PDA

View Full Version : Scala Rider Q2 question

wyliec
05-20-2010, 08:03 AM
I have the Q2. My question is.. can you wear buds and still hear thru the Q2 headset? I want to use ear buds to hear the gps directions thru the earphone jack on the gps.

BillGargan
05-20-2010, 10:22 AM
If your GPS is bluetooth capable, it will link with your GPS just fine.

I am set up with my Garmin 660 as the center point -- my phone connects to the GPS and the Q2 connects to the GPS as well. When I get instructions from the GPS or a phone call it all happens in the Q2.

I have the Q2. My question is.. can you wear buds and still hear thru the Q2 headset? I want to use ear buds to hear the gps directions thru the earphone jack on the gps.

Silverwolf
05-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey all, does anyone know if the Scala Rider Q2 will work with the Scala Rider Q4 or G4? I have not found anything that says it would not, but I want to be sure before I buy the Q4.

Thanks
Silverwolf

Prense01
05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Hey all, does anyone know if the Scala Rider Q2 will work with the Scala Rider Q4 or G4? I have not found anything that says it would not, but I want to be sure before I buy the Q4.

Thanks
Silverwolf

According to the manual for the G4, it is backwards compatible. Range will be limited by the Q2.

Chris

Silverwolf
05-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Very kool, thanks for the update. :D

RShrimp
05-20-2010, 05:21 PM
If your GPS is bluetooth capable, it will link with your GPS just fine.

This is not true unless you have a "motorcycle" GPS
99% of the bluetooth capable GPS's will not talk to a headset as they think they are a headset and will only talk to a phone. Been down this road........
Only the Zumo, and the Rider will link both ways.

But to answer your question, I wear the Q2 linked to my TomTom Rider cell phone and wifey and wear custom fit earbuds for music from a Sirius radio.
You have to turn off the music but then you can hear it just fine.
If the earbud is just for GPS, why not just put one in your right ear???
Since GPS instructions are few and far between, you should be fine if everything is working properly (your ears, and speaker location within the helmet)

wyliec
05-20-2010, 06:17 PM
99% of the bluetooth capable GPS's will not talk to a headset as they think they are a headset and will only talk to a phone. Been down this road........

But to answer your question, I wear the Q2 linked to my TomTom Rider cell phone and wifey and wear custom fit earbuds for music from a Sirius radio.
Since GPS instructions are few and far between, you should be fine if everything is working properly (your ears, and speaker location within the helmet)

RShrimp,

Are you saying if I wear some type of earbud, I won't be able to hear my scala headset? To answer your question; the earbud is only for the gps directions. The connection cord that comes with the Q2, which connects to the gps and scala, doesn't provide much in the way of hearing the directions; what I hear is very, very weak.

BillGargan
05-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Sorry, but most all of the Garmin's that are bluetooth will allow a connection to a phone *****AND***** an audio device. This does include the Zumo line but also includes the Nuvi line. I have both and use both for both audio and phone.

It is far better to use a Zumo model on a Spyder because it is waterproof -- but, it appears many are happy with using a non-waterproof in a waterproof box. I hated using my Nuvin in a box, so my box is gathering dust in storage and I got a Zumo for the Spyder.

wyliec
05-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Sorry, but most all of the Garmin's that are bluetooth will allow a connection to a phone *****AND***** an audio device. This does include the Zumo line but also includes the Nuvi line. I have both and use both for both audio and phone.

It is far better to use a Zumo model on a Spyder because it is waterproof -- but, it appears many are happy with using a non-waterproof in a waterproof box. I hated using my Nuvin in a box, so my box is gathering dust in storage and I got a Zumo for the Spyder.

Sorry Bill,

But I have to disagree. I contacted Garmin about the 765T (which I believe you have) and they said it would not work with a headset. I told them I had the Scala. They said it would only connect/sync with a cell phone. I have tried to connect with the Scala. It does recognize it; but, I get the message- 'can't connect'. I made sure I was away from any other bluetooth device. I even went outside and the nuvi will not connect to the Scala.

I also pointed out to the Garmin rep. that the manual states it can be used with headsets. He stood firm that it does not.

But, if you read this, I have connected the Scala supplied cord from the nuvi earphone connection to the mp3 connection on the scala and the voice instruction from the nuvi is barely audible. The nuvi is turned all the way up and I tried turning up the scala volume and that didn't work. The only volume that went up was my g.f.'s voice which just about blew out an eardrum. Do you have any idea why that Scala suppplied cord seems to suppress the volume?

Thanks

BillGargan
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
We can debate this all day -- particularly if you are talking to someone at Garmin that is incompetent. They are normally crackerjack on support.

If you check the manual (attached -- ooops it is too big for this forum's limits -- try this link https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-00715-20&cID=134&pID=14926) you will find a section on using the media player (P 28) that discusses pairing a wireless headset. Page 19 covers pairing the phone.

There are two sections in the bluetooth menu -- audio and phone. You pair the Scala to the audio and the phone . . . well, to the phone . . .

Garmin on-line support has suggested that -- if you are having difficulty pairing two devices that you clear out all your pairings and pair the headset first. Once you confirm that it is working then pair the phone.

Sorry you are having so many issues, but this really does work.

Just Doo Me
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I have the Q2. My question is.. can you wear buds and still hear thru the Q2 headset? I want to use ear buds to hear the gps directions thru the earphone jack on the gps.Have you tried to use the FM transmitter on the NUVI and tune the FM on the Q2 to the frequency you select.I have a nuvi 750 this will work with the mp3 on the nuvi as well,the intercom will still come on and over ride the mp3.

wyliec
05-23-2010, 06:21 PM
We can debate this all day -- particularly if you are talking to someone at Garmin that is incompetent. They are normally crackerjack on support.

If you check the manual (attached -- ooops it is too big for this forum's limits -- try this link https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-00715-20&cID=134&pID=14926) you will find a section on using the media player (P 28) that discusses pairing a wireless headset. Page 19 covers pairing the phone.

There are two sections in the bluetooth menu -- audio and phone. You pair the Scala to the audio and the phone . . . well, to the phone . . .

Garmin on-line support has suggested that -- if you are having difficulty pairing two devices that you clear out all your pairings and pair the headset first. Once you confirm that it is working then pair the phone.

Sorry you are having so many issues, but this really does work.

I may have to pay you a visit this summer.

wyliec
05-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Have you tried to use the FM transmitter on the NUVI and tune the FM on the Q2 to the frequency you select.I have a nuvi 750 this will work with the mp3 on the nuvi as well,the intercom will still come on and over ride the mp3.

Yes, I have tried it. It took me forever to tune to the FM channel selected by the gps. There is no quick and easy way to tune the Scala, except by pressing the up and down buttons. And, once I travel past the current selected FM channel selected by the gps, I can only hope a press up or down on the Scala gets me tuned in again.