PDA

View Full Version : Bad gauge cluster??

SpyderGirl
05-20-2010, 08:46 AM
So I planned on riding into work today when about 1/4 mile from my house the gauge cluster reset itself over and over and over. The needles were bouncing all over the place and it was lit up like a Christmas tree.

When I stopped completely it stopped and gave me the scrolling startup message and let me hit the M button to acknowledge it. But as soon As I started moving it did it all over again.

I even stopped and turned it off and took the key out and then it all happened again as I started to move.

Everything else was fine. It didn't seem to affect anything else.

Thoughts???

bodymanpainter
05-20-2010, 09:02 AM
So I planned on riding into work today when about 1/4 mile from my house the gauge cluster reset itself over and over and over. The needles were bouncing all over the place and it was lit up like a Christmas tree.

When I stopped completely it stopped and gave me the scrolling startup message and let me hit the M button to acknowledge it. But as soon As I started moving it did it all over again.

I even stopped and turned it off and took the key out and then it all happened again as I started to move.

Everything else was fine. It didn't seem to affect anything else.

Thoughts???

My wife's 08 Spyder did the same thing, a new cluster solved the problem, the only thing is the dealer can't reset the mileage on the new cluster so your mileage will not be correct. Just keep good records.:spyder:

NancysToy
05-20-2010, 09:29 AM
Could be a couple of simple things, especially since you have had your Spyder apart recently. Pull the cluster and make sure the connector is properly seated and latched. You could also just have a stuck set or mode button. Happens easily and hard to see. If you free them up, use a tiny bit of silicone lube to help keep them from sticking. If you have had the cluster apart, the magnets in the set/mode buttons might have come out of place. That will do it, too. It is possible to have a bad button magnet, but not common. I hope you don't need a new cluster.

SpyderGirl
05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I haven't taken it apart since before our 200 mile ride over this past weekend in which I had no problems whatsoever.

I will try those things. I hope I don't need a new cluster.... I was so close to my 25K.

mike3069
05-20-2010, 01:15 PM
My wife's 08 Spyder did the same thing, a new cluster solved the problem, the only thing is the dealer can't reset the mileage on the new cluster so your mileage will not be correct. Just keep good records.:spyder:

It IS possible to set the correct mileage on the new gauge, but it must be done at the time of the change out as both clusters need to be available to the technician to hook to the BUDS in order to sinc' them. Make sure the tech understands the proper order to do this in before they start the procedure.

Lamonster
05-20-2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=82599&postcount=14

SpyderGirl
05-20-2010, 01:21 PM
It IS possible to set the correct mileage on the new gauge, but it must be done at the time of the change out as both clusters need to be available to the technician to hook to the BUDS in order to sinc' them. Make sure the tech understands the proper order to do this in before they start the procedure.

That's good to know! My husband was hypothesising the same thing. He'll be happy to know that it's true.

I still have my fingers crossed it's a loose wire, but I doubt it. I am almost certain it isn't a stuck mode button as I don't use the buttons on the cluster. A new cluster will cost me $280 + tax (and possibly labor).

SpyderGirl
05-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the link Lamont, but that not really what mine was doing exactly. It never went blank, never said check engine, never went into limp home mode. I am going to take a video tonight of what it's doing and post it up. Then I am going to check the relays, fuses, and all the connections to see if it's okay.

It was just weird because it was riding like nothing was wrong. The DPS, VSS, everything else felt just as it did before.

I'll keep you all updated.

groundeffect
05-20-2010, 01:45 PM

When a new cluster is installed, and as you mentioned, the mileage is rest, are the HOURS also reset?

thanks

groundeffect
05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the link Lamont, but that not really what mine was doing exactly. It never went blank, never said check engine, never went into limp home mode. I am going to take a video tonight of what it's doing and post it up. Then I am going to check the relays, fuses, and all the connections to see if it's okay.

It was just weird because it was riding like nothing was wrong. The DPS, VSS, everything else felt just as it did before.

I'll keep you all updated.

Good luck and hopefully it does not need a new cluster. Please do keep us posted. Fingers crossed for you.

Cheers.

SpyderGirl
05-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Well it does appear (for now) to just be a loose relay. I have my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back. Those relays are so finicky.

dltang
05-21-2010, 12:46 AM
I am on my third cluster. They told me they can not get the miles reset to actual miles but the hours do stay correct. BUDS keeps track of hours, not miles evidently. So I had to write down the mileage of my first and second cluster and have to add that mileage to what my current one says for an actual. No big deal I suppose, but it would be nice if it was just correct on my current cluster.

groundeffect
05-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Well it does appear (for now) to just be a loose relay. I have my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back. Those relays are so finicky.

That sounds good, just a relay - did you replace a faulty relay, or just re-seat one? Which one?

Cheers.

bodymanpainter
05-21-2010, 08:16 AM
When a new cluster is installed, and as you mentioned, the mileage is rest, are the HOURS also reset?

thanks

The hours are not reset so you have actual hours just not the miles.:spyder:

groundeffect
05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
The hours are not reset so you have actual hours just not the miles.:spyder:

Thanks.

SpyderGirl
05-21-2010, 09:35 AM
That sounds good, just a relay - did you replace a faulty relay, or just re-seat one? Which one?

Cheers.

I just had to re-seat one. I do have a spare handy just in case though. :doorag:

SpyderWolf
05-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Glad it turned out to be something simple. Hope it stays that way for you as well.

SpyderGirl
05-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Glad it turned out to be something simple. Hope it stays that way for you as well.

Me too. I only rode it for about 5 minutes around the neighborhood, got it up to about 40MPH in 2nd gear, took a few turns... it seemed okay. We'll see how long this lasts.

groundeffect
05-21-2010, 12:53 PM
:thumbup:
I just had to re-seat one. I do have a spare handy just in case though. :doorag: