PDA

View Full Version : MadStad or CHAD: Has the jury reached a verdictd?

hevnbound
05-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Which is the best: Madstad or CHAD?

Latemarch
05-20-2010, 12:50 PM
I've had the Cal-Sci, still have the CHAD and Madstad.
Chad for winter, better overall protection.
Madstad for summer, keeps the majority of the wind off you with good circulation.
The Cal-Sci might work well for shorter people but it just had too much buffeting for me.

I'm 6' and sit tall in the saddle.
Full face Shoei RF-1000.

Magic Man
05-20-2010, 01:07 PM
IMHO

C.H.A.D.!

Firefly
05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
If the MadStad wasn't such a pain to adjust I think they would be very equal.... but the way those adjusting screws are at right angles to each other---- I'd have to give CHAD the nod... at least for those under 6' tall.

Rando
05-20-2010, 02:09 PM
tall F1 Slider!:2thumbs: C.H.A.D.:2thumbs::2thumbs:

Dragonrider
05-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Probably depend on which one you bought. I've owned 4 different windshields and the MADSAD 22" is the only one that worked for me - but I'm 6'4"

RShrimp
05-20-2010, 05:12 PM
I have the Madstad and dont like the way it adjusts (too difficult)
I had madstad on my V-strom and it was awesome! (stoplight adjustable)
I have been working with Mark to get a more easily adjustable solution for the spyder.

Good things are coming from Mark soon......

dltang
05-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Both Brian and I have the Madstad with 20" shields and love them. Yes they are a pain to adjust and that is one place that could be improved. But once you have it where you want it, it's all good. I like the look better than the CHAD but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

effgjamis
05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I now have the 24 inch MadStad and Adjustment is a bit bothersome for the angle and height, but once set works great for me as I am 6'2". Have no experience with chad, but I do have with the Rifle,
Calsi, Marcel (Evo3 and Slide) Both of the Marcels shieds, well let me say this.... save your money and do without. The Calsi, was just a bit short for me and I got head bobble. The rifle was a good shield, and I goofed and did not check the bolt hold ons and got some cracks. Now with the MadStad and it works very very well with my height, mabe a little longer maybe better, and If my hands were a bit protected ( rain ) It would even be a super super shield

mrb
05-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I have had the BRP touring screen, added a Laminar lip (no use to me), went to CHAD for 6 months and have had Madstad now for 6 months.
I am 6ft, use a 3" riser and Madstad is way and above the best for me.:2thumbs:

chuck58
05-20-2010, 06:49 PM
I have the 22" CalSCi in the garage and the 22" Madstad on the Spyder. I'm 6'1" the CalSci was fine until I install the comfort seat. MadStad is working great

Lamonster
05-20-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=6&pictureid=3795

bone crusher
05-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Didn't the CHAD reverse engineer the Madstad? I thought there was talk of this somewhere....if so, that's pretty unethical...anyway...

I've heard great things about both as many here have them...the only downside to the Madstad is that it is more difficult to adjust...the CHAD has a funny windshield shape that people don't like.

I'm not in favor of a huge shield but ease of use is important...I'm not sure there is a true 'verdict' with this choice...I think either way you go, you'll be happy....and I think that is what you are seeing here with all the positive responses about each...

hevnbound
05-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning toward the MadStad for reasons mentioned ... especially for the ability to use different shields. But couldn't you do the same with the CHAD adjuster???

Lamont ... Didn't you have a CHAD? Is that a MadStad in your picture ...? They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words!!

Lamonster
05-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning toward the MadStad for reasons mentioned ... especially for the ability to use different shields. But couldn't you do the same with the CHAD adjuster???

Lamont ... Didn't you have a CHAD? Is that a MadStad in your picture ...? They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words!!
That's a CHAD and it works great for me.

kytten
05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
My Madstad just arrived today. Haven't put it on yet, will probably do that on Saturday. I looked at all the possibilities and decided that the Madstad was my pick for reasonable price and options for adjustment.

IWN2RYD
05-20-2010, 09:52 PM
:yikes::thumbup:No one has had any fun in this thread yet.. So here is a little...

Stock RT FTW :roflblack::firstplace::yes: It's adjustable:yikes::doorag::ohyea:

sabunim5
05-21-2010, 09:31 AM
I have no experience with the Madstad unit. I have a CHAD, and myself and my passenger are both 5'8". I bought it so that I wouldn't have to shout in the intercom to talk to my passenger. It is wonderful, easy to adjust, great protection, with one exception. In the summer time the protection was too good. The CHAD would not flow enough air to keep me from overheating. Two weekends ago my friend Phil and I modified the mounting bracket to allow it to tip back further. Now I finally have a four season windshield that keeps both myself and my passenger happy. :2thumbs: :yes: :clap: .

Firefly
05-21-2010, 09:49 AM

You certainly can use other shields on the CHAD brackets--- just drill and mount.

I drilled and mounted a GIVI shield onto my CHAD--- works good in the hot summer. The rest of the time I run the stock CHAD shield (with rounded corners of course!).

Dragonrider
05-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Did I mention that the Madstad supports also make a great place to attach the GPS mount?? Puts the 550 right over the regular panel, and it stays put (doesn't move with the bars), like it should...

NancysToy
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Did I mention that the Madstad supports also make a great place to attach the GPS mount?? Puts the 550 right over the regular panel, and it stays put (doesn't move with the bars), like it should...
Same with the CHAD. Excellent place for the GPS!

Desert Spyder
05-21-2010, 06:56 PM
MADSTAD. Pain in the a$$ to adjust but from there it works nice. I keep looking at those supports to mount a sheetmetal tray to. Nice place to mount all my goodies including a magmount antenna for the Sirius.

Tom in NM
05-22-2010, 01:37 AM
. . . . . at least you know that the jury is still out.

I had fixed shields - they were fine - for me the CalSci was the best of the lot.

Before the Madstad Robobrackets came out, I tried to get a set of the CHAD brackets to use with my CalSci. I talked to the factory and found them to be great, but buying just the brackets ( I really don't care for the shape of the shield - even after "trimming" and re-shaping it. ) became problematic - and in my mind, way too expensive.

The Robobrackets and the Madstad shield work for me, A+. I agree that adjustment could be "easier", but that is the only thing I would change and don't feel it is a big deal.

Windshields are pretty personal things - and as you can see from all the responses, all types and sizes of riders have found their shield in both of these options. For me, it came down to price and service and Madstad really delivered on both of those - I cannot say enough good things about dealing with Mark and his product. Of the two windshield systems, the Madstad is the only one that puts their commitment to your satisfaction in writing:

MADSTAD SATISFACTION GUARANTEE

If you are not satisfied with your MadStad adjustable windshield system simply return it for a refund. If you are not happy with our product then we don't want your money, simple as that. We understand that motorcycle comfort and wind protection is a personal thing, so you have to make sure our system is right for you.

For me, that removed all the uncertainty that I had - pretty much a no-brainer, which is just about my speed. I had high expectations and was not at all disappointed.

Tom

Tom in NM
05-22-2010, 01:42 AM
MADSTAD. Pain in the a$$ to adjust but from there it works nice. I keep looking at those supports to mount a sheetmetal tray to. Nice place to mount all my goodies including a magmount antenna for the Sirius.

Is that where you are putting your http://www.dishnetwork.com/images/template/Dish_Logo.jpg? :roflblack:

Tom

Desert Spyder
05-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Is that where you are putting your http://www.dishnetwork.com/images/template/Dish_Logo.jpg? :roflblack:

Tom

Close. Directv. I wonder if I can mount my iPad there?

Dragonrider
05-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Actually, there is a car mount for the iPad that would fit right there. Great opportunity for a new app to add/replace the instrument panel!

Now, if I could only figure out how to waterproof it without that gallon size zip-lock baggie??? :roflblack:

bruceofthebronx
05-22-2010, 09:29 AM
is on my SM5, I'm 5' 10" and I'm not impressed with it. Lots of bobbing of my head at speed. It will be replaced but I'm not sure as to what I'll replace it with.

widowmaker2011
05-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Didn't the CHAD reverse engineer the Madstad? I thought there was talk of this somewhere....if so, that's pretty unethical...anyway...

I think that assumption was made several times... The Madstad adjustable system which became legendary on the Suzuki Vstrom and then the Buell Ulysses was the first to market with the adjustable motorcycle screen. The CHAD, when held up next to the original Madstad brackets is way way too close to be coincidence. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the CHAD design came from. That being said , CHAD was first on the Spyder so I guess you could say it wasn't a copy as Mark didn't have a Spyder bracket yet. So it isn't a copy of Madstads Spyder bracket but it wholly "appears" uses Madstads original design .

widowmaker2011
05-22-2010, 10:05 AM
:yikes::thumbup:No one has had any fun in this thread yet.. So here is a little...

Stock RT FTW :roflblack::firstplace::yes: It's adjustable:yikes::doorag::ohyea:

I started to type that 3 times and said to myself "don't start anything".... Glad you took the ball! :2thumbs:

bone crusher
05-22-2010, 10:19 AM
I think that assumption was made several times... The Madstad adjustable system which became legendary on the Suzuki Vstrom and then the Buell Ulysses was the first to market with the adjustable motorcycle screen. The CHAD, when held up next to the original Madstad brackets is way way too close to be coincidence. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the CHAD design came from. That being said , CHAD was first on the Spyder so I guess you could say it wasn't a copy as Mark didn't have a Spyder bracket yet. So it isn't a copy of Madstads Spyder bracket but it wholly "appears" uses Madstads original design .

thank you for the reply...who really knows if some reverse engineering was used...regardless, they're both apparently good windshields, and come fall, one will be on my bike! I wonder if Madstad will simplify their hardware a bit?

Tom in NM
05-22-2010, 11:48 AM
thank you for the reply...who really knows if some reverse engineering was used...regardless, they're both apparently good windshields, and come fall, one will be on my bike! I wonder if Madstad will simplify their hardware a bit?

Well, Mark excellent at customer support, email him and ask - you will get a straight answer from him. He is very receptive to customer input and questions. I think you will be impressed.

Tom