PDA

View Full Version : How difficult is it to change my Font Shocks?

Sopher
05-18-2010, 10:32 PM
I am interested in possibly changing the front shocks. But how?
I have a jack and four stands. How is it done?
I have wrenches.
I have two hands.
I have 1 mind.

Firefly
05-18-2010, 11:20 PM
I have wrenches.
I have two hands.
I have 1 mind.

Simple stuff.

Just jack the spyder up from the center frame enough to take a bit of pressure off the tires-- but not quite off the ground--- and remove the old shocks.... can be done in 1/2 hour easily!

manchild
05-18-2010, 11:49 PM
Speaking of shocks. Every time I had mine in for service I had em check my shocks..no problem really..just that they squeak..sounds more like a shock mount squeak or something. The last time the service manager told me this was normal..said mine didnt squeak as bad as some he had heard. So is this the norm for spyders?? I have an 09 rs..and I am now doing my own service on the bike and will take elsewhere for warranty work if needed.

Firefly
05-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Speaking of shocks. Every time I had mine in for service I had em check my shocks..no problem really..just that they squeak..sounds more like a shock mount squeak or something. The last time the service manager told me this was normal..said mine didnt squeak as bad as some he had heard. So is this the norm for spyders?? I have an 09 rs..and I am now doing my own service on the bike and will take elsewhere for warranty work if needed.

Never had mine squeak at all.

Pogo
05-19-2010, 01:54 AM
Speaking of shocks... they squeak..sounds more like a shock mount squeak or something. The last time the service manager told me this was normal..said mine didnt squeak as bad as some he had heard. So is this the norm for spyders??...

I've never heard mine squeak either. If it is the mounts, then you might be able to quieten them with a suitable lubricant. Experiment by spraying the mounts with a penetrating lubricant (careful not to lubricate your front brakes :yikes:) and see if it helps. If so then it is worth finding out where the squeak actually comes from and looking for a proper solution.

Cheers;

Pogo.

Sopher
05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
OK.So now what type/brand/model shocks do you all recommend?
Think price conscious here.

Firefly
05-19-2010, 11:50 AM
OK.So now what type/brand/model shocks do you all recommend?
Think price conscious here.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17752

Spyderjuice
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM

I had squeaking on mine, but it turned out to be grease fittings on the front that didn't get greased when the dealer set the bike up. There are three or four on each side. One dealer told me it was normal and another took off the plastic except the trunk and greased it up and no more squeaks. (thought he might have to take the trunk off to get to one fitting on each side, but didn't have to in the end.) PS... enjoyed meeting you at bike fest in Asheville. My yellow spyder was parked next to yours. :doorag:
Stan

NancysToy
05-19-2010, 01:56 PM
I had squeaking on mine, but it turned out to be grease fittings on the front that didn't get greased when the dealer set the bike up. There are three or four on each side. One dealer told me it was normal and another took off the plastic except the trunk and greased it up and no more squeaks. (thought he might have to take the trunk off to get to one fitting on each side, but didn't have to in the end.) PS... enjoyed meeting you at bike fest in Asheville. My yellow spyder was parked next to yours. :doorag:
Stan
These are also supposed to be greased at the 600 mile service.

txknight67
05-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Stan

I could reach all four of mine without removing any panels. Just had to crank the handlebars the opposite way.

manchild
05-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Stan

Hey Stan!
Nice meeting you there also! We had a blast..did get a lil wet on the ride home tho..but all in all a great trip! Thanks for the tip..I knew it wasnt "normal". Thats one of the many reasons I am gonna start taking mine elsewhere for any work..but I may try it myself first.:2thumbs:

BajaRon
05-20-2010, 11:40 AM
How difficult is it to change my Font Shocks?

Piece of cake! I just park my Spyder at Lamont's for a day or two.

Trouble is, I'd end up with his old worn out shocks and my good ones would be on his ride! :yikes:

I don't ride a "Parts Bike" for nothing you know! :D

I'm safe now, though, because he's running Elka's and there isn't any chance those will end up on the Parts Bike! :thumbup:

Bootie
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM
I have wrenches.
I have two hands.
I have 1 mind.
I just finished installing Elka Shocks on the front of my RT.:yes: It took about an hour including getting the tools together and pulling the tupperware.
I purchased the shocks from Kewlmetal and had no problem. :D

05-21-2010, 05:04 PM
I know you were asking about shocks, but it is (IMO) worth looking into replacing the sway bar at the same time or even first. The sway bay from Ken will do as much as new shocks or more to improve cornering. If it is a change in ride quality you desire, shocks could do more. I also believe that the bar is less expensive than new shocks.