PDA

View Full Version : Spyder cover?

Dragonrider
05-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Anyone tried to use a low cost small car cover for their Spyder for road trips?? Don't want one of the thick/heavy space wasters - nor is it worth $150… but perhaps something for a VW or similar?? I have a decent windshield and bags on her…...

Anytime I'm away from it, I almost always come back to find some jerk sitting on it, or fooling with the switches. I even went to the dealer to pick it up after a service, to find a couple sitting on it, pretending to ride it (dealer's stock was 0) - I still haven't finished raising *((&(* about that.

wyliec
05-24-2010, 11:56 PM
You may want to check out the nelson rigg 1/2 cover.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18837&highlight=half+cover

SpyderGirl
05-25-2010, 12:03 AM
The smallest car cover will be bigger than a full cover for the Spyder. Try the half cover.

SpyderWolf
05-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Someone posted on here just the other day that the XL Vinyl Motorcycle Cover available at WalMart works just fine. They said it is around $20 or so, and that means you can easily replace it each year if you need to. I have not seen one personally, but it might be worth a shot.

I have the Nelson-Rigg half cover, and posted a review about it here:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18837

Hope that helps.

SpyderGirl
05-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Someone posted on here just the other day that the XL Vinyl Motorcycle Cover available at WalMart works just fine. They said it is around $20 or so, and that means you can easily replace it each year if you need to. I have not seen one personally, but it might be worth a shot.

I have the Nelson-Rigg half cover, and posted a review about it here:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18837

Hope that helps.

The XL motorcycle cover works good and I have a tall windshield and Corbin saddlebags and it even fits around those, just not over the front fenders unless you really stretch it.

Dragonrider
05-25-2010, 09:49 AM
I have a couple of XL covers from my Valk, and they didn't cover both the GIVI bags & frunk. I also have a cover from an old DS650, which covers everything but the frunk -- guess I'll have to adjust my expectations to what I have.. :dontknow:

BRPjunkie
05-25-2010, 09:57 AM
I guess different companies have slightly different covers. The XL I have covers everything. I have Givi side case and Givi shield and the nylon covers everything including the trunk and the fenders.

M2Wild
05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I find that only time I need a inside cover is during winter storage. But then that is the time I take the Spyder apart to make mods. So the cover is not on it most of the time (maybe in the future when I stop modding it). During riding season it gets parked inside and no cover is needed unless I take it somewhere and it will spend multiple days outside with dewy morning or rain. Half cover will be nice because its smaller and can be packed within the Spyder.:doorag:

Dragonrider
05-25-2010, 10:42 AM
I do the same - but use one of Lamont's sun covers at work - however, I never leave any bike uncovered in a motel parking lot at night. I want to keep curious backsides and hands off my ride, unless I invite them.

If I find one that works, I'll post it here, so others can partake....

vtrider
05-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I recently purchased the Nelson Rigg Half cover and find it to be very convenient. I ride to work in the early morning hours and put the cover on the spyder while it is parked outside in the parking lot all day. This keeps the morning dew off, as well as UV rays from the sun and also protects it from the rain. The cover is designed to fit with the standard windshield and foot pegs. I have the ISCI floor boards, so I had to modify the way the cover is held in place. I use 18" bungee cords on both sides and hook them on the passenger foot peg brackets, through the cover loops and hook the other end to one of the empty holes on the front of the floor board mounting brackets. This works great! This application should also work if you have a taller windshield and some place on the lower part of the spyder to hook the bungee cords. The cover comes with a handy storage pouch that you can store the cover in when it is not being used and can be stored in the trunk, or in saddle bags or rear trunk if you have them on your spyder. These are a few pics of the cover. I purchased it from www.newenough.com (http://www.newenough.com)

The cover is a half cover, so it won't cover the entire spyder, but it will keep the vital areas clean and protected.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/My%20Spyder%20upgrades/NewmodsJayrideMay2010002.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/My%20Spyder%20upgrades/NewmodsJayrideMay2010003.jpg

This is the way I attached the cover using the bungee cords. The cover loops were designed to hook to the foot pegs in the standard location. With the ISCI floor boards, the foot pegs are removed and the loops wouldn't work with that configuration. I find that the bungee cords work real well to attach the cover in place. This application should also work with taller windshields where the loops wouldn't reach the foot pegs.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/My%20Spyder%20upgrades/NewmodsJayrideMay2010004.jpg

Dragonrider
05-25-2010, 07:23 PM
VTRIDER - your Spyder looks strikingly like mine - I have a Hindle and Evz swaybar…. I use the suncover Lamont found for $12ish last summer as a day cover. Since the DS650 cover covers everything except the frunk - I've decided to use it on my upcoming trip. I'll post some pics later.. You know RED is the fastest color……. :D

vtrider
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
VTRIDER - your Spyder looks strikingly like mine - I have a Hindle and Evz swaybar…. I use the suncover Lamont found for $12ish last summer as a day cover. Since the DS650 cover covers everything except the frunk - I've decided to use it on my upcoming trip. I'll post some pics later.. You know RED is the fastest color……. :D

The FAST RED is also a magnet for the "LEO's" :lecturef_smilie:

Yeh, I've done many upgrades this spring to get my spyder where it is. It was costly to do all the addons, but I wanted it done. So far I'm happy with it.

gjco
05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I bought the biggest Can-AM four wheeler cover. After the cover is on you cant see the spyder at all, it covers the wheels all the way to the ground.

Dragonrider
05-26-2010, 10:59 PM
OK, the attached pic shows my dilemma. (OK, so one's a show off pic of my Spyder… :p )

nelsonriggusa
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Lookin GOOD VTRIDER!! :thumbup:

VaughnCat
06-04-2010, 02:04 PM
The FAST RED is also a magnet for the "LEO's" :lecturef_smilie:

We just found that out! everytime I take it around town, there's a LEO following me . . .

I use the suncover Lamont found for $12ish last summer
Haven't heard about that one . . . Where can I find it???

Cat

FANG
06-04-2010, 04:18 PM
We just found that out! everytime I take it around town, there's a LEO following me . . .

Haven't heard about that one . . . Where can I find it???

Cat

it is called a cool-shade or maybe spelled kool-shade - not waterproof but does keep the sun off. goes on quik and comes off easy.