PDA

View Full Version : magnetic Oil Plug - Shaving on Strainer. Picture.

WackyDan
05-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Anyone think I need to worry about that metal sliver on my crankcase drain plug?

Other than the normal small amount silver mush on it, that was the only solid metal. I also pulled my oil tank strainer, and found nothing solid there.

So.. Verdict? I'm taking a trip in two weeks!

http://snailbarf.com/spyder/plug.jpg

NancysToy
05-23-2010, 05:32 AM
The magnet is doing what it is supposed to do. Looks like a stray machining shaving. These normally come out by the first oil change, but not always. I would not fret over this. If it was an obvious piece of a gear, or something, I might worry, but not over a single shaving.

krb1945
05-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree with Scotty... looks like left over machining shavings. If you were to cut open your first oil filter and search the media you would probably find a number of machine shaving particles in it. Seeing this should reinforce the need for using the magnetic oil drain plug. Ken krb1945

WackyDan
05-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks! This is the 3rd oil change since new. I'll be putting enough miles on this coming month to do another one, so we'll see.

BajaRon
05-23-2010, 04:41 PM
I agree with everyone here! (A very rare occasion!)

If you had a lot of small, fine metal to go with it I might be concerned. But with one big piece like that I'd say it's a machined bit that has been hanging on somewhere by the skin of it's teeth and finally let go.

It's a good thing it was ferrous!

I wouldn't be concerned.

musicarcade
05-23-2010, 04:49 PM
and a belated Happy anniversary on having your :spyder2: for over a year now!

scudrunner
05-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Back in a previous life, we usually didn't worry about shavings on the detector plugs (helicopter turbine engines were kind of important) unless you could read the serial numbers off the metal pieces. Slivers, ok. Chunks, no.