PDA

View Full Version : RT-S Trailer Lock

mdminc
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't think I received the trailer lock with my RT-S. Is it hidden somewhere that I've not looked? Thanks

InspectorGadget
05-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't think I received the trailer lock with my RT-S. Is it hidden somewhere that I've not looked? Thanks
It should have been included with your cords and IPod. Try looking in your cover bag.
Ask your dealer. C-YA RL

dave711
05-19-2010, 04:21 PM
mine came in a plastic bag with the spare key.

retired1
05-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Mine was in the glove box in a plastic bag.

Brevet05
05-19-2010, 06:20 PM
My dealer handed me mine; I put it behind the liner in the frunk, where the manual goes.

mdminc
05-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Looks like mine did not make it to delivery. I'll let the dealer know. Thanks.

Bootie
05-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Well, I picked up my BRP trailer for the RT. When I got home I decided to install the new lock-core. It did not go well. I got the core in, locked both the front and rear covers, went to pull the key out and the lock core came 1/2 way out.:gaah: Now I can't get the core out and I can't unlock the trailer. I took it to the locksmith this morning and let them work on it. So far they can't get the core out either. So now I have a new $4000 trailer that is sitting at the locksmith's, doing nothing.:mad:
It was probably my fault so I can't blame anyone else.:dontknow:

canam9
05-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Well, I picked up my BRP trailer for the RT. When I got home I decided to install the new lock-core. It did not go well. I got the core in, locked both the front and rear covers, went to pull the key out and the lock core came 1/2 way out.:gaah: Now I can't get the core out and I can't unlock the trailer. I took it to the locksmith this morning and let them work on it. So far they can't get the core out either. So now I have a new $4000 trailer that is sitting at the locksmith's, doing nothing.:mad:

:cus:OUCH!!!!! Keep us posted.:chat:

fastfraser
05-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry about your trailer.:gaah:

PM Dltang. Brian knows how to get into a locked trailer. You will need a special key !

Bootie
05-22-2010, 03:31 PM
:cus:OUCH!!!!! Keep us posted.:chat:
The locksmith still has my Trailer. He (they) can't get the core out either. I'll check again with them on Monday. I am kind of running out of options.:gaah:

NancysToy
05-22-2010, 05:59 PM
This was not necessarily your fault. Some of the rrunk locks did the same thing, and they were factory installed. Cylinder will have to be drilled out and all three cylinders and your keys replaced, as I understand it. I would press this as a warranty claim.

MarkLawson
05-22-2010, 07:57 PM
This was not necessarily your fault. Some of the rrunk locks did the same thing, and they were factory installed. Cylinder will have to be drilled out and all three cylinders and your keys replaced, as I understand it. I would press this as a warranty claim.

:agree:

The same thing happened to the trunk lock on my RT. The dealer called BRP, and at their advise, drilled the lock out. The dealer then ordered and replaced all locks and keys under the warranty.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16597

The difference here is that you installed the lock. While I believe you should be given replacements of all locks and keys under warranty, my might find some resistance to it.

Good luck!

Bootie
05-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks:bowdown: It is good to know that I am not the only one. I'll let the locksmiths fool with it for awhile and see what happens. I can't ride my RT, anyway, 'cause I have that dang P0524 fault code that is keeping me in the Limp Mode.:mad:
The locksmith says that if they have to drill the core out, they can make a new core that will match my original key if I can get a replacement from BRP.

IWN2RYD
05-22-2010, 10:30 PM

Bootie... It is not your fault. This is not the first time it has happened....

Three days after taking delivery of our RT-S, we had been preparing for our trip on Friday night for California the next morning. I placed a few key items in the rear or our RT-s... Locked it for the first time... Went to pull the key out... bam same issue...

As of right now they have had to order a complete new set of locks and keys for bike and trailer!!

Babymoose
05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Like others have said it's not your fault. There aren't any instructions with the lock barrel. I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up taking the inside of the trailer apart at the lock handles and I never took the lock barrel out the outside I just worked it back in and got it into proper position. You have to be careful not to lose the the little spring & ball at the back of the barrel lock. The locksmiths should be able to figure it out from behind. The problem seems to be that you have to get the lock barrel started in the right position & then make sure you have it in all the way and turn it the right way to sit in a locking tab molded into the body of the handle assembly. I had a little practice for this when I followed Gadget's instructions on modifying the locks on my Nomad saddle bag locks so they wouldn't have to be locked everytime you closed the bag lids. Check here (http://www.gadgetjq.com/baglock.htm) if you want a little idea of what the lock barrels look like and how to work with them, they are not exactly like the barrel that the RT comes with. To be a little clearer I ended up taking part of the lock barrel apart (the back end that enters into the lock handle assembly) once it was in the lock handle assembly and the tried to get the proper orientation. It can be done (without drilling it out) but is very time consuming and you need patience to make sure you don't lose parts and to be sure you have proper orientation. If you are leery of trying this your locksmith should be able to do it if you get him access to the back of the lock handle assembly. Hope this ramble helps. Should save you drilling out and getting new keys etc.

Lamonster
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=193253&postcount=3

SpyderFun
08-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Seems BRP ships a core lock which is already "keyed" to the bike's ignition and trunk to only the RT buyers.

To replace a faulty trailer core lock (one that pops out) BRP has to replace all 3 lock assemblies! Q. Why? A. So only 1-key works for all.

Why doesn't BRP sell just a single core lock? What do people do when they buy a BRP trailer to use on a different bike (say BMW or Honda)? :dontknow: I would love to see a non-Spyder RT person walk in and say that want to buy a trailer WITH a lock and see the dealers response! Seems like another well thought out situation BRP was on top of - NOT. :gaah::banghead:

Are the 622 Trailers ONLY available for sell to current and future RT owners? If so, then the BRP trailer will go the way of the dinosaurs due to lack of foresight, poor decision and low sales. nojoke

Wouldn't have been cheaper for BRP to pay a locksmith to re-key a keyed core versus paying for the replacement of all 3 lock cores? :chat:

ThreeFeet
08-29-2010, 12:53 AM
I bought the BRP trailer and went on my merry way to Wisconsin and the first time I wanted to lock it found out DIDN'T HAVE A LOCK!!!! Intersting so I faked anyone who would be looking by sticking a key ( any key) in the hole where the lock SHOULD be. Works for anyone who is trying to fake out a bad charactor. ( spelling???:yikes:) Soo when I got back from trip I went to my dealer and they put the thing on order. That was in July this is now Aug going into Sept and the lock STILL hasn't showed up. BRP is REALLY FALLING DOWN IN MY BOOK:cus::cus::cus:. Stupid things like sending a trailer out to ANYBODY with out a lock is pure STUPIDITY!!!! and unacceptable. I've NEVER had a trailer that had doors etc on it that you couldn't lock. Sheeeese BRP get with the program and help the guy out!!! (I found out they do look at this site by the way:spyder::helpsmilie:)

clueless
08-29-2010, 09:02 AM
you didn't get your lock with your bike? mine like others was in the small glove box in a plastic bag ..

also dont bring it to a locksmith guys. bring it to a dealer. we did and they were able with support from BRP reinstall the lock WITHOIUT drilling out the core!

ours came out half way and the key removed but the this was the rear trunk so the rear trunk and side bags were locked with our gear inside! lucky not helmets. but dealer is able to fix sometimes without a locksmith or drilling out. just an FYI if you can get to a dealer first ;)

and I think there maybe a service bulletin for the lock issue... but since the original core being re-installed properly by dealer it has not been an issue again... I am just more gentle when locking and unlocking rear trunk now... twist slower the key and not as hard when twisting the key

SpyderAnn01
09-06-2010, 10:26 AM
I did not get the trailer lock or spare key when I bought my RT used so when I bought a trailer I was surprised to say the least that there was no lock on it. My dealer ordered the 3 locks with keys $150 and is planning on changing them out when I return from my trip next week. So today I took the instructions along with the service bulletin and tried to install it. It would not "click" as the instructions said it should. I asked my husband to help. He thought it had clicked and so he closed the lid and tested the key only to have it come halfway out. The lid is closed and now we are stuck!!! I shoed him Lamont's link about the vise grips but I don't know if it is working or not.

I'm leaving Wednesday for a long trip and need the trailer.

This seems ridiculous to say the least.

SpyderAnn01
09-06-2010, 10:44 AM
He got the first one out using Lamont's technique. We decided to try it again with the second lock barrell. This time we kept the lid opened even after the "click". He turned the key 45 degrees as it said in the instructions and wouldn't you know it, the barrell pulled out again. Now he is disassembling the inside of the trailer to remove the barrell from the inside per their instructions for what to do if the barrell falls out.

I hope we get it fixed before the Smokies. I better go help I'm hearing lots of 4 leter words.