PDA

View Full Version : Canada no longer require MC License

bandwagon
05-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I was at my dealer today and one of the guys told me that Canada had lifted their law requiring MC licenses. This action is causing an alarming rate of buyers. BRP is stopping shipments outside of Canada. And possible recall of un-boxed Spyders to be returned to Canada. He said that a buyer who has already paid for a Blue RT-S will be returned his money and no Spyder. I don't know if this is true, but it stinks if that happens to anyone. Must be good news up North.:chat:

Justin
05-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I was at my dealer today and one of the guys told me that Canada had lifted their law requiring MC licenses. This action is causing an alarming rate of buyers. BRP is stopping shipments outside of Canada. And possible recall of un-boxed Spyders to be returned to Canada. He said that a buyer who has already paid for a Blue RT-S will be returned his money and no Spyder. I don't know if this is true, but it stinks if that happens to anyone. Must be good news up North.:chat:

It's only in Quebec. The first day it was announced the dealers had a line waiting outside the next morning. You have to take a 7 hour course which BRP pays for.

RodO
05-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Licensing laws up here aren't national but are provincial -- much like I imagine they are state laws in the US. In my province, the motorcycle laws are actually getting stricter and will be on a graduated system next year.

BRP has from the get-go really focussed their marketing in the much bigger US market and our dealer network up here is way behind as a result. In any event. our total Canadian market may be 10% of the size of yours just based on our populations, and Quebec's is maybe 10% of Canada's, so I'd be surprised if you'll notice any shortages.

Ryde on!

BRPjunkie
05-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Besides, in a few weeks, BRP dealers in Canda will dedicate floor space to snowmobiles as summer in Canada nears its end. :D

mofa52
05-20-2010, 09:19 AM
whow, hold on junkie, summer is just starting up here:2thumbs:

NancysToy
05-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah, but two weeks goes by before you know it! :joke:

krusin_
05-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Did you ride all winter...since we didn't see snow in the GVRD at all?

Everyone else, shush about winter already...it's just warming up in Canada and the hockey beard bears are waking from hibernation.

Neez
05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah, but two weeks goes by before you know it! :joke:Scotty, the climate mofa 52 and I live in is way milder than yours. We don't put our spyders away for the winter. Bit moist around here at times, though. However, it's not true that BC boys have webbed feet, gills and moss on their north sides.

Firefly
05-20-2010, 11:41 AM
My understanding is that BRP pushed really hard for this new law to allow more to ryde Spyders.

Can't say I blame them, but it scares me as I doubt their 7 hour course is anywhere near a good MSF course down here.

Texmac1011
05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
I visited my dealer this past Saturday. He has five 2010's (maybe 6) for sale. He said he cannot get anymore this year after they are gone.

Lamonster
05-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes, there's a new license requirement in QC. It's a 7-hour course to get a specific Spyder roadster license. However, you MUST already have an automobile driver's license. Hence, you have already learned the rules of the road, traffic behavior, etc. Conversely, you can get a motorcycle license WITHOUT an automobile license.

Before this new license for Spyder, you needed to get a motorcycle license. And, in Quebec, it's a horrible process.

10 hours in class training
24 hours practical training
3 exams (1 written and 2 practical) at DMV
Must be accompanied by another motorcyclist (on own motorcycle) for 7 months.
The process takes more than 1 year and costs $800 +

So obviously, there was a huge barrier to get a Spyder if you did not have a motorcycle endorsement.

canam9
05-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Yes, there's a new license requirement in QC. It's a 7-hour course to get a specific Spyder roadster license. However, you MUST already have an automobile driver's license. Hence, you have already learned the rules of the road, traffic behavior, etc. Conversely, you can get a motorcycle license WITHOUT an automobile license.

Before this new license for Spyder, you needed to get a motorcycle license. And, in Quebec, it's a horrible process.

So obviously, there was a huge barrier to get a Spyder if you did not have a motorcycle endorsement.

Good to know.:thumbup:

Roadkill
05-20-2010, 09:50 PM
+IMHO, they should rapidly ramp up supply and all its manufacturing facets to meet demand at all costs, without cutting destination deliveries. When the bite is hooked, you don't release.

Honestly, lifelong customer relationships are built on this kinda' stuff.

Concurrent to Polaris' Mexican realignment, there could even be additional benefit to prompt customer satisfaction...

Ride on.
Roadkill

Justin
05-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Their insurance is only around $300.00. Ours in Ontario is $1300.00. We're on the road in 10 minutes without having any experience whatsoever.lol I doubt any other province will adopt the same law as Quebec. BRP has alot of pull in Quebec.

Justin
05-20-2010, 11:04 PM
I visited my dealer this past Saturday. He has five 2010's (maybe 6) for sale. He said he cannot get anymore this year after they are gone.

My Dealer has about 40 in stock right now.

SpyderSteve
05-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Their insurance is only around $300.00. Ours in Ontario is $1300.00. We're on the road in 10 minutes without having any experience whatsoever.lol I doubt any other province will adopt the same law as Quebec. BRP has alot of pull in Quebec.
In Quebec i believe they pay about $600.00 a year just for plates, considering i pay 1000.00 for ins. + $74.00 for plates i would say it's close

Firefly
05-20-2010, 11:57 PM

WOW:yikes:.... previously sounds like it was a royal pain.

Justin
05-21-2010, 06:36 AM
In Quebec i believe they pay about $600.00 a year just for plates, considering i pay 1000.00 for ins. + $74.00 for plates i would say it's close

I believe that $600.00 has been lifted since it's considered as a car.

docdoru
05-21-2010, 06:48 AM
1043ME :roflblack:

fred
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
642$ for the provincial government licence and no-fault insurance fee plus personal insurance ...approx 350$

personally not heard or read that they will reduce the fees... they still want our coin