PDA

View Full Version : New member

bill pitman
05-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I'd like to introduce myself,Bill and my wife Gretchen.

I picked up a new 2009 Spyder GS on 5/10/10. It is quite different going from my V-rod to the Spyder, but I'm learning. Over the past 2 weeks I've looked over this forum and have actually looked at all 50+ pages of shop talk. I like to know the problems and remedies people have had with these machines.

I've seen and spoken to member "Roger" when at the Chatterbox bike night this last Thursday.

I've had the 600 mile service done this past Friday and several issues are being addressed:

OIL level- why is it that people seem to want to overfill this? It's really not rocket science in reading and understanding how to properly check it.

Vibration in grips- belt update helped a little, BRP bar ends helped a little, but my right hand still tingles after 20 minutes riding. I plan on getting 4" ISCI risers(may order today), to help with my position, as maybe it's not just right and there is too much weight on my wrists/arms. Grip puppies/new better gel grips maybe. Some sort of throttle lock.

tires feathering- inside edge of each front tire is feathering a little. Toe adjustment? dealer says front end looks OK. Well at least it's documented! Have been running 15-15.5 psi in fronts and 28 in rear. May experiment w/ pressures.
Shock settings- 4 front, 7 rear and feels good.

I bought this bike so that Gretchen can ride , when she wants. She and I were not comfortable on 2 wheels.

Thanks for listening,
Bill

BumbleBee
05-23-2010, 01:05 PM
welcome:congrats: Enjoy your new ryde and ryde safe.

retread
05-23-2010, 01:20 PM
:congrats:welcome:ohyea:been riding 55 years, this is more fun than most I've had.
The feathering tires, they're toed out, need to be brought in.
I never fill the oil tank above half way on the dipstick, works okay for me.
I've got ESI 4" risers, filled the lower section of the bars with BBs, cheap and effective, Grip Puppies help.
Enjoy, ryde safe.

john

SpyderWolf
05-23-2010, 01:29 PM
welcome

Most times the dealer will just add how ever much oil the manual states, sometimes a little more to be on the safe side I think. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but on this Rotax engine we get the oil blow by into the air box if it is too full. It is not rocket science, but even with mine half way between the add and full marks, I still get oil in the air box at times. I have not bothered doing any mods for that, and am not sure if I will or not at this point.

As for the grip vibration, since you are coming off a V-Rod there is a chance you are still holding the grips on the Spyder tighter than you really need to. I have found if I grip them tightly my right hand will start to tingle after a while as well. You may want to look at getting a CrampBuster. I use one and believe it is one of the best things I have ever bought for $11 or so. It allows you to rest your right hand a whole lot more and helps out a lot.

I would bump up your front tire air pressure to 18 PSI and see what kind of a difference that makes as well. Many on here run the fronts at 20 and the rear at 30, and report good results.

Have fun and ryde safe!

Red Recluse
05-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Where do you get the cramp buster? Sound like what I need. :D

1VENOM
05-23-2010, 03:50 PM
Yes :congrats: and welcome. We look forward to hearing from you often. For your grips you may want to try these, http://www.crampbuster.com/.

boborgera
05-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Where do you get the cramp buster? Sound like what I need. :D

www.crampbuster.com (http://www.crampbuster.com). Been using one for years.
Also most Motorcycle dealers sell them.

boborgera
05-23-2010, 03:54 PM

I picked up a new 2009 Spyder GS on 5/10/10. It is quite different going from my V-rod to the Spyder, but I'm learning. Over the past 2 weeks I've looked over this forum and have actually looked at all 50+ pages of shop talk. I like to know the problems and remedies people have had with these machines.

I've seen and spoken to member "Roger" when at the Chatterbox bike night this last Thursday.

I've had the 600 mile service done this past Friday and several issues are being addressed:

OIL level- why is it that people seem to want to overfill this? It's really not rocket science in reading and understanding how to properly check it.

Vibration in grips- belt update helped a little, BRP bar ends helped a little, but my right hand still tingles after 20 minutes riding. I plan on getting 4" ISCI risers(may order today), to help with my position, as maybe it's not just right and there is too much weight on my wrists/arms. Grip puppies/new better gel grips maybe. Some sort of throttle lock.

tires feathering- inside edge of each front tire is feathering a little. Toe adjustment? dealer says front end looks OK. Well at least it's documented! Have been running 15-15.5 psi in fronts and 28 in rear. May experiment w/ pressures.

I bought this bike so that Gretchen can ride , when she wants. She and I were not comfortable on 2 wheels.

Thanks for listening,
Bill

welcomeDid you get your Spyder at Rusty's?

effgjamis
05-23-2010, 06:03 PM
:2thumbs::spyder::spyder2:welcome You will kine the 4" risers. I have them and would not do without.

FANG
05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
welcome :ohyea: :ohyea::yes::yes:

Roger
05-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Thanks for listening,
Bill
Bill it was very nice talking to you and Gretchen i think i will be their next thursday if you have any questions also their is a fix for the tire wear my dealer is aware of it yours should be to if not they should call brp or another dealer for the fix.

Wheeler~
05-23-2010, 08:55 PM
:congrats: and welcome to a family of the best people around!!!! Enjoy! :2thumbs:

retired1
05-24-2010, 09:45 AM
:congrats: and welcome. You have just joined a family of helpful, knowledgeable and informed bike owners who are more than willing to share their knowledge and state their opinions.:chat:
Enjoy the ride!

Lamonster
05-24-2010, 09:49 AM
welcome:ohyea:

ntxYguy2009
05-24-2010, 10:00 AM
welcome and :congrats: on your new :spyder2:!

David

Badasz
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
welcome enjoy your new :spyder: :ohyea:

tajohn
05-27-2010, 06:17 PM
welcome and:congrats: on your new :spyder2:

:yes:

COOLMACHINE
05-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Hello Bill. As far as risers go, you may want to check out the following link. It is from one of our sponsors on this site. If I were going to purchase a riser, I would definitely go with these.

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/produc...roducts_id=456 (http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=456)