PDA

View Full Version : Not happy

RTGENE
05-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Good Grief---- Nuts I am Home

So Monday it begins---I am having a serious problem getting my blood sugar right----its not normal very high then dives very low---Tuesday I get on the phone with my Doc----seems I have over heated my insulin all of it is ruined. He calls in a script for me. Wait around at Wal Mart----get what I need
---by Wednesday I have good numbers---I now have a three day supply ------ Time for me to head EAST.
Got home and Mrs Virginia reminds me I have Diabetes and I need to pay better attention.
Smilingene
More of the 66 trip tomorrow-----

Mo Lee
05-20-2010, 05:45 PM

So Monday it begins---I am having a serious problem getting my blood sugar right----its not normal very high then dives very low---Tuesday I get on the phone with my Doc----seems I have over heated my insulin all of it is ruined. He calls in a script for me. Wait around at Wal Mart----get what I need
---by Wednesday I have good numbers---I now have a three day supply ------ Time for me to head EAST.
Got home and Mrs Virginia reminds me I have Diabetes and I need to pay better attention.
Smilingene
Thank God I was thinking we were gonna have to come looking for you.
Lee

retired1
05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Glad to hear that you got it under control, had us worried for a couple days. Not a word on the forum, except that you'd left. :lecturef_smilie:
Waiting to hear what comes next:popcorn:

DynamoBT
05-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Glad you got things figured out and your Dr. helped you on the road with a Rx. Too bad about the trip. I take it you should have chilled your insulin somehow on the road? Next time you'll be better prepared.

Red Recluse
05-20-2010, 06:09 PM
I am a diabetic also but I am on the insulin pump. I like it a whole lot better than taking the shots. You change it every 3 days. You don't have to keep this insulin cold after you open it but don't want to get it too hot. It is best to keep a small lunch bag type cooler with a ice pack if you are going to be in a lot of heat. If you take two or more shots a day the insulin pump is a whole lot better and it keeps your sugar regulated better.:2thumbs:

FANG
05-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Glad to hear you are alright. Health is a fragile thing. Take care of yourself.

BajaRon
05-20-2010, 07:07 PM
How about one of these?

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aabh_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-Appliance-Site/Sites-CompactAppliance/default/v1274388947709/products/thumb/2260_th.jpghttp://www.compactappliance.com/2260-Wagan-6-Liter-12V-Cooler-/-Warmer/2260,default,pd.html?cgid=Outdoor_Living-Travel_Coolers-Portable_Coolers

bone crusher
05-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Smilingene

I'm with ya...Type I too!

Lamonster
05-20-2010, 07:18 PM
You got to have a plan, unfortunately those plans can change. :mad: Glad you made it home safe Bro. :doorag:

BumbleBee
05-20-2010, 07:20 PM
You really had us worried sick here :(

I hope you are okay again, take better care of yourself :D

Did Jane stay with Irish or did she go home with you?

bone crusher
05-20-2010, 08:55 PM

Smilingene

BTW, I always travel with a small cooler with an ice pack and blood checking machine and insulin...should never be on the road with out it...plus, tons of snacks all over the place! One reason I wanted a bunch of bags was so that I could always have what I need...

When I travel, I always make sure I have access to a fridge with a small freezer section or at least have a place to re-freeze my ice pack (regarding hotels). Humulin is quite sensitive to temperature changes, unlike the old beef/port mix. If you see crystals in your long-acting, you know you're in trouble!

NancysToy
05-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Whew! Close call! Glad you are OK. I have never had to take insulin, except when hospitalized, but I know what those fluctuations are like. Scary stuff when on the road, since you could pass out if low, with disastrous results. Too high and you feel like crap. Guess your gonna have to make an insulin cooler your next mod.

canam9
05-20-2010, 09:02 PM
I am a diabetic also but I am on the insulin pump. I like it a whole lot better than taking the shots. You change it every 3 days. You don't have to keep this insulin cold after you open it but don't want to get it too hot. It is best to keep a small lunch bag type cooler with a ice pack if you are going to be in a lot of heat. If you take two or more shots a day the insulin pump is a whole lot better and it keeps your sugar regulated better.:2thumbs:
:agree:

Tom in NM
05-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Gene, sorry I missed meeting you here in New Mexico - you must be quite a guy to have so many people concerned about you.

We ( Irish, Dick & myself ) had some good riding weather, clear roads, and some good food. There were several times that the guys mentioned how much they thought you would have enjoyed things.

Well, make sure there is a next time first - then do it.

Take care,

Tom

xpeschon
05-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Same here, Diabetic along with other health problems so I know that feeling brother.. I am happy that you are home safely but sadden about the fact that you where not able to complete this planned trip, really I am brother, I feel your pain BUT I'm sure you will find time in your many more years to make this trip and hey, look on the bright side you can start it where you left off.. Take care of yourself and I know its hard to control your blood sugar cause it is difficult for me sometimes even when I have done all the right things my number will be SKY HIGH for NO REASON,, It confussing to me at times... More fustrating I think..
Take care and see ya soon..

Joe
(X)

Firefly
05-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the update Gene. Take care, get things leveled back out and you'll get back on the Spyder in no time at all I'm sure!

Should be easy to come up with a mod to keep your drugs nice and cool.:thumbup:

dltang
05-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Thank you for checking in Gene and for the voice mail. I was getting concerned. Now we need Jane to check in. Has anyone heard from her yet.

bruceofthebronx
05-21-2010, 04:49 AM
Have not had the pleasure of meeting you yet but I was missing your humor on here.

RTGENE
05-21-2010, 06:47 AM
"you must be quite a guy to have so
many people concerned about you."

Ahhhh Tom------I have borrowed money from all these
spyderlovers.
After Virginia saw your pictures she wants to take a
vacation in New Mexico.

Marilyn,
"I take it you should have chilled your insulin somehow on
the road? Next time you'll be better prepared."

Spoken like ah wife---smile

Would you believe that I bought a really good insulated
container ---then put in a water tight ice container it was
designed to last all day.---well after the ice melted it
turned the box into a mini oven. At night every thing went
in the refrigerator. Problem was that it hit the magic
temperature and it was ruined. Marilyn you and Virginia will
get along just fine. Please remind me every so often I
screwed up. smile

Valeria I need to check on the pump----We will meet and
talk in Sept. over some good BBQ at Lamonster's.

To all the well wishers Thank You-----

Ms. Virginia was happy to see me and had dinner ready when I got home.

I unpacked every thing except the laundry bag.
smilingene

Yazz
05-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Stopping and getting your sugars under control was the right thing to do. Bet more than just you are going to put cooler mods on their Spyders.

By the way, I'm a Type 2 with other medical issues. Don't have to use insulin yet but have to be very careful what I eat on the road.

Glad to hear your back home safe and sound.:2thumbs:

pitbull
05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Welcome home pop glad to have you back!!! Your as tough as they get not even going to start to tell you what you should have done....your way smarter than I....plus you would of just said shut up you little punk, and go to your room:yikes: Welcome back to Mo Gene........guess will have to find something to do together being Mis V and Ness are going to an art show so that leaves you and me free.....any plans???lol

SpyderWolf
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Very glad to hear you made it back home safely. :thumbup:

RTGENE
05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
So here is the pictures that I saved-----I down loaded 50 more to some place. I have no idea where they went.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19768796@N03/
This time I was careful to put the pictures in order---it still did not work.

We met a guy at a bridge that had been restored----He drove up in a truck and started telling us about Rt 66---all good stuff---then about towns down the road that were speed traps---really good stuff.
He asked me if I had ever heard of "Crazy Legs" I was honest and said no.
He tells us that Crazy Legs was on Jay Leno's show and good morning America plus in a number of movies the names of which I forget. Anyway he asks me how far I would go to see him-----I asked where was he and he said 4 feet from me.
I WAS STANDING NEXT TO CRAZY LEGS.
He turned his feet around back words and I took his picture.
Its gone
Then at a gas up Two young girls pulled up to take pictures of PeeWee.
I said stand by him and get your picture taken. Then we took a group photo with me being hugged by the girls
Its gone
The rest of the pictures were of the land around Oklahoma and Texas.
They are gone
smilingene

xpeschon
05-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Sorry to see that you have lost most of your pictures, I'm sure your buddy Irish has a bunch that will be posted later... Thanks for sharing what you have though...

Joe

Tom in NM
05-21-2010, 03:09 PM
. . . . now I understand why the guy's computers would not work as they should - they were still in the Gene-Luddite-Field.

I guess they should just be happy their computers did not just burst into flames and disappear. :yikes:

Tom

RTGENE
05-21-2010, 09:39 PM
OH TOM
The Luddite Field is not the only answer.

GeminiJane
05-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Hi all -I'm home, too. Didn't realize that Brian's page didn't explain my disappearance (which I did explain in another post here today, thanks).
Have to say that I'm sorry Gene's (and PeeWee's) Big Adventure didn't work out as he had planned but am truly glad that he's home safe and sound, too.

The few days I shared with the guys provided me with lots of laughs. Too bad Gene lost the shot of Crazy Legs (underline the crazy..cause he is!) BTW not only did he appear on Jay Leno with his legs/feet pointing backward but he was in the CARS movie, which was, of course, based on Route 66. Larry the Cable Guy was Crazy Legs' voice in the movie.

The shot of the girls with PeeWee and Gene could have been a movie, or at least a cartoon, on its own. Here's that story: We've all pulled into a gas station with multiple islands of pumps to get gas. Each of us are at a different island with Gene being on the last one on the edge of the lot and I'm at the one next to his so have a clear view of the action. A car with two young (and cute) 18-20ish aged girls in the front seat and about the same aged young man in the back seat come across the lot and turn to curve around the last island where Gene is gassing up. Now Gene's got the PeeWee Herman doll strapped to the top of his trailer, resplendent in his trademark gray plaid suit. The girl driving screams out "Look at that cute little man on that trailer!" (I don't think she's old enough to even know who PeeWee Herman is.) But the young man in the back seat explained it to her. Gene, never one to miss an opportunity to flirt with a cute girl (or two!!) walks over to the car and explains about "The Great Adventure". They all want to take a picture and get out to do so. The girls in the predictable tight jeans and low cut t-shirts pop out and run over to PeeWee, lean over on each side and kiss his cheeks while the boy takes a picture. Gene is standing to the side enjoying the sight - especially the low cut blouses as the girls leaned WAY down. Never known for his shyness - Gene asks to take the "same" picture...and they cheerfully recreate the "cheesecake" pose with no modesty involved :yikes:.
Next the guy we think was a brother to one of the girls, using Gene's camera, takes a picture of Gene between the two girls with his arms around their shoulders. When Gene says "take one more" the next thing I see is the two girls snuggling up to him - one on each side, throwing their arms around him, each putting a hand on their hip and really throwing themselves into a pose that would have made Hugh Hefner proud. I walked over to Gene and told him that he's probably the only guy I know that could use PeeWee Herman to pick up girls! He kept me in laughs the whole time!

RTGENE
05-22-2010, 05:25 PM
OH MY GOSH
Did I do that-----my blood sugar must have been realllllly low because I don't remember that at all.
PLUS No pictures you can't prove a thing.

Big Arm
05-22-2010, 06:30 PM
:clap: :roflblack: :roflblack: :clap:

SpyderWolf
05-22-2010, 07:09 PM
OH MY GOSH
Did I do that-----my blood sugar must have been realllllly low because I don't remember that at all.

Outstanding defense. :clap:

Firefly
05-22-2010, 11:06 PM
OH MY GOSH

Well----dunno about blood SUGAR--- but that's one way to raise your blood PRESSURE....:thumbup:

GeminiJane
05-22-2010, 11:27 PM
OH MY GOSH

Prove it???? Anyone that has ever met you for more than 1/2 a minute KNOWS I didn't make that up. You're just lucky that Virginia knows it's all in good fun and it would scare the baggy yellow rain pants right off of you if anyone ever took you seriously :roflblack:!

Mrs. Pitbull Buggy
05-23-2010, 11:02 PM
Prove it???? Anyone that has ever met you for more than 1/2 a minute KNOWS I didn't make that up. You're just lucky that Virginia knows it's all in good fun and it would scare the baggy yellow rain pants right off of you if anyone ever took you seriously :roflblack:!

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

BMW
05-27-2010, 04:24 PM

Smilingene
Gene Glad to hear your home safe and sound. sorry i'm so late with this, just got back in town and found time to go on line.

Ben

COOLMACHINE
05-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Glad you made it home Gene. that diabetes is extremely serious stuff. of course i do not need to tell you that. Take care dude. Jerry