PDA

View Full Version : Let’s talk ergonomics

XXX 74
05-20-2010, 09:35 AM
I recently got the highway brackets/pegs from KewlMetal. You all know that their products are top notch. This one is no exception. I receive the package and was very happy with the quality of the brackets and pegs.:thumbup:
I currently have the Kury widow pegs for the driver and passenger and having 6 of the same pegs was going to be a bit too much in my opinion… I had to go with something a little different but at the same time I wanted something that would flow with the looks of my Spyder. When I saw their mini floorboard in chrome my decision was made easy… The instructions were very clear and to the point.
I put them in but did not want to share my experience until I had some miles on them…:doorag:
So let’s talk ergonomics.
We all know that there is fatigue associated with riding for long periods of time or we simply want to stop to stretch. Personally I have to make stops because my body has not been the same after my motorcycle accident some years ago. Even when I thankfully made a great recovery I feel the need to stop and rest and stretch more often that I used to…:(
I rode the Spyder with the highway brackets/pegs and: WOW. :yikes: What a difference!!! The change in ergonomics really makes a huge difference. I rode longer without having to stop. I was able to stretch my legs and the ergonomic change for my legs made me feel more comfortable and less fatigued. :thumbup:
The first time I figure it was probably the excitement of having an addition to the bike… So I decided that I was not going to say much about it and have some more miles on it… guess what? after riding several times i got the Same result.:clap:
I am very happy with the product but I am even happier with the fact that I can ride longer, I do not feel as fatigued as before and I enjoyed my ride even more.:yes::ohyea:

I just wanted to share that with all of you...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0328.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0325.jpg

FANG
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Glad to hear your ryde is now more comfortable. can you post some pics of the set up?

XXX 74
05-20-2010, 11:34 AM
I will...

You have the same brackets.. what was your experience?

FANG
05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I love them -- allows me to stretch and ride more comfortably. One of the best mods I have made. Handle bar risers are another good investment. Had the Kewlmetal been available at the time I got mine I would have gone with those for the adjustability but my ESI are great.

XXX 74
05-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Im a bit confused... only one Spyder owner experienced a big change when installing highway pegs??? :dontknow:

bone crusher
05-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Im a bit confused... only one Spyder owner experienced a big change when installing highway pegs??? :dontknow:

I have them but I have to get pics to Matt...can't get them to stay still. You have a single arm that is bolted on one side to the bracket under the bike and the other to the peg piece...they keep rolling around on me. I'll be taking a few pics tomorrow and sending them to Matt to get his take on why my pegs won't stay still. I think if the setup was triangulated (2 bolts low) it would work a lot better...

XXX 74
05-31-2010, 07:15 AM
What was the outcome?

Anybody else with ergonomics upgrade and experiences?

rattdaddy@netzero.
05-31-2010, 07:46 AM
my highway pegs are the best mod. i have! make riding 100% better:firstplace:

retread
05-31-2010, 07:53 AM
I've got the Kewlmetal mounts, had the Widow pegs, but 1 went missing. Got Iso-pegs, they made it even better than the Widows. Now I'm saving up for the hand brake, so I can stretch out for comfort and still be able to stop.:D

john

Bootie
05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
What was the outcome?

Anybody else with ergonomics upgrade and experiences?
I just installed a set of highway pegs by ISCI.:2thumbs: They are quite the improvement. Sometimes my foot slides down so I decided to try their "Cruiser Boards". These have a heel support and should be pretty supportive and use the existing bracket. I am planning a 2500 mi trip to CA (Hollister, to get Corbin seat). I suspect that by the time I get to the Spyder Event in Chitown I'll be able to give a good report.:lecturef_smilie:

jgwoods
05-31-2010, 01:43 PM
I like hiway pegs as I don't last even 20 minutes without the need to stretch out my right leg due to being an old guy with cranky knees.

I don't like taking my foot away from the brake so I only stretch when the traffic allows it. Overall a good thing to have.

XXX 74
05-31-2010, 05:38 PM
If it is not too much to ask... can you guys post pictures? I think a visual representation make a huge difference. i will take pics soon and post them...

XXX 74
06-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Another long ride and a very comfortable one I must say... :2thumbs:

this is so freaking kool ! I feel like I re-discovered ergonomics ! :thumbup:

wyliec
06-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Another long ride and a very comfortable one I must say... :2thumbs:

this is so freaking kool ! I feel like I re-discovered ergonomics ! :thumbup:

I was looking at the install instructions and it mentioned an 'optional link'. I don't see where it is offered on the KewlMetal site. Does it come with the peg mount? And, do you have the link installed?

upsdoctor
06-13-2010, 05:27 AM
You can find pictures on the KewlMetal website: http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_40&products_id=436

XXX 74
06-16-2010, 06:38 AM
I was looking at the install instructions and it mentioned an 'optional link'. I don't see where it is offered on the KewlMetal site. Does it come with the peg mount? And, do you have the link installed?

The link comes with the peg mount kit...

And no, i dont have the link installed. I tried it without the links and felt comfortable so I have not even tested them... But now that you mention it I might just do that...
I think that upgrading the ergonomics of the bike is a most for comfort... I strongly recommend it. :ohyea:

XXX 74
06-27-2010, 07:44 AM
More long rides...:2thumbs: but the weather in South Florida has been brutally hot !

Spyder#353
06-27-2010, 08:00 PM
I recently got the highway brackets/pegs from KewlMetal. You all know that their products are top notch. This one is no exception. I receive the package and was very happy with the quality of the brackets and pegs.:thumbup:
I currently have the Kury widow pegs for the driver and passenger and having 6 of the same pegs was going to be a bit too much in my opinion… I had to go with something a little different but at the same time I wanted something that would flow with the looks of my Spyder. When I saw their mini floorboard in chrome my decision was made easy… The instructions were very clear and to the point.
I put them in but did not want to share my experience until I had some miles on them…:doorag:
So let’s talk ergonomics.
We all know that there is fatigue associated with riding for long periods of time or we simply want to stop to stretch. Personally I have to make stops because my body has not been the same after my motorcycle accident some years ago. Even when I thankfully made a great recovery I feel the need to stop and rest and stretch more often that I used to…:(
I rode the Spyder with the highway brackets/pegs and: WOW. :yikes: What a difference!!! The change in ergonomics really makes a huge difference. I rode longer without having to stop. I was able to stretch my legs and the ergonomic change for my legs made me feel more comfortable and less fatigued. :thumbup:
The first time I figure it was probably the excitement of having an addition to the bike… So I decided that I was not going to say much about it and have some more miles on it… guess what? after riding several times i got the Same result.:clap:
I am very happy with the product but I am even happier with the fact that I can ride longer, I do not feel as fatigued as before and I enjoyed my ride even more.:yes::ohyea:

I just wanted to share that with all of you...
OK. That means we. Reggy and I can expect you joining us in September when we ride to Gatlinburg , Tenn. for Spyder's in the Smokies. No trailers allowed. Only trailers towed by a Spyder. :2thumbs:

XXX 74
06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
OK. That means we. Reggy and I can expect you joining us in September when we ride to Gatlinburg , Tenn. for Spyder's in the Smokies. No trailers allowed. Only trailers towed by a Spyder. :2thumbs:

wow.. the pressure... I dont know if I can handle it...:roflblack:

XXX 74
07-17-2010, 01:10 PM
here are some pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0327.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0326.jpg

Raptor
07-17-2010, 05:12 PM
No footpeg extensions for me. I ride hard so I'd never use 'em! But that's just me. :ohyea:

However, I love the look of the replacement footpeg over the stock peg. So I may be looking into those...

BajaRon
07-17-2010, 05:24 PM
here are some pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0327.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/CIMG0326.jpg

Looks really nice! Like the Chrome too!

What I like about the Spyder is you can put highway pegs on without worrying about dragging them in a turn, like you will on 2 wheels!

BajaRon
07-17-2010, 05:25 PM
No footpeg extensions for me. I ride hard so I'd never use 'em! But that's just me. :ohyea:

However, I love the look of the replacement footpeg over the stock peg. So I may be looking into those...

Try doing 1,100 miles in a day (after doing 850 the day before). You'll use them... :D

XXX 74
07-18-2010, 07:53 AM

riding hard and riding hard comfortably are two different things...
in any case there will be a time on which you would want to cruise... and then is when you use them. ;)

Try doing 1,100 miles in a day (after doing 850 the day before). You'll use them... :D

so true... :clap:

XXX 74
07-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Looks really nice! Like the Chrome too!

thanks !!

Excuse the blurry pics... i took the pics in a hurry ! I guess I should take better pics next time ! :roflblack:

BajaRon
07-18-2010, 02:14 PM
riding hard and riding hard comfortably are two different things...
in any case there will be a time on which you would want to cruise... and then is when you use them. ;)

That's because there is riding hard and then there is hard riding. One requires feet next to the controls and the other requires feet where the rest of the body can survive.

Raptor
07-18-2010, 05:32 PM
That's because there is riding hard and then there is hard riding. One requires feet next to the controls and the other requires feet where the rest of the body can survive.

All excellent points, men. I must concede to the logic. BUT I'M STILL NOT DOING IT!! :roflblack: AT least not at this point in time. But I have to say that on Friday I did a stint through some incredible scenery and I began to understand what the cruise aspect of this experience is, and instinctlively I slowed down and really enjoyed it. In fact I was loving it!

Then this amazing Ducati blew by me (I saw him coming in my mirrors and let him by; he gave an appreciative wave and shot by) and before I knew it, IT WAS BACK ON!! :roflblack: I never did catch him of course; this guy was good, and it was a Ducati for goodness sake! But at the end of the road, basically the turn-around point we passed by each other again on the way back and I wasn't as far behind him as I thought I might be. I think it surprised him a bit as well!

Bottom line; Even thogh I'm turnin and burnin now, never say never to comfort and the concept of the cruise! :thumbup:

BajaRon
07-18-2010, 09:13 PM
All excellent points, men. I must concede to the logic. BUT I'M STILL NOT DOING IT!! :roflblack:

Not a problem at all. Just giving you friendly notice. We'll get you sooner or later, and we can wait. :joke:

AT least not at this point in time. But I have to say that on Friday I did a stint through some incredible scenery and I began to understand what the cruise aspect of this experience is, and instinctlively I slowed down and really enjoyed it. In fact I was loving it!

Then this amazing Ducati blew by me (I saw him coming in my mirrors and let him by; he gave an appreciative wave and shot by) and before I knew it, IT WAS BACK ON!! :roflblack: I never did catch him of course; this guy was good, and it was a Ducati for goodness sake! But at the end of the road, basically the turn-around point we passed by each other again on the way back and I wasn't as far behind him as I thought I might be. I think it surprised him a bit as well!

Bottom line; Even thogh I'm turnin and burnin now, never say never to comfort and the concept of the cruise! :thumbup:

Awesome! I know exactly how you feel!

I rode a 10 mile, very twisty stretch in San Diego, CA mountains. I rode it every day and I knew it by heart. It had tons of turns with 2 that were posted 15mph, and they were serious! I rode a Honda Valkyrie Tourer in those days.

One summer day, coming home from work I pulled onto that road right behind a go-faster Ducati rider. His bike was AWESOME (I've always wanted a Ducati). He was decked out with the whole 9 yards, knee pads, full color match leathers, you know what I mean. It was a forested area and my intersection was angled where I could see him go by but he didn't see me.

You know how something kind of kicks in at times like this and you know your in for a good time?

Anyway, I dropped in behind him. I think he was probably pretty good but it was evident he'd never been on this stretch of road before. I stayed right with him in most of the turns. Of course in the short straight stretches he rocketed ahead but they were too short for him to get away from me.

I knew he could see my headlight in his mirrors but there just wasn't any time for him to really get a good look at me. I loved it because I was locked in and he kept having to make little adjustments. With the woods right up to the road you could not really look very far into the turns. He had to guess at what I knew was coming so I had enough advantage to push him from time to time.

I was scraping and grinding on both sides, riding to my limit and probably a bit beyond the limit of my Valk. It was GREAT! :D

Finally we came to the intersection at the end. There were 2 lanes. He took the right one, flipped up his shield and turned as if to talk to me when I pulled up.

He looked real hard at my Honda Valkyrie, got an odd expression of shock on his face, his mouth just hung open for a moment and then he flipped his shield down, pumped his Ducati into 1st gear and turned right. I never saw him again, but I had a grin for days! :yes:

I still smile when I think about it. I've always wondered about how he tells the story...If he ever does. :ohyea:

XXX 74
07-19-2010, 07:52 AM

All excellent points, men. I must concede to the logic. BUT I'M STILL NOT DOING IT!! :roflblack: AT least not at this point in time. But I have to say that on Friday I did a stint through some incredible scenery and I began to understand what the cruise aspect of this experience is, and instinctlively I slowed down and really enjoyed it. In fact I was loving it!

Not a problem at all. Just giving you friendly notice. We'll get you sooner or later, and we can wait. :joke:

We knew it will hit you Raptor... sooner or later. lol :doorag:

ergonomics and cruising go hand in hand... :D And I'm loving my highway pegs,
enough said...:2thumbs: :clap:

XXX 74
08-03-2010, 07:09 AM
and she liked them too...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/Ricky777/SPYDER/Spyder360/securedownload-1.jpg