PDA

View Full Version : Newbie thinking about picking one up

thomas91169
05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Been looking at these for a while. I rode a older 95 Ninja EX500 for a bit but wasnt too into riding, loved the feel but dont know if it was just a crappy bike (had issues), crappy drivers, but it just seemed kinda pointless at the time to own one.

Now I commute 35-40min to work, and would like to get something great on gas, comfortable, easy to ride (not needing a license is a plus), will wake me up in the morning/keep me awake on the ride home, and something a little different than everyones R6/CBR/etc. Also can be driven in light weather, we dont get heavy rains much here in the valley.

Only cons im seeing is the price. IMO its really hard to justify even $10k+ for a used one with a couple thousand on it. I guess my question to you guys is:

1) Is it worth it? Especially when you can get used 2 wheelers for $4-5k...
2) How does it handle? Comparable to low end bikes/mid to high end cars? Im big into corners, less about straight line. Do like freeway jaunts, but more often im driving my current Spyder (98 Eclipse GST Spyder that is) top down through mountain roads of CA and loving it.
3) Mods.....readily available? I dont see much out there, filters, pipes and such. Some turbo kit that can bump it to 140whp, but im also seeing theres Aprilla internals that can do the same without needing boost......
4) Reliability?

jabba11
05-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Been looking at these for a while. I rode a older 95 Ninja EX500 for a bit but wasnt too into riding, loved the feel but dont know if it was just a crappy bike (had issues), crappy drivers, but it just seemed kinda pointless at the time to own one.

Now I commute 35-40min to work, and would like to get something great on gas, comfortable, easy to ride (not needing a license is a plus), will wake me up in the morning/keep me awake on the ride home, and something a little different than everyones R6/CBR/etc. Also can be driven in light weather, we dont get heavy rains much here in the valley.

Only cons im seeing is the price. IMO its really hard to justify even $10k+ for a used one with a couple thousand on it. I guess my question to you guys is:

2) How does it handle? Comparable to low end bikes/mid to high end cars? Im big into corners, less about straight line. Do like freeway jaunts, but more often im driving my current Spyder (98 Eclipse GST Spyder that is) top down through mountain roads of CA and loving it.
3) Mods.....readily available? I dont see much out there, filters, pipes and such. Some turbo kit that can bump it to 140whp, but im also seeing theres Aprilla internals that can do the same without needing boost......
4) Reliability?

You seem to be a little all over the place..you want something easy to ride but you like the twisties etc and want to 'bump it" with a turbo kit? Gas mileage...this aint it compared to 2 wheels my wifes focus get 35mpg my spyder averages 29. "is it worth it" it is if you want one bad enough and getting a used one can be a pretty good deal, but lets not compare it to a used 4000.00 two wheeler it is much more than that for sure. mods ar what they are its a new machine and if you are wrench handy they are out there. if you aint a wrench i wouldnt reccommend modding it much though at least in my experience. Most guys unless they arent worried about shop time or money that I know mod their bikes extensively are wrencehs and enjoy it. This thing is VERY computerized and fiddling with it too much in myopinion can be a excercise in futility. Its better in rain if you ask me by far than a two wheeler but takes more effort to drive. its not at all like a two wheeler cept you are in the wind. Its a blast in the corners but two wheels will beat you most of the time. I have had moine for 8 months and alomst 6000 miles and no probelms at all. Just a feel here but I dont think this bike is for you......and i wouldnt say that unless i really beleived it

canchess
05-21-2010, 08:13 PM
:agree:

thomas91169
05-21-2010, 09:19 PM
You seem to be a little all over the place..you want something easy to ride but you like the twisties etc and want to 'bump it" with a turbo kit? Gas mileage...this aint it compared to 2 wheels my wifes focus get 35mpg my spyder averages 29. "is it worth it" it is if you want one bad enough and getting a used one can be a pretty good deal, but lets not compare it to a used 4000.00 two wheeler it is much more than that for sure. mods ar what they are its a new machine and if you are wrench handy they are out there. if you aint a wrench i wouldnt reccommend modding it much though at least in my experience. Most guys unless they arent worried about shop time or money that I know mod their bikes extensively are wrencehs and enjoy it. This thing is VERY computerized and fiddling with it too much in myopinion can be a excercise in futility. Its better in rain if you ask me by far than a two wheeler but takes more effort to drive. its not at all like a two wheeler cept you are in the wind. Its a blast in the corners but two wheels will beat you most of the time. I have had moine for 8 months and alomst 6000 miles and no probelms at all. Just a feel here but I dont think this bike is for you......and i wouldnt say that unless i really beleived it

I never liked 2 wheels for twisties, never felt "planted" or secure like I do with 4, then again, that was a crappy bike with issues. Sat on my first Spyder about 2 yrs ago at a car show, felt amazing.

Im a great wrencher, been a DSM guy (turbo eclipse/talon/lasers), know how to wrench better than most mechanics know how to BS about fixes to issues that dont exist or take two seconds to fix. Been doing my own tuning via DSMlink and also dabbled in Mustangs for a bit (had a 03 Cobra for a few years as well). My 95 EX500 spent a good time getting rebuilt but in the end it was just too far gone to spend more on it.

That mileage scares me away if I were to use it solely as a DD, though my Eclipse is supposed to get 25-30 and it gets 20-25 if I have a tailwind on the freeway doing 65. Really id like to rely on it more than my current spyder, as its pretty stock and im looking to take it off the road a bit and do some real mods to it (big turbo, awd swap, etc), and keep miles off it as well.

Turbo kitting the CanAm was just pure speculation; if that ever came to fruition it would mean the Eclipse would either be completed (so, years down the road) or sidelined/relegated to DD duties if i really really liked the CanAm that much better. However installing such a kit would be childs play compared to the stuff ive done (its much easier when they give you all the parts and theres no fab work from scratch involved......and instructions to boot!) and looks like a pretty nice kit.

I dont know what direction i would take the bike if/when i did get it, it all depends on a bunch of things, which is why a blanket post like this is so awesome! Maybe id love it just for daily driving; its quick, comfortable, stable, etc. Then again i might get it and after a week go "man, thats so awesome, i want more!" like i always do and go from there. I usually try to keep things stock but so far everything ive ever owned has been modified in some way, shape or form. Just dont like knowing someone else might have the same stuff as me......

bone crusher
05-21-2010, 09:36 PM
I never liked 2 wheels for twisties, never felt "planted" or secure like I do with 4, then again, that was a crappy bike with issues. Sat on my first Spyder about 2 yrs ago at a car show, felt amazing.

Im a great wrencher, been a DSM guy (turbo eclipse/talon/lasers), know how to wrench better than most mechanics know how to BS about fixes to issues that dont exist or take two seconds to fix. Been doing my own tuning via DSMlink and also dabbled in Mustangs for a bit (had a 03 Cobra for a few years as well). My 95 EX500 spent a good time getting rebuilt but in the end it was just too far gone to spend more on it.

That mileage scares me away if I were to use it solely as a DD, though my Eclipse is supposed to get 25-30 and it gets 20-25 if I have a tailwind on the freeway doing 65. Really id like to rely on it more than my current spyder, as its pretty stock and im looking to take it off the road a bit and do some real mods to it (big turbo, awd swap, etc), and keep miles off it as well.

Turbo kitting the CanAm was just pure speculation; if that ever came to fruition it would mean the Eclipse would either be completed (so, years down the road) or sidelined/relegated to DD duties if i really really liked the CanAm that much better. However installing such a kit would be childs play compared to the stuff ive done (its much easier when they give you all the parts and theres no fab work from scratch involved......and instructions to boot!) and looks like a pretty nice kit.

I dont know what direction i would take the bike if/when i did get it, it all depends on a bunch of things, which is why a blanket post like this is so awesome! Maybe id love it just for daily driving; its quick, comfortable, stable, etc. Then again i might get it and after a week go "man, thats so awesome, i want more!" like i always do and go from there. I usually try to keep things stock but so far everything ive ever owned has been modified in some way, shape or form. Just dont like knowing someone else might have the same stuff as me......

How can you say you usually try to keep everything stock when everything you've owned you've modified? :hun::hun:

murphybrown
05-21-2010, 10:13 PM

4) Reliability?

Not a "winner" on MPG's.
Is it worth it? For me and my $$...ABSOLUTELY...but you are the only one that can decide if it is worth it for you.
DL endorsement for trike required in my state.
Compare to: This is a Spyder...I don't compare it to anything. It is unique, wonderful, fun and a blast to ride. But so was my horse!!!
I don't do any wrenching...so no mods.

Not sure what you are wanting, but my opinion is that you have wants that only you can answer for yourself. For me, I feel in love with the Spyder and that was all it took for me to make my decision to buy.

NancysToy
05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Best thing you can do is take a test ride...or two...or three. You are the only one you have to please. We can't speak to your desires or tastes...only our own.

Tom in NM
05-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Tom, you sound like you know what you like - good advice from all above.

Take as many demo rides as you can and see if it works for you.

This is Spyderlovers.com - so the majority of us really enjoy our Spyders ( that should not be a surprise ). There are things that all of us would change, but I guess it is love, because we all ride with smiles on our faces. We do have our resident bashers, trolls, opportunists, and some that seem to be totally irrational that chime in from time to time, but the majority here ride ( for lots of different personal reasons ) and truly love it.

You would be hard pressed to come up with the one thing that 75% of us would change - I would even guess that there is not one thing that would get a 50% majority vote.

But, it may not be for you. There are a lot of people who have opted out of ownership or just don't ride as much as they thought they would.

It can get to be costly - but that is up to you. I forget who, but someone used to have a signature on this forum that basically said, "Just pay me the cost of the mods I have done and I will give you my Spyder." Yup, you could get a Spyder for $4K, and still end up with an expenditure of 10 times that.

Performance? Reliability? Prestige? Fun? Those are all things you will have to measure and decide for yourself. Those are things that most of us here have found that the Spyder ( the first one, second one - or third one ) provide.

Your opinion may be different. That is something you will have to work out for yourself. I've owned my Spyder for over a year - and like the other owners here, there have been literally hundreds of people who talk about getting a Spyder - in parking lots, gas stations, stores, scenic overlooks, parks - everywhere! But for as many reasons, they don't. Having one, I find that puzzling, cause it is the most fun I have had on any number of wheels.

I hope you are able to work it out and find what you are looking for. It is a big world and it could always use a few more smiles in it.

Tom
( the one with a Spyder )

thomas91169
05-21-2010, 11:40 PM
How can you say you usually try to keep everything stock when everything you've owned you've modified? :hun::hun:

Thats the usual premise, though it never happens.

I even mod airsoft guns with UV LED's so when you run UV reactive bb's at night you get awesome tracer fire. Why? I dunno, one day i was bored, bought some LED's and went to work. Now we play huge 10v10 matches about once a month, its like real life modern warfare.

I modded my Guitar Hero guitar. Why? didnt like to have to manually crank the neck up for "Star power" so i rigged up a button. years later, they now come with said button stock.......

I just cant ever leave well enough alone. Though my current Eclipse has been relatively stockish for a while now, though it does have the turbo swap from a 90-94 car (flows more, slightly better powerband for front-wheel drive cars, little laggier which helps torquesteer/traction loss and doesnt drop out up top), intake, exhaust and Evo8 blowoff valve. Engine bay "looks" really stock though, aside from my open element K&N (which im going to build a fiberglass enclosure painted to match the car whnever i get bored enough).

Maybe i have an addiction........:dontknow:

canam9
05-22-2010, 01:09 PM
:agree:Its all good.