PDA

View Full Version : Can Am Tank Bag

Country Spyder
05-18-2010, 07:00 AM
is the tank bag worth the $$$? Getting ready for a long trip and was thinking about getting one.

Thoughts?

CS

LittleJohn
05-18-2010, 07:23 AM
is the tank bag worth the $$$? Getting ready for a long trip and was thinking about getting one.

Thoughts?

CS
Let me preface this with my cost of my tank bag....Free! (so I am biased...LOL)
I like havin a bag there. Its handy to keep sunglasses, helmet lock cable, and other knick knacks that dont need to be locked up but easy access is convenient. The bag seems to be holding up well, but if it ever wears out, Ill modify a cheaper bag with straps to fit the mount that comes with the BRP bag. It is a neat way they mounted it.

NancysToy
05-18-2010, 07:23 AM
BRP bag is quite small, and very limited. Nancy has used hers very little. You may want to think about the Nelson-Rigg bag as an alternative.

hawkiii
05-18-2010, 08:07 AM
I used to have a Gortech tank bag, it appears bigger than the BRP bag but I find I can velcro my communications package, mp3 and garage door opener to the sides of the BRP bag and still have plenty of room for misc stuff. I like my BRP bag.

bone crusher
05-18-2010, 08:10 AM
I love my tank bag...get it on ebay and save some money...it is waterproof, unlike other options, and fits the bike perfectly...you don't need a huge bag in your lap while you're riding...the BRP bag fits perfectly and looks nice...the badging on it is nice too.

I have been in a few serious thunderstorms with my iphone in it and NOTHING gets wet...it's the best way to go, IMHO...and worth the money...

You can always find them cheaper on ebay...get it there...

Dragonrider
05-18-2010, 08:26 AM
I got my bag as part of my purchase. If I had to do it over, I'd opt for the Juice Bag - small bag with a speaker for my iPod... but, I use the bag on every ride - sunglasses, fingerless gloves, and my handicap tag is safe in the map window.

musicarcade
05-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I love my tank bag...get it on ebay and save some money...it is waterproof, unlike other options, and fits the bike perfectly...you don't need a huge bag in your lap while you're riding...the BRP bag fits perfectly and looks nice...the badging on it is nice too.

I have been in a few serious thunderstorms with my iphone in it and NOTHING gets wet...it's the best way to go, IMHO...and worth the money...

You can always find them cheaper on ebay...get it there...
:agree:
Get one on Ebay or from someone selling here- BUT I haven't found the bags to be waterproof. I've found things to be damp if left in the rain. Also the black bottom will bleed a little bit and discolor your :spyder:.

Some Guy
05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a Cortech mini-tank bag and it works great...plus, it's half the price of the BRP tank bag. The Nelson Rigg bag seems like a good bag as well and it's bigger than the BRP.

Firefly
05-18-2010, 09:43 AM
I like the BRP tank bag--- use it for all kinds of stuff.

SpyderGirl
05-18-2010, 10:04 AM
I think a tank bag in general is worth the money, especially if you really use it (which we do). It's a great place to stash your extra keys, wallet, that bag from the drive-thru... etc.

bone crusher
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
:agree:
Get one on Ebay or from someone selling here- BUT I haven't found the bags to be waterproof. I've found things to be damp if left in the rain. Also the black bottom will bleed a little bit and discolor your :spyder:.

Hmmm...I have had my bike get soaked and never a problem. It does have a felt bottom so I guess it could get damp if you leave the bike wet for long periods of time.

As far as the bleeding onto the bike...yeah, this happens a bit but no biggie as I will always have a bag there.

It is essentially waterproof...if it rains, you're fine (provided it's zipped up)...

I leave my bike in a garage so I don't have to worry about it staying in a wet environment for long periods of time...I'm more worried about a downpour when I'm on the bike...for this, the BRP tank bag is very good...for that matter, so is the bag that goes on the rear rack...I picked one up for about $40.00 on ebay...that was a great deal!!!!

Saluda
05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I think it's a real nice bag. Worth the money ? All their accessories are over priced in my opinion.

bone crusher
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I think it's a real nice bag. Worth the money ? All their accessories are over priced in my opinion.

If you can get it cheaper, like on ebay, it is well worth it...

dltang
05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Hmmm...I have had my bike get soaked and never a problem. It does have a felt bottom so I guess it could get damp if you leave the bike wet for long periods of time.

As far as the bleeding onto the bike...yeah, this happens a bit but no biggie as I will always have a bag there.

It is essentially waterproof...if it rains, you're fine (provided it's zipped up)...

I leave my bike in a garage so I don't have to worry about it staying in a wet environment for long periods of time...I'm more worried about a downpour when I'm on the bike...for this, the BRP tank bag is very good...for that matter, so is the bag that goes on the rear rack...I picked one up for about $40.00 on ebay...that was a great deal!!!!
I like my BRP tankbag too but also found it is not waterproof. I have ridden in all types of weather and in the downpours, it can get very damp inside and the bottom can get soaked. I have a large plastic bag I can put over it if I know I am going to be riding in bad weather. I also put a microfiber cloth under it to avoid the rub marks and discoloration of my tank piece. It was starting to happen and so I added tank protectors and use of the cloth. I think any tank bag that fits well and works for your purposes would be good. I have added powerlets to mine so I can plug things in which makes it even better.

bone crusher
05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
I like my BRP tankbag too but also found it is not waterproof. I have ridden in all types of weather and in the downpours, it can get very damp inside and the bottom can get soaked. I have a large plastic bag I can put over it if I know I am going to be riding in bad weather. I also put a microfiber cloth under it to avoid the rub marks and discoloration of my tank piece. It was starting to happen and so I added tank protectors and use of the cloth. I think any tank bag that fits well and works for your purposes would be good. I have added powerlets to mine so I can plug things in which makes it even better.

Deb,

Interesting, you are the second person to say this...I have not had this issue...I have been in SERIOUS thunderstorms and have gotten soaked to the bone, but nothing in my tank bag has ever gotten wet...I do keep the bike in a garage, so things do dry out nicely, but there is no entry point for water and the only place it can get damp is through the bottom, if water sits there for a while...

The zipper configuration is made to keep out water and I find it does a great job...any water must come up from the bottom, and this can only happen if it's wet for a long period of time...

ARtraveler
05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Had the BRP tank bags on my original 2008 and wifes 2009. She still uses hers regularly. They are okay--but not a lot of space. Now I use the glove box on the RTS, but it is WAY SMALL.

sabunim5
05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
I use a full size tank bag. The BRP bag is too small for my needs and can scratch/stain the plastic. IMHO

Rando
05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9268&highlight=perfect+tank

Firefly
05-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Had the BRP tank bags on my original 2008 and wifes 2009. She still uses hers regularly. They are okay--but not a lot of space. Now I use the glove box on the RTS, but it is WAY SMALL.

I would LOVE to have that cool 'glove box' on the RS/GS. Just love how it's not even noticeable. If someone came out with an aftermarket Y panel that had a feature like that........ :thumbup::thumbup:

jgwoods
05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
I have one. I don't love the zippers and think they will break soon as I have to tug a lot to get things zipped up- even when it is nearly empty. Other than that I like it fine.
I put my Fastlane/EZpass transponder in the window pocket on top and it gets read every time.

pierrelogic
05-18-2010, 04:24 PM
I have the Nelson Rigg tank bag and use it every time I ride. Side pockets are nice and the bag itself can carry quite a bit. More room needed? the bottom zipper provides even more storage. Check Spyderwolf's comprehensive review HERE (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18692)

As far as waterproof...I store the bag that comes with it right in the bag and when pulled over the top it is 100% waterproof.

YPILOT
05-18-2010, 05:10 PM
http://www.newenough.com/parts/luggage/tank_bags/nelson_rigg/cas455_can_am_spyder_tank_bag.html

SpyderWolf
05-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I have the Nelson Rigg tank bag and use it every time I ride. Side pockets are nice and the bag itself can carry quite a bit. More room needed? the bottom zipper provides even more storage. Check Spyderwolf's comprehensive review HERE (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18692)

As far as waterproof...I store the bag that comes with it right in the bag and when pulled over the top it is 100% waterproof.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D :thumbup:

bone crusher
05-19-2010, 12:03 AM
I use a full size tank bag. The BRP bag is too small for my needs and can scratch/stain the plastic. IMHO

What are you putting in the tank bag anyway? I can't figure out how much space is needed up there?? How does it scratch the plastic? I've had mine for almost 2 years and don't have a scratch...what is sharp enough on the bag to scratch the plastic?

I can put my sunglasses, phone, water, juice, keys, bars, and whatever else and be fine...plenty of room...and if it rains, I'm good to go...what are people sticking in a tank bag that is so large?

I also have the bag that goes on the sport rack...that one usually has nearly nothing in it because all I need fits in the tank bag. I think the function of the tank bag is for 'essentials'...

As far as getting a bag that needs a cover, that is silly to me. The idea of a bag is to provide protection from the elements...needing to cover a bag with essentially a bag defeats the purpose for me...there's enough to worry about just getting dressed to ride the bike...more things to cover/uncover is a hassle.

Some complain about staining...:hun:...if you have a bag there, you'll always have a bag of some sort...if the black from the microfiber bottom leaves a bit of color, so be it. Any material will bleed color if it gets wet and sits for a while...honestly, there's no harm with the BRP bag...and it is waterproof on its own (unless, I guess, it gets wet from underneath and sits that way for a long period of time)...I've never had moisture in the bag before...

What to use for a tank bag is obviously a personal choice. I know we all try to do our own thing and feel many times that BRP products don't stand up to after-market options. For the tank bag, I'll stick with the BRP...I've been in enough downpours to know that contents do not get wet...I love that bag...as I do the back bag and now the hard bags I just got...

If people think the price is the limiting factor, just go on ebay and save a bundle...the bag fits the bike perfectly...

Roger
05-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Let me preface this with my cost of my tank bag....Free! (so I am biased...LOL)
I like havin a bag there. Its handy to keep sunglasses, helmet lock cable, and other knick knacks that dont need to be locked up but easy access is convenient. The bag seems to be holding up well, but if it ever wears out, Ill modify a cheaper bag with straps to fit the mount that comes with the BRP bag. It is a neat way they mounted it.

LJ i'am curious you have a helmet lock why not just put it in the frunk.:dontknow:

LittleJohn
05-20-2010, 07:39 AM
LJ i'am curious you have a helmet lock why not just put it in the frunk.:dontknow:

I agree that would be the easiest. I however am a bit too anal and tend to keep alot of emergency stuff on the bike. Basic tools, compressor, tie wraps, electric meter, tire plug kit, dual tire gage, etc. This all takes up room and is stuff I dont want stolen. Its easier to lock up the helmet on the rare occasion I need to than to figure out where else to keep this stuff. If my memory serves, ive only had to use my emergency stuff once on my own bike, but all the others I ride with that have needed somethin are eternally grateful!
Just a matter of choice really.:2thumbs:

slurpeegirl
12-02-2016, 04:46 PM
How is the bag? Will it go on my 2012 can am spyder rs-s?

I have a Cortech mini-tank bag and it works great...plus, it's half the price of the BRP tank bag. The Nelson Rigg bag seems like a good bag as well and it's bigger than the BRP.