PDA

View Full Version : Rear, side compartment latch PROBLEM

frank3
05-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Don't know if anyone has had this problem but---Month or two back, had key problem with rear compartments. Bottom line, dealer had to dis assemble rear tupperwear to remove cyl and reset cyl correctly. Now, I've had the right rear compartment come open twice while ridding. Don't know if the problem is connected to the cyl removal. Last time, it had been latched for several days without being unlatched and after about 60 miles it came open on me while ridding at 70 MPH on a good surface road with no pot holes. Have over 2,000 mile on the RT now and hate to make a trip all the way back to dealer for it. I have pulled the tuperware off the rear and watched the latch cables work. Looks like they are slow to retract when the latch is released. Sprayed the end of the cable housing with slicone but dosn't seem to have helped. Anyone else having this problem?:dontknow:

3Ryder
05-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Don't know if anyone has had this problem but---Month or two back, had key problem with rear compartments. Bottom line, dealer had to dis assemble rear tupperwear to remove cyl and reset cyl correctly. Now, I've had the right rear compartment come open twice while ridding. Don't know if the problem is connected to the cyl removal. Last time, it had been latched for several days without being unlatched and after about 60 miles it came open on me while ridding at 70 MPH on a good surface road with no pot holes. Have over 2,000 mile on the RT now and hate to make a trip all the way back to dealer for it. I have pulled the tuperware off the rear and watched the latch cables work. Looks like they are slow to retract when the latch is released. Sprayed the end of the cable housing with slicone but dosn't seem to have helped. Anyone else having this problem?:dontknow:

The cables can be seen and adjusted in the area hidden behind the rear panel that wraps around the rear cargo trunk. Each cable has an adjustment fitting that will shorten or lengthen the cable. You might try fiddling with the adjustment until you feel that the compartment will open when the latch is pulled, but secure when closed. Just a thought...