PDA

View Full Version : New rider; feel like I am sliding off

speedracer51
05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my new Spider yesterday. I rode it home, about 35 miles. However, I felt pretty unstable on it, especially through turns. I never pushed the speed. I think my top speed on roads that where a bit uneven was 50 mph. Does anyone have suggestions that would help me feel or actually be more stable in the seat; I feel like I am going to fall off? Would a Corbin seating system work? Are there any seatbelt mods that anyone is aware?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

Gimpy Girl
05-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey Mark,

I just got mine last Thurs and felt kind of the same way at first. Find a parking lot and make a ton of turns- you'll start to get the feel of the bike. You just gotta make circles & figure 8's and you'll start to trust that you won't fall off, and the bike won't flip nojoke Keep hitting up the empty parking lot and in no time you'll start feeling more comfortable in turns!

ataDude
05-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my new Spider yesterday. I rode it home, about 35 miles. However, I felt pretty unstable on it, especially through turns. I never pushed the speed. I think my top speed on roads that where a bit uneven was 50 mph. Does anyone have suggestions that would help me feel or actually be more stable in the seat; I feel like I am going to fall off? Would a Corbin seating system work? Are there any seatbelt mods that anyone is aware?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

For the mid-to-faster turns/curves, lean into the turn... imagine trying to "kiss" that hand grip on the inside of the turn (if you're turning left, "kiss" the left grip).

And, lighten up on your grip... loose is better.

speedracer51
05-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey Mark,

I just got mine last Thurs and felt kind of the same way at first. Find a parking lot and make a ton of turns- you'll start to get the feel of the bike. You just gotta make circles & figure 8's and you'll start to trust that you won't fall off, and the bike won't flip nojoke Keep hitting up the empty parking lot and in no time you'll start feeling more comfortable in turns!

Thanks... I plan on doing this.

speedracer51
05-20-2010, 09:09 PM
For the mid-to-faster turns/curves, lean into the turn... imagine trying to "kiss" that hand grip on the inside of the turn (if you're turning left, "kiss" the left grip).

And, lighten up on your grip... loose is better.

Thank you.

How did you know my knuckles were white!!! ;)

canchess
05-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm a t-4/5 and i have the corbin seat. That helps greatly as its like sitting in a western saddle verses the stock seat that is akin to an english saddle (horses). I would look at a corbin if i were you. Just look, you dont have to jump and get it! lol They are very nice tho and comfortable.:congrats:

dewie
05-21-2010, 09:55 PM
great question for me too, I just picked mine up and the hand brakes are just installed so I'm ready to roll. I'm a T3 para and was wondering the same thing. I am going to use a belt to hold my legs together so my feet don't move, but I was wondering about my bum sliding around.

JOKEREMPIRE
05-22-2010, 12:17 AM
great question for me too, I just picked mine up and the hand brakes are just installed so I'm ready to roll. I'm a T3 para and was wondering the same thing. I am going to use a belt to hold my legs together so my feet don't move, but I was wondering about my bum sliding around.

Maybe try some leather pants?

I know when I wear my Hein Gericke leather pants I feel like I'm glued onto the seat :roflblack:

Just an idea, keep on ryding safe,
Steve

DragonSpyder
05-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I highly recommend risers! They allow you to have your hands in front of you helping keep you in the saddle. Steering is easier too.

canchess
05-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I highly recommend risers! They allow you to have your hands in front of you helping keep you in the saddle. Steering is easier too.

:agree:
yes, and or handle bars with some pull back. I have ISCI bars and console. Those adjustable ones by kewlmetal look good too. BUT, depends on how you want your rig to look--sleek, bulky, etc. Have fun, i know you will! Impossible not to on it--its FANTASTIC :thumbup:

SethO
05-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

what is your injury?
I am a piece of 1 inch thick velco strip that I put under the seat(the farther forward the better) and velco to its self and then up under my legs and velro to its self on top of my legs like a seatbeltish..
I have a T8 sci (just below my chest) and it keeps my knees from flopping around and my feet planted on the ISCI floor boards with edges.

Anyone on here can tell you how I ride and today I pushed it harder than I have ever done and being stable is the last of my worries. Hope this helps.