PDA

View Full Version : New Brake Pads at 54,600 Miles

WaltH
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
I replaced all of my brake pads at 54,600 miles, but this would have been unnecessary if I did not have a warped brake rotor on the right front. The pads themselves were good for many more miles.

We have floating rotors on the Spyder, just like the Harleys. These are easily damaged and prone to warping. I was not surprised at all that I had a warped rotor at this kind of mileage. The right front was seriously warped. The left front was only slightly warped (not necessary to change). When you change a rotor you must change the pads. BRP says the pads for both front wheels must be changed at the same time. Since I was required to change the pads on the left front, I decided to change the rotor as well. I changed two rotors and four pads on the front. The rear rotor and pads were just fine, but I changed the pads just to get this issue locked up for the next 50,000 miles (one year).

The new pads came with about 9.5mm of thickness. BRP says 5.5mm is the required minimum. The old pads that I discarded had a pretty much uniform thickness of 8.5mm. Obviously, I had a lot more miles to go on the old pads. I try to avoid riding in town because there are so many dangerous old people on the road (unlike me – age 73);). I do most of my cruising out where there are more cows than people. A lot of my miles are on long distance rides where there isn’t much stop-and-go traffic. My riding doesn’t require a lot of braking.

I would like to get the brake fluid changed, but I don’t have a good place to go. This requires a connection to BUD’s. I don’t want to be the first customer for this procedure on the technician’s learning curve. I have been there and done that many times.

SpyderWolf
05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the info. It is very helpful for us to have ryders like yourself that can give us information about the longevity of the parts on our Spyders. :thumbup:

Firefly
05-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Good info... thanks for sharing. So you've never changed your brake fluid yet?

Did you stick with the BRP pads and rotors or switch to EBC ???

WaltH
05-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Good info... thanks for sharing. So you've never changed your brake fluid yet?

Did you stick with the BRP pads and rotors or switch to EBC ???

I used second generation BRP brake pads and rotors (2009 part numbers). I have yet to change the brake fluid, but it is time. The Spyder is one year old.

How many labor hours were you charged for the fluid change?

docdoru
05-25-2010, 04:31 AM
How many labor hours were you charged for the fluid change?
4 hrs...

Vordak
05-25-2010, 07:30 AM
One year old and you want to change the brake fluid?

I haven't done brake fluid in years, on any bike. I only do it if I expose the system to air.

My 2 cents...

V.

NancysToy
05-25-2010, 07:45 AM
One year old and you want to change the brake fluid?

I haven't done brake fluid in years, on any bike. I only do it if I expose the system to air.

My 2 cents...

V.
I tend to agree, but the manufacturer calls for replacement of both the clutch and brake fluids every 12,000 miles or two years. If you have a related issue, like corrosion of caliper pistons, be aware that your warranty will probably not cover these repairs if you did not adhere to the schedule.

Fortunately, most of my relics have mechanical systems, and I don't have this worry. On the old Honda hydraulic systems, this was crucial, however. They corroded just because the weatherman predicted high humidity! :D

Firefly
05-25-2010, 08:18 AM
4 hrs...

4 hours !

That sounds excessive for just changing the brake fluid.

Any one figure a way to do it yet without having to hook up to BUDDS ??

sabunim5
05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I would like to get the brake fluid changed, but I don’t have a good place to go. This requires a connection to BUD’s. I don’t want to be the first customer for this procedure on the technician’s learning curve. I have been there and done that many times.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at this post. nojoke
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15748

Firefly
05-25-2010, 01:28 PM
I would like to get the brake fluid changed, but I don’t have a good place to go. This requires a connection to BUD’s. I don’t want to be the first customer for this procedure on the technician’s learning curve. I have been there and done that many times.

Take a look at this post. nojoke
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15748[/QUOTE]

Cool... thanks for the info...... I'll do mine myself then!

Have you done your clutch as well?

sabunim5
05-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I have replaced the fluid in the clutch also. That was even easier as there is no way you can upset the Nanny. A good brake bleeder kit is a plus, but I bet you have one of those, or know how to make one using a jar and some tubing so air can't get in the line(s). :2thumbs: