PDA

View Full Version : Non Genuine Trailer

SPIIDR
05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Hello can anyone help.

I am from Australia and owner of an RT and can't get my head around spending $7000 AU for the Spyder trailer as i already have one. I have been told by my Dealer that BRP will not warranty the RT Spyder if you tow a non genuine trailer the only trailer they will allow you to tow is the BRP trailer. Does anyone out there tow a non BRP trailer and has it affected the performance of the RT as in ABS and the ESP. :helpsmilie:

DeeKay53
05-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Have you got a tow bar yet. I am still waiting on word from BRP as to when and if they will be avaliable in Oz. I also have a classic trailer and don't want to buy a BRP one. Can't see how they can stop any warranty issues when there are so may other after market things you can add to you Spyder. As long as the trailer is road worthy all should be good!!!!

SPIIDR
05-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi Danny

Found out that Classic Trailers have come out with a tow bar for the RT and placed an order on one last week $426.00 delivered. you might want to look them up. I think that BRP is trying to push their own product by using scare tactics.

NancysToy
05-24-2010, 06:56 AM
I can't speak to how the warranty laws work in Oz, but here in the US that would not be the case unless it could be shown that the non-standard trailer caused the failure. I see no reason why you should have an issue as long as you stayed within the weight limitations in the Spyder manual. You already have a dealer dead set aginst you, however, so you would have an uphill battle...unless you have a law similar to our Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

fencepost
05-24-2010, 08:57 AM
:agree:with Scotty

retired1
05-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Spiidr:
In the U.S, the hitch for the RT is not the problem. The only way to get the necessarry bike wiring harness is to buy the BRP hitch. The harness has a part# but is not serviced separately. At least that's the way it was when I had my hich installed. Good luck.

SPIIDR
05-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Thank you guys will keep my own trailer and will fit aftermarket hitch to the RT as the BRP hicth wirring comes with a 9 pin round plug and my trailer has a 7 pin flat plug and and the dealer here is telling me that it will be hard work to find an adaptor to fit a 7 pin flat plug

NancysToy
05-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Thank you guys will keep my own trailer and will fit aftermarket hitch to the RT as the BRP hicth wirring comes with a 9 pin round plug and my trailer has a 7 pin flat plug and and the dealer here is telling me that it will be hard work to find an adaptor to fit a 7 pin flat plug
I bought the BRP Trailer Tongue Harness P/N 710002029, and built my own adapter. There was also a previous post by Lawrenc454 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17652&highlight=trailer+connector) that gave information that may help you source a matching connector.

namknight
05-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I know that the BRP trailer has a stange looking wire connector on it Looks almost like a 220 volt plug. So I would assume that their hitch would not match up to another trailer. They want $500. for a hitch sans labor I am guessing.

NancysToy
05-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I know that the BRP trailer has a stange looking wire connector on it Looks almost like a 220 volt plug. So I would assume that their hitch would not match up to another trailer. They want $500. for a hitch sans labor I am guessing.
The hitch will match, the wiring harness will not. An adapter is required for an alternate trailer because the RT wiring harness has the connector integral with the trailer module (which isolates and powers the trailer lights) . Since this connector cannot be changed, an adapter would be necessary.

DeeKay53
05-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Ordered a Tow Bar from Classic on the 24th April and received it on the 27th April and installed it on the 28th April. It took me and a mate ,(Fozzy), about 5 hours. There was a bit of fiddling around with brackets etc. I found a place to tap into the wiring loom and all works well. One thing I had to do was change the lights on the trailer over to LED as the Spyder dosn't like the globe type. Draws to many amps or something and comes up with brake failure mode. Anyway, I saved over $700 by going non BRP.

NancysToy
05-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Ordered a Tow Bar from Classic on the 24th April and received it on the 27th April and installed it on the 28th April. It took me and a mate ,(Fozzy), about 5 hours. There was a bit of fiddling around with brackets etc. I found a place to tap into the wiring loom and all works well. One thing I had to do was change the lights on the trailer over to LED as the Spyder dosn't like the globe type. Draws to many amps or something and comes up with brake failure mode. Anyway, I saved over $700 by going non BRP.
Yep, the extra current draw is why the RT harness has an integral powered converter module. The LED lamps are a good alternative. Glad to hear they worked. Sometimes, with clearance lights added to the mix, there can still be too much draw with LEDs for some vehicles. Glad to hear they work OK on the Spyder. Nice job!

SPIIDR
05-30-2010, 08:19 PM

Just recieved my Classic Trailer Tow bar and will fit it to the RT today my trailer already comes with LED lights so i hope that i dont have any probllems. Well wish me luck! :2thumbs:

SPIIDR
06-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Just fitted the tow bar on the RT (Classic Trailer) today took ages to fit but worth it hooked up the trailer and no problems with the LED lights looks great if only i knew how to load photos on this thread i would do it. Could someone help me on how it is done. Thanks for the advise i think i made the right choice going with the Classic Trailer tow bar :firstplace:

NorthStar
06-01-2010, 10:54 AM
When you want to post a reply, or start a new thread with an attached picture just scroll down on your screen and you will notice "additional options" . Once there, click on "Manage Attachments"; When the new window opens click on " Choose File"; Select the file from the appropriate library on you computer and then click on " Upload". Once that is done simply close the Manage Attachments window and you are done.

Note: There is a file size limit.

Hope this helps.

M

NancysToy
06-01-2010, 12:03 PM
When you want to post a reply, or start a new thread with an attached picture just scroll down on your screen and you will notice "additional options" . Once there, click on "Manage Attachments"; When the new window opens click on " Choose File"; Select the file from the appropriate library on you computer and then click on " Upload". Once that is done simply close the Manage Attachments window and you are done.

Note: There is a file size limit.

Hope this helps.

M
The other way is to add the pictures to your album (or another online picure gallery), then copy the image code displayed at the bottom of the picture page, and paste it into your post.

Lamonster
06-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Just fitted the tow bar on the RT (Classic Trailer) today took ages to fit but worth it hooked up the trailer and no problems with the LED lights looks great if only i knew how to load photos on this thread i would do it. Could someone help me on how it is done. Thanks for the advise i think i made the right choice going with the Classic Trailer tow bar :firstplace:
How to videos on using this board (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8044)

SPIIDR
06-01-2010, 10:54 PM
How to videos on using this board (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8044)
Thanks Lamonster and Scotty will post the pictures soon stay tuned.

DeeKay53
06-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Here is a pic of my new Tow Bar from Classic Industries Australia Pty Ltd. www.classicind.com.au

SPIIDR
06-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Here is a pic of my new Tow Bar from Classic Industries Australia Pty Ltd. www.classicind.com.au (http://www.classicind.com.au)

Looks great mate same same as mine going away next weekend with trailer will post some pics