PDA

View Full Version : Windshield

Questions
05-18-2010, 03:39 AM
Hey there,

Do your Windshields also move about a bit when going over bumps and stuff?
Can it be tightened up, Im worried about it working loose.

NancysToy
05-18-2010, 11:23 AM
mine will wiggle just a bit and it flexes in the wind thats normal. it you are worried put some blue lock tight on the bolts that hold it on
Don't use Loctite on windshield screws. It will cause the plastic to crack!

DeeKay53
05-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Mine has wiggled that much that the coating on the support has rubbed off and marked the plastic screen. Another warranty issue!!!!

1BLACKSPYDER
08-12-2011, 11:14 AM
I find it hard to believe that with all of the talented people on this forum no one has found a fix for this problem. ( I wonder if Lamonts RT windshield moves around? Bet not!)
I tried nylon washers on the 3 pins with only minor success. My guess is that the play is where the arms are attached to the motor. I will be on that next week.
Hard to find any posts about it, maybe it's only a few bikes that have this problem or maybe they all do and it's normal.
I expected a little more for $28k:helpsmilie:

Y Rider
08-12-2011, 11:44 AM
I plan on putting small rubber grommets on the ends of the pins to see if they will hold the pivot point tight enough to keep them from rattling. It's really annoying when going over rough roads.

J W Miller
08-12-2011, 12:46 PM
My windshield will shake on bumpy roads some what to, as a matter of fact my whole fairing shakes a little to much for my liking. I really have not found any way to fix it.

Y Rider
08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
...as a matter of fact my whole fairing shakes a little to much for my liking. I really have not found any way to fix it.

I believe this is just the nature of the beast. There are only four screws that hold the console module in place. Two in the front and two (one on each side) in the back. The console module rests on foam so the console module is going to shake a little.

SC92
08-12-2011, 06:08 PM
The arm that controls the windscreen adjustment broke on my Spyder. When it was replaced under warranty I expected that I would get an improved arm to replace the broken one as my dealer told me it has a new part number.
When I went to pick it up, the whole assembly including the Motor, worm drive, all three arms and the mounting frame for all of it that mounts onto the bike under the tupperware came complete ready for replacement, plug and play.

Well to cut a long story short, this new assembly allows no movement in the windscreen so that it no longer shakes about on rough roads.

Actually, if I grip the side of the screen with my fingers to check sideways movement, the whole bike will rock slightly from side with no movement in the Screen.

It can be Fixed!!!

:clap:

ThreeWheels
08-13-2011, 05:47 AM
There are TWO issues with the windshield.

First as DeeKat53 stated, the windshield shakes inside it's support so that the windshield and support rub together and are both damaged. The simple fix to this is to add a washer in between the the support and the windshield. The steel shank inside the grommet rests on the washer giving just enough space in between the the windshield and support so they don't rub.
This was my first warranty repair that I had after about 3K miles.

The second is that the entire windshield, support and all, bounces around on the windshield control arm. The arm breaks. Mine went at about 16,500 miles. I had the entire mechanism replaced the same as SC92, and just as he stated, it was a new part number. I was told that the original casting might have been porous.

I've noticed that there is much less side to side shake on the windshield, but it hasn't gone away completely. Maybe I'm riding bumpier roads ??

NancysToy
08-13-2011, 08:16 AM
My 2010 showed no shake, but my 2011 shakes and rattles like crazy. As was said, the origin seems to be excessive play at the outer arm pins. If I get ambitious someday, I may drill out the cast holes and insert bushings, but I really don't mind the shake and rattle...as long as nothing falls off. :D

dave01
08-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Mine shook so much it wore the paint off the bracket mount. I placed small rubber grommets between the frame and screen but it still moves too much. This and the mirrors are something I would love to see fixed on future models