in" event. Not that we don't have roadside assistance, but a 7-10 day unplanned stay in no-where'sville... not much fun. These machines, "RT's" are really new on the scene. None of us have had them very long. I do have high expectations, however, you can tell that a measure of nervousness has set into our cruising plans... We'll see... Len

:cus: I bought my rt-s about a month ago and have been stranded 3-times now. Trailered back to my dealer again this morning.They already replaced the cluster, I don't trust my spyder, to get very far from home now. Big bummer. I'll see what they say this time.

2manycars
05-25-2010, 02:00 PM
I think the clutch back-order situation is resolved. That is my understanding anyway. I have been riding my RT-S with only infrequent issues, but also do not want to go too far until I know the SE clutch bearings have been changed, I hope by weeks end my dealer calls to tell me the parts are in.

Then I get to discuss why they will not pick up my machine for the repair-time will tell.

Jornie1
05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
My clutch problem is entirely different from the SE5 problems. My machine is an SM5. The problem is with a damaged clutch shaft and bushing that wouldn't let the clutch completely disengage. Good luck with your clutch fix and your dealer as well. My dealer has been phenomenal through this entire episode. They have been excellent in every department from the first time I walked through the door up to and including today. Sun Sports Cycle and Watercraft in Ft. Myers, FL is without a doubt, in my mind, the best dealer of any kind I have ever dealt with and I'm not a young feller by any strecth, ... Len

I think the clutch back-order situation is resolved. That is my understanding anyway. I have been riding my RT-S with only infrequent issues, but also do not want to go too far until I know the SE clutch bearings have been changed, I hope by weeks end my dealer calls to tell me the parts are in.

Then I get to discuss why they will not pick up my machine for the repair-time will tell.

05-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey pane. How does limp mode start for you? I have discovered that if I start 2333 in neutral without pulling in the clutch, I get limp mode. The bike will start as usual, but go straight into limp mode. A long shot, but I thought I would throw it out there.

paneinglass
05-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey pane. How does limp mode start for you? I have discovered that if I start 2333 in neutral without pulling in the clutch, I get limp mode. The bike will start as usual, but go straight into limp mode. A long shot, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I Always start it in gear with my clutch engaged. It started right after my 600 mile service. Luckily it only has happened in the mornings, at my house instead of out on the road somewhere. My dealer is very simpathetic and truly wants to remedy the situation, but can't seem to find the cause. Any ideas are helpful, thanks.

Bootie
05-27-2010, 01:43 PM
I Always start it in gear with my clutch engaged. It started right after my 600 mile service. Luckily it only has happened in the mornings, at my house instead of out on the road somewhere. My dealer is very simpathetic and truly wants to remedy the situation, but can't seem to find the cause. Any ideas are helpful, thanks.
I think the problem is with the EOP (Engine Oil Pressure) Switch. You need to find out what the fault code is. You can determine this by pressing the two top buttons on the left-hand control (mode and set) and simultaneously press the left turn signal. If the code is P0524 then you have the same problem that the rest of us have. The problem seems to be that the EOP Switch doesn't switch fast enough and the computer generates the error code and puts you into the limp mode. Changing out the EOP Switch seems to take care of the problem. Your dealer can do this and can also measure the oil pressure and make sure it is up to snuff.

paneinglass
05-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I think the problem is with the EOP (Engine Oil Pressure) Switch. You need to find out what the fault code is. You can determine this by pressing the two top buttons on the left-hand control (mode and set) and simultaneously press the left turn signal. If the code is P0524 then you have the same problem that the rest of us have. The problem seems to be that the EOP Switch doesn't switch fast enough and the computer generates the error code and puts you into the limp mode. Changing out the EOP Switch seems to take care of the problem. Your dealer can do this and can also measure the oil pressure and make sure it is up to snuff.

Thanks for the info, I will give that a try if the limp mode happens again. My dealer said when they changed the cluster that some of the downloads didn't take. I appreciate the info and will pass it on to my dealer as well. Your diagnosis sounds better than theirs. Thanks again,
Dan

paneinglass
05-31-2010, 04:51 PM

I had just got my bike home again and sure enough in a few days I had the limp home light again (4th time):gaah:. I checked the error code and sure enough it is p0524. I will trailer my bike in again tomorrow and see why they didn't check that. Thanks bootie , for the info:2thumbs:. Great site here to get helpful information. Regards,
Dan