PDA

View Full Version : Oil level check

gmopsman
05-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Newbie question: I have checked the oil a couple of times per the directions and when I first check it it shows to be full. However when I wipe off the dip stick and screw it in the second time and recheck it the oil level is showing in the lower one half of the scale. Is this normal, Which reading is right.
Thanks

RShrimp
05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
The second read is correct.
Remember, warm engine, screw it back in and remove, dont just "dip it"

In a dry sump system the level is less critical, (it's not like the crankshaft is in the tank) just make sure there is some in there.

gmopsman
05-18-2010, 11:11 AM
As clarification , when I pull the dip stick the first time , wipe it off, and screw all the way back in and then back out to recheck it the oil level is showing full. If I check the second time scewing it back in I get the lower reading. The second reading is the correct one?

groundeffect
05-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Newbie question: I have checked the oil a couple of times per the directions and when I first check it it shows to be full. However when I wipe off the dip stick and screw it in the second time and recheck it the oil level is showing in the lower one half of the scale. Is this normal, Which reading is right.
Thanks

Follow the instructions in the manual or on the side of the oil tank. You want to check it when it is WARM (take it for a 5-10mins ride to get it up to OPERATING TEMPERATURE-at least three temp bars on the cluster), first. Let it then idle for at least 30 seconds as per the instructions, shut it down and check on a level surface. ALWAYS wipe the stick off and screw the stick back in COMPLETELY to get an accurate reading.

Oil should be checked very 500km.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

groundeffect
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Namely....

To obtain a precise read- ing of the engine oil level, follow this procedure and make sure engine is
at normal operating temperature.

1. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
2. Remove the LH middle side panel. Refer to BODY section.
3. With the engine already at normal operating temperature, start engine and let it run for at least 30 seconds.
NOTE: Running engine for at least 30 seconds allows the suction oil pump to drain the oil from the engine crankcase back into the oil tank. Not carrying out this step could result in overfilling the engine oil.
4. Stop engine.
5. Unscrew and remove the oil dip- stick.
6. Wipe off the dipstick.
7. Reinsert and completely screw in the dipstick to assure an accurate reading.
8. Unscrew and remove the dipstick again.
9. Check the oil level on the dipstick. It should be near or equal to the upper mark.

Oil Level is at or Near Upper Mark:
1. Properly insert and tighten dipstick.
2. Install the LH middle side panel. Re- fer to BODY section.

Oil Level Under Operating Range:
1. Add a small amount of recom- mended oil.
2. Repeat the above steps until oil level reaches the dipsticks upper (F) mark. Do not overfill.
3. Properly insert and tighten dipstick.
4. Install the LH middle side panel. Re- fer to BODY section.

NancysToy
05-18-2010, 11:46 AM
You may be waiting too long before the second check. The oil level must be checked within 30 seconds of shutting off the engine. Also, if the engine is not at full operating temperature (not just warmed up to three bars on the water temperature gauge), it may be cooling off too fast to get an accurate reading. Oil could be leaking back through the check and wet sumping a little, but to do it that rapidly, on a new machine, is unusual.

gmopsman
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the responses. The coolant temperature was at 4 bars and should not have been an issue. Since I had already removed the side panel the first check was within 30 seconds. The second check was as quickly as I could wipe off the dip stick screw it in and then back out to check it. The spyder only has alittle over 450 miles on it. The dealer is saying the first reading is correct. If so where does the oil go when I take the second reading. I am inclined to think that the second reading is correct as previously stated above.
thanks

Firefly
05-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the responses. The coolant temperature was at 4 bars and should not have been an issue. Since I had already removed the side panel the first check was within 30 seconds. The second check was as quickly as I could wipe off the dip stick screw it in and then back out to check it. The spyder only has alittle over 450 miles on it. The dealer is saying the first reading is correct. If so where does the oil go when I take the second reading. I am inclined to think that the second reading is correct as previously stated above.
thanks

If your first check was done without removing the dipstick and wiping it off first--- then it's not correct as you'll have oil 'slosh' all over the dipstick.

You really only have time to stop engine, pull dipstick, clean off, replace and check it ONCE. By the time you would check it again it's too late. Start the bike back up and wait at least 30 seconds.

I do mine at the END of a ride --- not the beginning.

sabunim5
05-18-2010, 02:19 PM
"I do mine at the END of a ride --- not the beginning."

+1 :thumbup:

groundeffect
05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
:thumbup::thumbup: I have a post-it note on my work bench as a reminder as soon as I pull into the garage.

"I do mine at the END of a ride --- not the beginning."

+1 :thumbup:

Reinyn
05-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Just FYI, my mechanic that I really trust told me the most accurate way to check the oil level was with the bike running.

Firefly
05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Just FYI, my mechanic that I really trust told me the most accurate way to check the oil level was with the bike running.

On a dry-sump system like the Spyder????

gmopsman
05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Firefly, When I check it as you stated it shows full. Thats good enough for me thanks.