PDA

View Full Version : Bulletin 2010-0004 updated but now....

2manycars
05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
I just had my RT in for its 600 mile service. I mentioned the 2nd to 1st gear brake and stall issue I had for a brief time. They did the software update, and all was well. Today it started downshifting to 1st but rather than stopping when I applied the brake it wanted to keep moving, as if I were still applying throttle. Shifting to N resolved the problem, but I am not sure which is worse-stalling when I come to a stop or this.

Is the problem one and the same? Also my dealer insists he has never heard of this issue, and never heard of any service bulletin regarding changing the clutch bearings to resolve the problem.

Has a servie bulletin been released for this issue, and does it contain a "Do Not Ride" warning due to safety factors ( I may be sorry I asked!)

taggtr
05-17-2010, 10:38 PM
My Spyder RT-S is in the shop right now waiting for the clutch parts. Dealer service dept contacted BRP and before dealers had to send in the whole clutch assembly to BRP, but now that they know what the problem is they send the parts to the dealer and the service dept does the repair in house. I've told the dealership about the program update, so hopefully they will take care of that as well.

Tenfour57
05-18-2010, 06:30 AM
My RTS-SE5 is also in the shop for this creep/stall issue. The creep part is what you are asking about...When your foot is on the brake at a stop, the bike still wants to move forward. I don't know if the 2010-0004 service bulletin (Gearbox Position Sensor Initialization) fixes the creep part of the problem, but it doesn't fix the stall issue. That is fixed by changing out some bearings, which happen to be backordered til at least the end of this week, per my dealer, per BRP. My dealer now has four other Spyders in line after mine for this clutch fix... hmmm...

I worry that it will be hard to tell if either one is fixed or not, since it didn't happen every single stop. I guess only time and miles will tell!

I do not know for sure if there is a DO NOT RIDE bulletin, but I did read something on a thread here the other day about that... Would that be the same as a RECALL? It surely is not safe. I have also read about some Spyders getting stuck in a certain gear and they can't drive it, so that is enough for me to DO NOT RIDE and get it to the dealer.

Lamonster
05-18-2010, 08:27 AM
As far as I know my RT was the first to get the roller bearing replacement to address this problem and it has been a good fix for me, no issues in the last 10,000 miles since the roller bearings were replaced with needle bearings. The 0004 bulletin is a different issue that can effect the SM and SE RT's.

2manycars
05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
I contacted the dealer, and they say they will contact the BRP. They were not sure if BRP will give the the go ahead since they could not duplicate the problem. They seem to understand that the problem is intermittent, but they are not sure what BRP's policy is on this.

I told them it is disconcerting to think you are stopped and have to keep holding down the brake, or shift into neutral before it actually is fully stopped.

Jornie1
05-18-2010, 09:17 AM
RT SM5 Clutch Problem
My RT A&C SM5, is also in the shop. The dealer had to come pick it up on a trailer. While sitting stopped in traffic, myRT started creeping forward, with the clutch lever fully depressed. Pressing the brake to stop the machine the engine died. Somehow the clutch seemed partially engaged therefore braking killed the engine. I managed getting the machine home into my driveway but by that time I was stuck in 1st gear and couldn’t shift up or down with the engine running. I didn't try forcing the shift lever as I was afraid of bending or breaking some part of the shift mechanism. I could move the shift lever with the engine stopped. Having only has 621 miles and is well within warranty territory... But I wanna' go riding!!
So I'm not alone with this problem....Len...:dontknow:

IWN2RYD
05-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Ours is doing this, and it gets worse the warmer it gets. The last time it happened (Four times in two hours) We ended up holding the brake, stalling... Would NOT go into neutral... In the turn lane in the "finishing" end of a turn......

I struggled with the knowledge of those behind me and the danger we had been in.... I finally pressed on the brakes just enough to allow the engine to crank over... Used the Starter for about 3-4 feet to move the Spyder before it started... Moved out of the intersection and off the road....

Took the Spyder in... They told me BRP had no idea of what I was talking about when I referred to our forum. But that BRP said the "Update" should work.

I went back, picked up the Spyder and it still stalled on me (Had to hold the brake again so I would not hit the car in front of me). Still has the same issue.

So I went home and sent my dealer one of the many links that is expressing this problem. Now I am not able to use our $30k ride. It sits in our garage awaiting there answer....

WHAT A JOKE. If this was a Suzuki I would have been fixed by now. And before I get jumped.. Yes all companies play this game. But these bikes are not for kids and do not cost $10k. My $6k Suzuki LTZ400 had a chemical reaction to the clutch plate and fluid... One trip to the shop... New plate.. Four months later they had a recall for any and everyone to come in and get a new "Cover" and free oil/filter change...

Clearly BRP has a true issue and they need to stop acting like Toyota and fix this issue now. Period. nojoke

2manycars
05-19-2010, 12:19 AM
I had the software update done and told the dealer about my stalling and moving issue-they did the update and now does not seem to stall but instead wont always stop when going from 2-1 and applying the brake.

i am not ure how to proceed. Like yourself I spent almost 30K and now every time I take it out I worry about the problem.

The dealer says to go and have fun with it and stop worrying so much-great answer. Unless BRP will allow them to change the clutch bearings I am stuck unless they can duplicate the problem, and thus far they say it is fine. I would be much better if it did it all the time, at least then they would be able to contact BRP and get a solution.

I do not want to worry about taking any long rides where there might not be a dealer handy and than be stuck-really stuck

2manycars
05-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I have been telling them to call BRP for a while now, and called again today to tell them the stalling/moving problem was still occurring.

They finally called and told me, "Yes, BRP is aware of the issue and will be sending the parts (which happening to be needle bearings-which is exactly what I told them two weeks ago thanks to the board)". They are of course backordered

I said next time I mention something I saw on the board I hope you won't say "the people on the board are not mechanics and almost always do not have correct information." I also told them I wanted the bike picked up and re-delivered. My dealer said that was up to BRP but they are not responsible for the pick up and delivery. I might agree except that I told them prior to my 600 mile service to order the parts.

Thanks for all of the CORRECT information everyone. Now I have to wait for the parts, which i hope will not take forever.