PDA

View Full Version : Spyder ramps... Unemployed edition.

WackyDan
05-22-2010, 11:31 PM
I made these a while back out of a couple of treated 2x10's I had laying around.

I would probably make them a bit differently if I had to do it again, but these are working pretty good as is. There is enough surface area that the spyder tires are all fully sitting on the boards. One change I would make is to have the lower board on the front ramps run longer FORWARD of the Spyder to eliminate concern of tipping/rocking forward.. though they haven't shown to want to do that. Just make sure your parking brake is working enough to hold the bike firm.

Getting the Spyder up on them is actually pretty easy. The rear ramp is only two boards thick and it actually puts the oil tank at perfect level that way, though I still check the oil with my spyder planted firmly on my driveway.

Cost? NADA... had the screws.. had the wood.

Of course, these don't help you if you need to take the full weight off the front suspension or swing arm.

http://snailbarf.com/spyder/stands.jpg

malditoron
05-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I Like it ! :2thumbs:

Firefly
05-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Good job...:thumbup:

You should sell them on E-bay for $99.95.....just like the trunk-spring guy....:roflblack:

dlittle
05-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Good job...:thumbup:

You should sell them on E-bay for $99.95.....just like the trunk-spring guy....:roflblack:

Considering at one point, I know someone who purchased an "unbreakable hanger" for $5. When it arrived, it was a big nail. She was a little upset but too embarrassed to return it.

NancysToy
05-23-2010, 05:43 AM
Good job. I might suggest adding another piece of wood at the front, sticking up a bit, to act as a wheel stop. Easier to find where to quit and avoid disaster that way.

bruceofthebronx
05-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Gonna make some today, longer and will go 4 up. Someday when I met you, I'll buy you a beer (root). Thanks.

j45p3r
05-23-2010, 06:49 AM
I built a set of those also (out of 2x6s) and they worked fine also. I've since bought a motorcycle jack and there ain't no goin' back!

bruceofthebronx
05-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Do you still have enough room to do an oil change with the jack under the Spyder?

Firefly
05-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Do you still have enough room to do an oil change with the jack under the Spyder?

I use an ATV lift from Sears and can lift on the center frame from either side of the bike---- so no problems with oil changes.:thumbup:

WackyDan
05-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Good job. I might suggest adding another piece of wood at the front, sticking up a bit, to act as a wheel stop. Easier to find where to quit and avoid disaster that way.

Yup... already thought of that. Believe it or not, the first time I used them, Spyder did roll off them, no harm done. Parking brake wasn't holding well then.

Plan is.. that these are temporary until I have an ATV lift. I can get Spyder up in air with floor jack and jack stands if I need to.

SpyderWolf
05-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Igenuity at work. :2thumbs:

I am currently using a set of the plastic car ramps, until I can get an ATV lift, but I actually like your set up more.

bruceofthebronx
05-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Igenuity at work. :2thumbs:

I am currently using a set of the plastic car ramps, until I can get an ATV lift, but I actually like your set up more.
Did you ever find the 155 spring for the trunk? If not, PM where you want it sent, I've got an extra.

PAPA G
05-23-2010, 12:55 PM
I made these a while back out of a couple of treated 2x10's I had laying around.

I would probably make them a bit differently if I had to do it again, but these are working pretty good as is. There is enough surface area that the spyder tires are all fully sitting on the boards. One change I would make is to have the lower board on the front ramps run longer FORWARD of the Spyder to eliminate concern of tipping/rocking forward.. though they haven't shown to want to do that. Just make sure your parking brake is working enough to hold the bike firm.

Getting the Spyder up on them is actually pretty easy. The rear ramp is only two boards thick and it actually puts the oil tank at perfect level that way, though I still check the oil with my spyder planted firmly on my driveway.

Cost? NADA... had the screws.. had the wood.

Of course, these don't help you if you need to take the full weight off the front suspension or swing arm.

http://snailbarf.com/spyder/stands.jpg

nice delta joiner 6or 8in.:clap:

SpyderWolf
05-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Did you ever find the 155 spring for the trunk? If not, PM where you want it sent, I've got an extra.

Thanks for the offer. I did not find them anywhere near me yet, but Roger is going to be sending me a couple this week. :thumbup:

WackyDan
05-23-2010, 01:33 PM
nice delta joiner 6or 8in.:clap:

A rookie 6". I want a 10", but that will have to wait. The 6" does what I need it to for the size wood projects I work on currently.