PDA

View Full Version : The Steering Issue, Some Observations...

Latemarch
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
1. It doesn't affect many Spyders.
2. When affected Spyders get their DPS unit replaced, the new unit seems to have a high failure rate as reported by BUDS requiring the order of another unit.
3. These two observations are at odds with each other.

Either the factory that produces the DPS is putting out a lot of bad units in which case item 1 should be higher, of if not then number 2 should be lower.

I got to thinking about this last night after yesterday on the freeway at 70mph I had the steering stick for the first time. It didn't stick much. I was making a lane change from left to right and I felt a slight resistance that was easy to overcome but resulted in a small "dart" within my lane. When it happened my first thought was "Aw crap, it's the steering bug!" So I was expecting the "break thru" and didn't over correct. It only happened once and refused to be induced again. :gaah: Don't you just hate intermittent problems!

While I don't mind having the DPS replaced, I'm wondering if rather than the DPS its the Can-Buss environment that's the problem. Maybe DPS units come from the factory with differing sensitivity to noise on the buss. And Spyders have different inherent noise levels on the buss. Otherwise why would so many people who have had the unit replaced report that the dealer had to order a second unit after the first replacement unit from the factory was defective? I'm thinking that these are the inherently buss noisy Spyders that as they age finally get to the point that the DPS unit becomes affected by the noise level. This is because the buss noise level on the Spyder has risen with age.

Is this the symptom of another part in the Can-Buss that's going bad and the DPS just happens to be the most sensitive unit on the buss and thus the first to go "bad"?

Why does this thing engage at speed when it's supposed to be off?

Is it the VSS that's mistakenly engaging and not the DPS? I wish that this thing had a VSS light that lit when the VSS was actively intervening like in my Toyota.

Why are some Spyders fixed by replacing the relays? Are the relays part of the buss?

Why are some Spyders fixed by replacing the steering torque sensor?

Boy, would I like to have a sit down discussion with the engineers that are working on this problem to see what they've found out so far.

Mine's a 2008 with ~4000mi. Only electrical mod is a direct connection to the battery for Aux power for heated vest and connection to trickle charge the battery, a Triple Play unit for the tail lights and mud flap lights. The battery connections are solid and battery voltage is good though at 2 years maybe it's time for a new battery :dontknow:
Might try replacing the relays. Will check fuse connections.
Intend to just watch it for now. It was so easy to steer thru. I've had turbulence from trucks and wind gusts that were worse.

Don't need to hear the advise to trailer to the dealer and report it to NHSTA.
I think those warnings and advise are on every steering thread so far.

boborgera
05-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Why does this thing engage at speed when it's supposed to be off?

Why are some Spyders fixed by replacing the relays? Are the relays part of the buss?

Why are some Spyders fixed by replacing the steering torque sensor?

Only the ''Shadow'' knows.:roflblack: