PDA

View Full Version : Information on Serious Clutch Problem SM5

Jornie1
05-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Where to begin? This isn't pretty gang!! I paid a visit to my dealer today to discuss the problem posted on this site, (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19376 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19376)), concerning the SM5 serious clutch problem on my new RT. The news isn't good. With only 621 miles on my machine, the engine has to be pulled which involves extreme measures and the nearly total disassembly of my beloved Spyder RT.
Here's the scoop:
According to my most trusted mechanic. Don't want to mention his name....for obvious reasons. He thinks there were mistakes made in the original assembly. The clutch shaft coming out of the transmission is damaged and not turning in the bearing surface properly, (it too was damaged). The damaged end putting some drag on the clutch assembly even with the clutch lever is fully depressed. That's where the pressure on the gear train prevented me from being able to shift out of 1st gear with the engine running. For those of you wanting make sense of all this, take a look on page 249 in the shop manual and you can see the (clutch shaft) from the transmission entering the clutch assembly. In the picture labeled (Clutch Shaft Free Pinions), from the left end of the shaft there is a splined portion and then a smooth part of the shaft, it is on the very end of the smooth portion of the shaft that is damaged, from assembly or some other way and is putting torque or friction on the clutch assembly, trying to turn it even with the clutch dis-engaged. The clutch shaft MUST be replaced as is the damaged bearing surface in the beginning of the clutch assembly. So... Major surgery is required. Yep... I'm nervous about the whole thing. Will I purchase additional warranty.. "Count on It"... Have I come to grips with the "Why Me" question... Nope!!! I know you aren't supposed to swear on this site but "DAMN"... this is very serious. I'm just glad it didn't happen in the middle of nowhere. Nervously awaiting the next 14 days.. I was told to expect this ordeal to take that long... Len

Lamonster
05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I thought I was the only one who had that kind of luck. :gaah:

It sounds like you got a good wrench working on it and I'm sure it will be worth the wait, just suxs that it happened at all. nojoke