PDA

View Full Version : Oil Tank Strainer.

WackyDan
05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
This was posted somewhat in the past so I decided to post again with a bit more info.

Well, with over 6000 miles on the Spyder I believe it was time to pull the strainer and check it for debris.

It is either a 25mm or 26mm nut, but I used a 1" box wrench to remove.

I pulled it, and didn't find any debris on it. I removed the O ring temporarily so that I could blast the strainer with solvent to make sure it was free of oil, and blast any debris away. I used carb and choke cleaner.

The O ring...Calls for a new one. I didn't have one. It is part #705500271 "Joint Torique *O-Ring". Incidentally, that is the same O ring as the oil fill cap/dip stick. I should have swapped them as the dip stick ring is never under the same amount of torque or heat as the strainer O ring. Oh well, something to remember anyway.

The O ring on my strainer seemed to be in decent shape at first, but while putting it back on I noticed some cracking on the skin of the O ring. Not terrible, but it just means I'll keep my eye on it for now and order a couple for kicks. The strainer calls for 15 foot pounds of torque, but it was easy to figure out it was tight enough as it essentially bottoms out when tight enough.

You'll also need a new clamp for the hose.

http://snailbarf.com/spyder/strainer.jpg

Firefly
05-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Did mine recently too.... just used a regular worm hose clamp on it.

My o-ring needed replacement.... as well as the one on the dipstick.

Good parts to have extras of laying around.

burg650
05-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Is this one of the things that should be done at the 6000 mile services?

NancysToy
05-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Is this one of the things that should be done at the 6000 mile services?
The manual specifies that it be done at the 600 mile service, then every 12,000 miles or every two years. Doesn't hurt to do it more often.

WackyDan
05-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Doesn't hurt to do it more often.

Indeed. Assuming that they did it at 600 miles anyway. I'll probably pull it next oil change just to put the new O ring on it. Really surprised at the condition of it after 6000 miles.

SpyderWolf
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Great post, thanks for sharing that with us.